HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago, I took a co-worker from California to the local shooting range. He really enjoyed shooting my MP5 and MP5K SBRs. Near the end, he was complaining about sweaty hands (he came from Walmart loaded down with 800 rounds of ammo). Lo and behold, my mags now have rust spots on them. Unfortunately, he handled about a dozen of my 30 round mags at the range. Any tips on how to treat the mags and prevent the rust from spreading? At least I don't have to worry about my UMP 9mm mags!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
600 size steel wool and gun oil... rub very lightly and then clean yer gun (& equipment) after shooting... rookie mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I'm not sure if it is applicable for your situation, but Loctite makes something called Naval Jelly that is a liquid rust remover but I don't remember how aggressive the stuff is since it's been 20 some odd years since I have used it. Just thought I'd toss it in your court though.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Try a gun cleaning solvent like Hoppe's #9. I've used it to get rid of mild rust on some steel AK magazines and demilled AK parts kits. Dab a bunch onto the magazine, let is soak for a bit, then rub it with some type of towel.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm not sure if it is applicable for your situation, but Loctite makes something called Naval Jelly that is a liquid rust remover but I don't remember how aggressive the stuff is since it's been 20 some odd years since I have used it. Just thought I'd toss it in your court though.
Will take off most all forms of iron oxides .... including the bluing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, do NOT use Naval Jelly.
That stuff took the parkerizing right off one of my G3 steel mags. I wasn't very pleased with how it dealt with the rust, either.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Never had any problems until this guy came along :) Thanks!
Give him a set of leather gloves... crack him over the head with a cane if he touches yer stuff again without'em. Even being from Kalifornia, he'll most likely learn.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Yes, do NOT use Naval Jelly.
That stuff took the parkerizing right off one of my G3 steel mags. I wasn't very pleased with how it dealt with the rust, either.
Really? I know it destroys bluing, but didn't think it would do much to park. 'Course, I've never tried it, either...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts