HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - noob here :410: Awesome forum!

I've had a fullsize USP 45 for several years and I've had my CHL for two years - but I've never really carried because the USP is too big. I like the USP a lot - though it did jam once during my test! :eek:

I've had a very hard time finding a gun that I want to carry because I don't feel comfortable without a manual safety. It looks like the USPC is my best bet (I'd LOOVE to have the updated features of the HK45 - but I really want a 9mm)

Anyway - to the questions:

1) Any general advice for my upcoming purchase?
holsters that work well with this gun? I have an Uncle Mike's in-the-pants holster that I like okay for the fullsize.

2) brand of night sights that most folks use?

3) Big box store vs local gun shop? There's a little gun store around the corner that quoted me $779. That seems fairly reasonable.

4) Good rounds for self defense or anything to avoid?

5) Oh - also - I haven't seen any good part number charts that break out how they identify the variant number and the nickel/blued finish option. Does anyone know the full part number for a blued variant 1?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can tell you that my CCW is a USPc in .40 and I love it. It came with the Trijicon night sights already installed and they work great. My holster is an OWB leather Rossi made for the Glock 19. It fits the USPc like it was made for it suprisingly. I couldn't be happier with the combo. Just out of curiousity, why are you downgrading from a 45 to a 9mm? I would think the proper step for you would be looking into a USPc in .45 first, then maybe a .40? But that's me, if you want a 9mm, more power to you and good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the info! I was leaning toward the Trijicons based on a couple other posts I saw.

I don't have a great reason for the 9mm - I've just always wanted one, the ammo is cheap (though 'cheap' is kind of out the window now that I'm looking at an $800 gun ;) ), and I figure I can be more accurate on successive shots with lighter rounds.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi all - noob here :410: Awesome forum!

I've had a fullsize USP 45 for several years and I've had my CHL for two years - but I've never really carried because the USP is too big. I like the USP a lot - though it did jam once during my test! :eek:

I've had a very hard time finding a gun that I want to carry because I don't feel comfortable without a manual safety. It looks like the USPC is my best bet (I'd LOOVE to have the updated features of the HK45 - but I really want a 9mm)

Anyway - to the questions:

holsters that work well with this gun? I have an Uncle Mike's in-the-pants holster that I like okay for the fullsize.

3) Big box store vs local gun shop? There's a little gun store around the corner that quoted me $779. That seems fairly reasonable.

5) Oh - also - I haven't seen any good part number charts that break out how they identify the variant number and the nickel/blued finish option. Does anyone know the full part number for a blued variant 1?

Thanks!!!

1. If you can get it from a local shop for a similar price to what you'de find online, do that. It's always nice to have local support if you need it.

2. Trijicon, Meprolight, XS, Heinie all make great sights. Find some you like and go for it.

3. See #1

4. DPX, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, Ranger T's, lot's of good ones.

5. I dont think they import the two-tones anymore. Here's the USPc owners manual, it might have the model numbers. http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/manuals/uspc.pdf

As a CCW, I would go with the .40, 12rds of .40sw in a compact is pretty impressive. If you shoot the .40 well, that's the one to get IMO.

Anyway, it's a terrific pistol, enjoy!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Buy off the internet and have it sent to your local shop. $779 is a bit steep, CDNN will probably beat that by at least $200 leaving maybe $150 in your pocket after transfer/reg fees.

I carry the USP/40C and love it also, I carry Remington 165 GR Bonded Golden Saber in mine, the top rated round for this caliber. The USP/9C is a solid choice and there is a wide variety of ammo selections out there. My first and second choices would be the Winchester Ranger SXT (T Series) 127 Grain +P+ and the Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P. The Federal Hydrashok also has a good track record, I'd take this round in either 124 Grain +P or the Law Enforcement 124 Grain +P+ load.

Holsters, the best I have found are IWB style, mine is from Gun Leather USA and is of the Summer Special design. Milt Sparks, High Noon, Mitch Rosen as well as many other top name brand holster makers can craft you something to make carrying comfortable, there is usually a long wait though. I am still waiting to lay eyes on my High Noon IWB ordered back in August '07. Many members here swear by the C-Tac holster from COMP TAC, it's an adjustable kydex (plastic) IWB. I have a paddle rig from them, their product is high quality and worth the extra coin.

Night sights, I'd go with Meprolight or for about twice as much you can get Heinie's in their straight eight stacking pattern. Most of my carry weapons use Meprolight in the yellow/green 3 dot pattern.

For a list of the variants, check the front page at HK PRO under the world of HK. Quickly the 1, 3, 5, 9 are right handed models that have a safety/decocker, decocker only, safety with DAO, and safety only for C&L carry in that order. The 2, 4, 6, 10 are for lefties functioning the same. The 7 is a DAO featuring a heavy pull for each shot, different than the LEM, which is a lighter pre-cock system that's also very popular with HK enthusiasts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should also consider an HK P2000. Parts wise, the USPC and HK-P2000 are very similiar, the big difference is the USPC has a variant that allows you to carry cocked and locked, but the P2000 only offers DA/SA with a decocker, or a Glock like, LEM trigger. On the plus side for the P2000, it has a standard picatinny rail, a redesigned decocker that's smaller for CCW, (located to the left of the hammer on the back of the gun), and a few different grip panels to customize the grip feel to your hand. The HK P2000 SK is even smaller, with a 4.6" long grip, but can use P2000/USPC and P30 mags as backup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should also consider an HK P2000. Parts wise, the USPC and HK-P2000 are very similiar, the big difference is the USPC has a variant that allows you to carry cocked and locked, but the P2000 only offers DA/SA with a decocker, or a Glock like, LEM trigger. On the plus side for the P2000, it has a standard picatinny rail, a redesigned decocker that's smaller for CCW, (located to the left of the hammer on the back of the gun), and a few different grip panels to customize the grip feel to your hand. The HK P2000 SK is even smaller, with a 4.6" long grip, but can use P2000/USPC and P30 mags as backup.
I was looking at the P30/P3000 last night and it sure is appealing - but I really want that safety lever (I know that's a minority opinion these days)

Thanks for the great info everyone

·
Registered
172 Posts
I liked my USPc .40 as a CCW until I shot a stranger's P7M8 at the range (I traded him 25 rounds on my USC/UMP conversion). The P7M8 was a bit pricey at the time though (~$1400), and not a month later the P7/PSP trade-in flood gates opened up, and I got a Grade A for ~$750.

I personally believe that the P7/PSP is the best CCW pistol that H&K makes, if only for the squeeze-cocking mechanism. There is no switch safety to fool with, no heavy double-action first pull, and best of all, if anybody ever takes it from you, they won't have a clue how to use it.

If you haven't considered the P7/PSP, see if you can find one somewhere and take a few shots with it. I was a big fan of my USPc .40 for YEARS as a CCW until I shot a P7. I just sold my USPc .40 last week because I didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My current off duty carry is a USPc 40. I put the Ameriglo Operator Night Sights on it: nice big white outline on the front sight, green in front, yellow in the rear. Super accurate and not as "snappy" recoil like my duty Sig 229. Comparing the two, my Sig probably has a better trigger (broken in with a couple thousand rounds vs. USPc which has about 500 rounds through it) but the USPc has a better grip, better point (for me at least), and lighter to carry.

Like the previous poster, I just got a P7/PSP from CDNN and it is an insanely accurate pistol. I'm not carrying it right now as it is a "project" pistol as I am going to send it off to Robar for refinishing, put some night sights on it and put a set of Nills wood grips on it........Then it will be my alternate offduty carry (for those times when IWB carry is called for).

I love my USPc so much, I am planning on getting a USPc 45!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Really when you look at it the USPf is really not that big of a gun. It is smaller then most full size 1911. The compact is just an inch shorter on the barrel. This is what I have selected for my CCW.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I advise you check out Clyde Armory for your USPc 9mm. The model they sell comes with night sights (Mepro) and a third magazine for the very reasonable price of $705. Here's a link...
https://www.policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_254&products_id=5613&osCsid=94681380d1dfb11f85628e934531c722

I've bought there, they're good people and the LEO package price is hard to beat.
+1 These guys are top notch.....and most of their HKs come with three mags!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
This is why I bought my USPc .40, my fullsize was a bear to carry, espescially because it's the Combat Comp. with the Jet Funnel. I like the .40 round but just wanted something smaller but still an H&K .40.

I use the Tru-Glo factory night sights and carry on the hip in a Desantes Speed Scabbard. Right now it's loaded with Black Hills 180gr. JHP.

·
Registered
221 Posts
trijicons on mine
speer gold dots for self defense rounds (that's what the local pd uses)
use a ctac or a beltslide- I have a bunch of holsters for this gun but these are the two i use the most.
would buy here on the net and transfer to local gun shop

i have the uspc40 and uspc9mm. i prefer the 40 but that's probably b/c i've used the 40 longer. both are great guns.

sounds like you are on the right track!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Welp, I bought it today at lunch! :D :D

I found a local store that is actually a dealer for H&K who had it in stock ( http://www.mcbridesguns.com/ ).

I definitely intend to get some night sights at some point, but today's purchase (the pistol, 150 rounds of WWB ammo for the range, snap caps, and a cheapie until-I-find-something-better holster) already ran a bit over $900 with tax - so I'll wait awhile on those to let my bank account recover.

I'm so excited to fire this thing. I'll be hitting the range in the morning!

·
Registered
131 Posts

-Comp-tac C-TAC is by far the best kydex IWB holster available for this gun. It is WELL WORTH the money, and IMHO it is the only choice.

-Meprolight, check out topgunsupply for good pricing.

You can do better online. 779 is high IMHO. Out of state transfer= no tax as well.

Black Hills Red Box 124grain +P's are my choice for 9mm defense rounds.

They don't import stainless. Almost every HK I have ever seen left the factory as a V1. All you have to do is try the safety lever. Pull the hammer back, push the safety up. Its either a V1 or a V9. Push the lever down- if it decocks then its a V1. If the lever only goes down, its a decock only firearm with no safety.

Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
381 Posts
+1 These guys are top notch.....and most of their HKs come with three mags!
All of their HKs should come with 3 mags. They are an excellent shop to deal with. Whenever I decide to purchase a new gun I always check their prices first. I cannot recommend these guys enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts