HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm a fairly new HK fanboy . Bought a USP45 back in the 90's but sold it 5 years ago to buy a Ed Brown .
I now own 3 VP's . Anyway what's the attraction to the MK23 ? I'm sure they're great shooters but other than a BBQ gun or a novelty range gun just what does everyone do with theirs ?
Also is there holsters available ? My outdoor gun club requires holsters .

·
Banned
151 Posts
I can only speak as a new guy to the MK23, relatively so, but here are the reasons I wanted one and bought one. But quickly let me say, in answer to your question, "Are there holsters? The answer is a big "yes." Safariland make them for a drop leg configuration. You can buy Bladetech holsters designed specifically for the MK23 from HK Parts and there are other sources. Search this forum, lots of information.

Why a MK23? For me here are the reasons.

First, I am a very big guy. I have XXXL sized hands. The MK23 is not "too large" for me, in fact, it feels "just right."

Second, I wanted the most rugged well-tested and well-proven handgun chambered in 45ACP that I could find. The MK23 fit the bill. Read up on its history and development and testing.

Third, I wanted a handgun I knew I could depend on to hell and back. Paranoid? Maybe. But, the MK23 is the ultimate in SHTF handguns. Load it up with 13 rounds 185gr JHP +P rounds and you have a force to be reckoned with against man or beast.

Fourth, and this is extremely important, I like the DA/SA mode on this handgun in because you can carry it cocked and locked and have immediate access to a SA trigger if you want it, or you can just dial it back to DA first shot, then SA thereafter. On this HK model you do get the best of both worlds, in my opinion, and I'm not aware of many other (any other) DA/SA handguns that offer this level of versatility with trigger options in a hammer fired weapon.

Fifth, I like the threaded barrel and suppressor option as a possibility, and with 45ACP you have a subsonic round that is able to be very well suppressed, unlike supersonic rounds that still produce a noisy "crack" regardless of suppression or not.

Sixth, the long sight radius, for me, helps me be more accurate with my handgun. The MK23 gives you over 7" of sight radius. It's amazing. Combine that with the unique rifling in the barrel and o-ring and you have a match-grade accurate hangun right out of the box.

Seventh, the recoil system on the MK23 gives you perhaps the softest shooting 45ACP you will ever experience. Very easy to get shots off quickly and on target rapidly. Tames the 45ACP. Unlike a 9mm, when you shoot a 45ACP you do have a noticeable perceived recoil.

Is it just a novelty? I suppose for some it is. A BBQ gun? Not sure what that is, perhaps you mean, something to show the guys and let them drool over it, sure, it's that, but who gives a shat about that?

CAVEATS Let me also make this point very clear. The MK23 is NOT a good choice for EDC. It is heavy and large. The right tool for the right mission. I would not recommend the MK23 to a person looking for his first handgun, or a handgun useful for concealed carry purposes. And I'm not really sure unless you are able to open carry every day it is the right choice for EDC either.

PS - I own and use three VP9s and love them. Shoot them suppressed, etc. They are my EDC carry weapons. Love my MK23.

(I suspect you will too).

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Preus covered it. I'll add that the Mark 23 is the softest recoiling 45 I've ever fired. Suppressed, it is a kitten and really good for follow up shots. The BBQ aspect is not why I bought mine but is definitely a factor. It does attract attention when it comes out. Mostly it's guys who know guns that notice. The most common reaction is surprise at how light it is and well it points. It gets plenty of grins from those who fire it.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Preus covered it. I'll add that the Mark 23 is the softest recoiling 45 I've ever fired. Suppressed, it is a kitten and really good for follow up shots. The BBQ aspect is not why I bought mine but is definitely a factor. It does attract attention when it comes out. Mostly it's guys who know guns that notice. The most common reaction is surprise at how light it is and well it points. It gets plenty of grins from those who fire it.
Thanks for that comment. I totally neglected to mention the recoil spring system in the MK23. I added it to my list. I look forward to more comments and adding more insights to my list. I'll just save it and trot it out anytime somebody asks going forward.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At the risk of upsetting the die hard HK guys. I had wanted one for years mainly for use in the winter as the 1911 trigger guard is to small for large gloves or trigger finger mitts to get a good position. I was highly upset when trying it in DA the glove goes under the trigger and stops it before firing. The pistol its self is not that big as some say, other than the longer slide it is about the same size as a PARA P14-45. Not sorry I got it but was not as impressed as I had hoped I would be. 800 rds in 3 months with the 23 only FTF was a weak hand shot I limp wristed, smacked the mag and back in action. I was looking at the HK45 but after comparing the HK45 to the USP with gloves on I got the USP. Every pistol nut should have a MK23 in their collection but I could not recommend it for everyday carry or as the only pistol to have it was designed as an offensive weapon so you would have to look at your intended use. My 23 will be carried in a chest rig every winter on the snowmachine and come mid Feb I will give it and the USP a test run at -30 or -40. IMG_2503sm.jpg IMG_2508sm.jpg

·
Banned
151 Posts
If you remark upsets "die-hard HK guys" they are just that "HK guys" and not knowledgeable weapons and tactics guys.

Sir, I concur that it does not lend itself well to EDC, in fact, I'm not too convinced any full sized handgun lends itself well to EDC concealed carry. Not concealed? It is not an issue. But many are not in a position to consider open carrying as a matter of course, every day, to those who are, good for you. Many of us are not able to do that.

The right tool for the right mission is the point here.

This is a point that many people can not quite understand. It is all mission specific.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Yeah, there are far better options for concealed carry. I don't even think the 1911 makes sense as a concealed handgun. They weigh heavily toward the end of the day. It's like moving around with a boat anchor strapped to the waist. Some can do it, but I prefer comfort too.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Well, as for comfort, one old guy told me that a concealed carry handgun should be comforting, not comfortable. I've never forgotten that. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This is why ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1479345641.617334.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Preus- my connection is so slow you had everything covered in the time it took me write and post. You even stated it better than I.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the Mark 23 is just something most people don't understand until they feel one, and shoot one. But even without shooting it, there's something different about it that you notice...

Racking the slide feels... different. The feel of the barrel unlocking from the slide, the silky smooth action, the solid "ker-chunk" sound it makes along the way. No other pistol slide that I've handled feels the same way, no matter how big.

And then you get ready to fire the gun. Your finger rests on the trigger, which, again, feels different... Solid, cold metal, it gives you the feeling of quality. Ribs along the face of the trigger give your finger extra grip, and give a subtle reminder when your finger placement is where it should be. You start to apply pressure, and realize there's barely any takeup until you've hit the wall. What follows is a clean break... for whatever reason, no one seems to talk about the Mark 23 trigger, which is one of HK's better triggers.

Then the loud bang... but you don't feel much force being sent to your wrists. The gun flips up, but it gets back on target... faster than you think it should have. Hours of reading about people yelling about "high bore axis" on the Internet would lead you to believe that it'd take 10 years to get the gun back on target. But your sights are aligned again before you realize. You let the trigger out, and then suddenly, you hear and feel a click. That's the other thing no one seems to talk about on the Mark 23. The reset is among HK's best. I've not felt anything better, VP9 and USP Tactical included... It feels shorter, more audible, and more tactile than both.

And so you fire it again. And again. Over and over again. You keep on hitting what you're shooting at, because the gun is just that darn accurate. You almost have to try to miss. It almost gives you a mild euphoria.

And that's the Mark 23... It's not a gun you buy because it has a nicer spec sheet then some other gun, or because it's super practical or anything. It's a gun you buy for the experience. It's a gun you buy, not for the end result of seeing your super tight groups on paper, but for everything you feel on the way there. It's a gun with a story, a history of its own, a conversation piece in its own league. You can laugh at the Mark 23 all you want, or say that you can buy 4 Glock 21s for the price of 1 Mark 23. But until you feel it, and shoot it, you just won't get it.

(I guess I was really bored when I typed all of that).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Besides what everyone else is saying I believe it is the most over-built over-engineered handgun to ever see service.

I have no doubt I can never wear one out or break it. The accuracy is match grade to go along with this combat reliability and insane durability.

Is it too big too conceal? Practically, yes. But not every gun needs to be a carry piece.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Honestly, I love the MK23, but can't really point out one, single "why."

I made a comment on another forum about how I had owned several different .45's in an attempt to like the round, but I never could shoot it that great, and couldn't get myself to pay 45 acp prices to train up to where I already was with 9mm. Azimuth then contacted me and said "hey, you're close. I've got a .45 you'll not only be good at shooting, but you'll LOVE shooting it." I said, yeah right, but won't give up an opportunity to shoot a new gun.

We met at a range and Azimuth had me try (if I'm remembering the order right) a P220, an HK USP Tactical, and then the HK MK23. I walked away grinning, and knowing I wanted one. I then bought one a few weeks later.

Even if it is a BBQ gun, or a range toy, or what-have-you, I love shooting it. If I need a self-confidence boost or a good therapy session at the range, the MK23 is the first gun I grab.

Oh, I also do have an IWB holster for it. I think the longest I've carried it is about an hour, though. For a nice OWB holster, I'd recommend R Grizzle Leather - Home - I had one, but foolishly sold it with my first one.

So for me, it comes down to
1. A .45 I actually enjoy shooting, and can shoot well. (I rang steel at 200 yards with it once.)
2. A dang good suppressor host for my Osprey .45 can.
3. A fun gun to blow off steam with, or to let friends shoot - Everyone walks away with a grin.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Besides what everyone else is saying I believe it is the most over-built over-engineered handgun to ever see service.

I have no doubt I can never wear one out or break it. The accuracy is match grade to go along with this combat reliability and insane durability.

Is it too big too conceal? Practically, yes. But not every gun needs to be a carry piece.
Ah, you just gave me another point for my little article...the accuracy because of the unique rifling and the o-ring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts