HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have striker fired guns but I shoot more with my DA/SA hammer guns . ( CZ,Sig, Beretta ) . So when the price of P30's V3 went down I was all set to buy one until I shot one owned by a friend of mine .
I can honestly say it had the worst DA/SA Trigger of any gun I've shot . The take up, over travel, and reset were extremely long .
Nice break though. So is it just me that feels this way ?
I really want to like this gun.Is there a way to improve the trigger without spending a lot of money ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Guess you should get a different gun. Wanna sell me yours?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a p30 as well. Love the gun but the trigger is different. Long reset. I found my self not letting the trigger out to reset. An easy training fix.
If the p30 had the usp trigger in it. It would be awesome.
My p30 has the safety so I might sell it anyway and if I replace it I will get one with out a safety.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Guess you should get a different gun. Wanna sell me yours?
English is not my first language but it doesn't seem like he owns one to sell it to you. Lack of attention, or something else?

So is it just me that feels this way ?
I really want to like this gun.Is there a way to improve the trigger without spending a lot of money ?
This is an HK fan forum so you can't say anything bad about HKs. That said, the DA/SA triggers on some of the HK's lines, specifically P30 and HK45, suck pretty badly so you're not alone in your feelings. Without spending a lot of money you can pick up a 12 and 10 lbs hammer springs as long as your friend is OK with experimenting. It takes a couple of minutes to swap one, and the pull will get better. Not the distances you mentioned, of course. 12 lbs works with just about all ammo, and you have to be ammo selective when using 10 lbs spring.
Your other option is to look at the USP line. DA/SA triggers on those are pretty decent. in fact, the SA pulls on some of those are great out of the box.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I picked up a used P30 V3 about half a year ago at a gun store for a good price. After I cleaned it up inside & out and properly lubricated it I found it had a fairly nice single action pull, but the double action pull was the typical HK. Generally speaking most models of CZ and SIG have better DA/SA triggers (but HKs are overall much cooler and more intelligent pistols).

You could install a light firing pin block spring (PN 209296) to lighten the single action pull a little without spending too much. The spring is accessed by driving out one roll pin on the slide so the mechanical aspect is not overly complex. Like YVK mentioned above you could also experiment with changing out the standard hammer spring for one with a lower spring rate.

If you want to completely change you trigger system and you don't mind a mechanical challenge (and the possibility of messing up your pistol) you could try converting the P30 V3 to an LEM as described here on this forum:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...t-v3-da-sa-p30-p30s-p30l-p30ls-v1-v2-lem.html

You can go with a "Light" LEM with the V3 trigger spring or a "Medium" LEM with the V4.1 trigger spring. Changing out the aforementioned trigger block spring will also help improve the LEM feel. I converted my V3 to an LEM with the medium spring rate trigger spring and I love the way it feels. It also eliminates the heavy double action trigger weight from normal firing and provides a constant trigger feel. The LEM also eliminates the need to use the decocker before safely reholstering

·
Registered
585 Posts
i've always been one to believe that if you shoot the gun enough you will get use to the trigger.

if you bounce around between various guns as some do (including myself) of course the trigger will feb different

of course this is just my opinion but i come from an LE background so i have only used factory triggers in guns that i carry. i have a few guns with modified triggers but they only see competition and range use. if you use a gun with a modified trigger a defense lawyer will eat you alive in court

·
Registered
128 Posts
TM, I agree that shooting a gun is the best way to get used to the trigger, but I'm not sure abut getting "eaten alive" by a lawyer in court if I modify my trigger. I think the safety advantages of the HK LEM trigger are worth the effort required to modify my own personal pistol.

In all due respect, in life we make our choices and take our chances.

i've always been one to believe that if you shoot the gun enough you will get use to the trigger.

if you bounce around between various guns as some do (including myself) of course the trigger will feb different

of course this is just my opinion but i come from an LE background so i have only used factory triggers in guns that i carry. i have a few guns with modified triggers but they only see competition and range use. if you use a gun with a modified trigger a defense lawyer will eat you alive in court

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is there a way to improve the trigger without spending a lot of money ?
Like Tactical Medic said. Just shoot the gun and practice. I went from custom 1911's to a P30 LEM. After several hundred rounds the trigger smoothed out and I got used to it.
I really like it now and since it is a carry gun there is no way I would modify it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
TM, I agree that shooting a gun is the best way to get used to the trigger, but I'm not sure abut getting "eaten alive" by a lawyer in court if I modify my trigger. I think the safety advantages of the HK LEM trigger are worth the effort required to modify my own personal pistol.

In all due respect, in life we make our choices and take our chances.
like i said, my opinion. i can promise you will never see a LE duty weapon with nothing but a factory installed trigger. the reason being what i stated. and i agree also that in life we make out own choices....some choose wisely and some don't.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I have striker fired guns but I shoot more with my DA/SA hammer guns . ( CZ,Sig, Beretta ) . So when the price of P30's V3 went down I was all set to buy one until I shot one owned by a friend of mine .
I can honestly say it had the worst DA/SA Trigger of any gun I've shot . The take up, over travel, and reset were extremely long .
Nice break though. So is it just me that feels this way ?
No, get a VP9. Don't mess around with the P30. If you are set on a DA/SA get a full size USP with match trigger.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd also recommend getting a P30 with a V1 (light LEM) or V2 LEM action. It's a much easier transition from striker-fired to LEM than to DA/SA. Most of the HK DA/SA guns do not have a reputation for possessing a stellar trigger; in my experience their LEM triggers and striker-fired triggers (in their P7 and VP/SFP guns) are far superior-not only to other HK actions, but to their competitors' actions as well.

As others have mentioned, I'd also concur in recommending that you try both a P30 with LEM and a VP9, and see which one works best for you-they're both superb guns, with no bad decision to be made between them. And while there are currently some superb prices to be had for P30s, most of the incentivized pricing seems to be centered around the .40 P30 models, so the VP will usually be significantly lower priced, if pricing is a crucial criteria.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree my USP Compact has a better trigger than my P30, and when I first picked it up I didn't like it either. After a bit of use I rather like it. Sometimes it just takes time to get used to something new.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd also recommend getting a P30 with a V1 (light LEM) or V2 LEM action. It's a much easier transition from striker-fired to LEM than to DA/SA. Most of the HK DA/SA guns do not have a reputation for possessing a stellar trigger; in my experience their LEM triggers and striker-fired triggers (in their P7 and VP/SFP guns) are far superior-not only to other HK actions, but to their competitors' actions as well.

As others have mentioned, I'd also concur in recommending that you try both a P30 with LEM and a VP9, and see which one works best for you-they're both superb guns, with no bad decision to be made between them. And while there are currently some superb prices to be had for P30s, most of the incentivized pricing seems to be centered around the .40 P30 models, so the VP will usually be significantly lower priced, if pricing is a crucial criteria.

Best, Jon
Thanks Jon. I'm well covered with the VP9's. I've got 3 of them.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
like i said, my opinion. i can promise you will never see a LE duty weapon with nothing but a factory installed trigger.
You need to familiarize yourself with actual case law, as opposed to opinions that do not have any proven legal basis. The Alvarez case, where the prosecution tried to unsuccessfully exploit a modified LE issued weapon is over thirty years old. On the other hand, I am yet to see a single reference to a court case where a justifiable shooting led to a conviction because of a modified gun. You have come a court case reference like that?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thanks Jon. I'm well covered with the VP9's. I've got 3 of them.
I had my 45c converted to Light LEM to feel closer to my VP9, and it's magical. Give it a try, much better if used to strikers, as I am, as the DA/SA just wasn't doing it for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You need to familiarize yourself with actual case law, as opposed to opinions that do not have any proven legal basis. The Alvarez case, where the prosecution tried to unsuccessfully exploit a modified LE issued weapon is over thirty years old. On the other hand, I am yet to see a single reference to a court case where a justifiable shooting led to a conviction because of a modified gun. You have come a court case reference like that?
perhaps you need to read a little better. i stated both times it is MY opinion. am i not entitled to have an opinion or is that apparently it only disagrees with yours?
you have your opinion and i have mine, nothing else. i am retired now so i see no need to review case law any more.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes, I saw it. Don't you think that opinions are best based on facts?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I bought a new P30LS in late 2013. On mine the SA was very nice out of the box (crisp, smooth with no grit, and almost no creep) but the DA was not so much. After 500 rounds or so fired the DA was noticeable better. Then I put in a Wolff 10LB hammer spring, down from factory 12LB on P30L, and the light FPBS and now the DA is really nice at about 8.5 LBs. Over 1000 rounds fired with a wide variety of ammo and no issues. My P30LS is now one of my favorite pistols to shoot among my SIGs P226/P229/P228/P220, other HKs including VP9, and CZ SP01. Total investment was $10 worth of springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/HK - HECKLER & KOCH/USP/cID1/mID26/dID136 -- hammer spring for USP which works with the P30

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-sku760000831-72885-148807.aspx?sku=760000831 --- HK hammer spring rated between 10 and 11 lbs which works in P30

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...-sku760001115-72704-149091.aspx?sku=760001115 -- light FPBS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts