HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always made it a habit of “writing things down”, capturing important events as a way to help me logically sort through the information, to prevent forgetting crucial items and to more effectively assimilate new skills and lessons. When it comes to training, that I either conduct myself or that I participate in, creating and then publishing an AAR or after action report has been the norm. And I’ve found the people who follow me, and have similar interests, appreciate the insight, so the effort on my part continues to be worthwhile.

Last weekend, my buddy, Ben and I loaded up and headed back to my old stomping ground, just outside Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. There, we met up with a handful of experienced shooters on a small range, on a very warm August Saturday morning. We had assembled to take part in what was loosely called Intermediate Handgun Tune Up, provided by Justin Dyal, of Dialed In Training.

Though a far more accomplished shooter than me, Justin however is also retired Marine Officer and someone, who, on occasion, enjoys sharing his knowledge and experience by providing firearms training courses. Also, like me, Justin somewhat flies under the radar of the more well-known and social media famous firearms trainers, which we both agree is a probably good thing. Justin is also the kind of person who takes a very deliberate and well thought out approach to how he designs and conducts his training. So, when Justin invited me and Ben to attend this weekend of training, we jumped at it. His courses are always small in size and often by “invite”.

The focus for this specific course fell into four categories:

-Modulation, otherwise described with the acronym of FAST: Functional Accuracy at Situational Tempo

-Technical Accuracy

-Strong Hand

-Mobility

For functional accuracy, we discussed the reality of needing to balance speed, with accuracy and widened our combat effective hit radius from 3 to 25 yards to be within an 8’ circle. Of course we would strive for a tighter accuracy (and often achieved it), but when you take into account stress, the speed angle and the fact that in a real world situation, we may be reacting, widening our acceptable hit radius made sense.

The first drills focused on trigger modulation, which would be practically applied based on the distance from target and available time to engage. At extreme close ranges, we practiced the “crash”, where the entire finger is engaged to fire as quickly as possible. As the distance increased, we transitioned to the “roll”, using the middle and distal phalange and sweeping through without stopping in the trigger pull. Then, at the longer distance, we transitioned again to the “prep” for maximum accuracy potential. By using just the finger tip, we were able to isolate as much movement as possible, taking the slack out of the trigger and then pressing through the wall.

As we progressed through these drills, Justin had us use standard 8x10 bullseye targets as well as series of smaller circle targets to simulate a plate rack at distance, and the dreaded 3x5 card for precision accuracy to simulate head shots. When we began to be pushed by ever increasing challenges with decreasing times, we’d hear Justin shouting, “slow down and get your hits in”. Most often, I found that comment to be a subtle reminder to get me to focus on “rolling” instead of “crashing” the trigger, especially in that 5-7 yard range from target.

As you would expect, Justin’s demonstrations were always on point. And because he’s a huge fan of legacy weapons, and in a way to prove that the techniques being discussed work just as effectively for current weapons as those older ones, he even pulled out a WWI-era Webley revolver and still crushed the accuracy and time requirements.

I’m always interested to find new drills that zero in a specific task and stack upon those previous skills and Justin had no shortage of challenging drills to push us all out of our comfort zones. Perfecting the draw, firing rapidly from a relaxed presentation and even simplifying movement and working from the ground.

But my favorite focus area was on strong hand. Justin presented an entirely new approach that literally just “clicked” for me and I immediately felt more comfortable with shooting strong hand.

We wrapped up the course with a series of drills that pulled all four of the focus areas together and it was awesome to see that regardless of our individual proficiency levels or what weapon each student was shooting, we were all performing and a high level and enjoying the pressure associated with trying to reach new goals.

Now I’m confident in saying that none of us get enough training. Life simply gets in the way. And that’s why it is all the more important to make sure that when you are going to invest your time and money into a course that it will be worth it. Just about every course out there will check the box of “having fun”, but finding those that are as well thought out in their construct and presented in a way that allows the students to make rapid gains in proficiency should always be your goal. Justin focuses his efforts on making those who are already good shooters even better, and I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to just focus on being a student again too. If you’re looking for an upcoming opportunity to train with Justin, you can reach him through Dialed In Training via Instagram.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Justin is a good friend of mine, we literally just got off the phone 5 mins ago, talking about that class. You shot one of my drills on day two, which he included as a favor for me to get more data on it. Glad you liked the class, I always benefit from shooting with Justin.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justin is a good friend of mine, we literally just got off the phone 5 mins ago, talking about that class. You shot one of my drills on day two, which he included as a favor for me to get more data on it. Glad you liked the class, I always benefit from shooting with Justin.
Yes, he mentioned that when we were preparing to shoot it. Lots of fun and challenge in it!

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have to keep Justin in mind.

Good to hear, Sir!
...and some new concepts to adapt into November's Advanced Concealed Carry Course!

·
Registered
SP5K, Mk23, USP, P30, HK45, P2000
182 Posts
and some new concepts to adapt into November's Advanced Concealed Carry Course!
Lookin forward to it
Webley is still on my list, right up there after the P7 and 1903 Hammerless

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had an amazing class with Justin back in May – good reminder to get on my own AAR for it. In my limited expertise I would unhesitatingly call him a master instructor. His ability to provide context around some basic but difficult to master fundamental concepts was totally eye-opening. I couldn't recommend training with Justin enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had an amazing class with Justin back in May – good reminder to get on my own AAR for it. In my limited expertise I would unhesitatingly call him a master instructor. His ability to provide context around some basic but difficult to master fundamental concepts was totally eye-opening. I couldn't recommend training with Justin enough.
Justin is one of the few guys out there who can really break stuff down and understand how it all fits in. When I am struggling with something, or even just experimenting to try to get better at something, he is usually my first call to discuss it. Never fails to shed some light on the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts