HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only 200 rounds through my new full sized USP 45. When I first brought the gun home and field stripped it, I noticed that the black finish on the forward end of the recoil spring/rod appeared to be very worn. I called the dealer to ask if the gun was indeed "brand new". He assured me that it was brand new. Anyway, I just got around to taking a photo of the end of the rod today. What you see in the photo is EXACTLY as it appeared when the gun was brand new. Firing the 200 rounds has not increased the level of "wear" at all. The surface of the slide that mates to the end of the rod looks pristine, with no marking or discoloration at all. The areas of the rod end that appear white in the photo are actually bare metal. Anyone else ever seen one like this??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a USP .40, and while i am not 100% sure i think they have similar recoil springs. Mine looks very similar to that but i have 2500 rounds or so through mine. I would say, if there is no serious scarring of the metal, you are good to go. Then again if you are paying top dollar for a brand new gun of this caliber (no pun intended) it would be nice to see everything "new".

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
850 rds through my USP 45 and it looks like yours...and looks the same when I bought it may 2011... date coded 2011

nothing to worry about

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Ya'll got me curious. Pulled one from my KF date coded full fize USP .45. Retainer you show on mine is all black, with a small silver ring where blue is polished off right around the rod. This one has around 2000 on it, slide/barrel/slide release have been hard chromed at around 500 rounds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I noticed that too when I got my first USP 45 about three years ago. Shot a few hundred rounds and it looked like that.

I guess it's normal.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It's perfectly normal, and not an issue at all. That does not indicate that your gun was used. We feel you. We all know what it's like to examine our first new pistol, and fret over every little perceived blemish. It's all good. . . don't sweat it.

The only thing wrong with that gun is the fact that it hasn't been shot enough! Go out and shoot it man, and don't obsess over a little paint on your recoil spring retainer! :wink:

:490:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts