HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got QD on my AR slings and wanted to keep things uniform across platforms (as opposed to having a dedicated HK-style snap hook sling just for the MP5).

Plus, I like the clean, classic look of the wide (tropical) handguard for the MP5, so I resisted adding a QD mount via an aftermarket Picatinny rail. Similarly, there are numerous M-LOK and KeyMod handguards to which QD mounts can be attached, but again, I like the old-school polymer handguard.

As such, I've been looking for this QD sling pin for the past 1.5+ years with no luck:

Quick Detach Sling Pin for HK, Small, HK91, G3, PTR91, HK33, MP5, HKK-4818, RTG Parts

I'm not even sure if it is being manufactured anymore.

With that in mind, I decided to add a QD mount to the polymer handguard on my own. I considered these possibilities:

QD Micro Flush QD Sling Mount | IWC
Flush QD Sling Mount | NOVESKE

In the AR world, they both work very well when attached through polymer, but the minimal clearance room inside the MP5 handguard towards the muzzle could pose a problem. Between the barrel and cocking tube support assembly, it is VERY crowded, and I was worried that the hidden mounting hardware of these two options would ram into the barrel or cocking tube support (or both).

Meanwhile, I have had great success with this on my USC to UMP conversion:

PMM HK Universal QD Sling Mount (UMP/USC,G36,MP5k)

So I decided to see if it could be added as a modification to the MP5 wide handguard. Quite simply put, YES! It is a very simple modification, and there is barely any hidden hardware, so there is ZERO contact with the barrel or cocking tube support.

Side view:
Airsoft Airsoft gun Camera accessory

Closeup showing plenty of clearance:
Airsoft

And for me, there is ZERO interference working the charging handle with or without the QD sling attached.

I tested both German-made (not shown) and USA-made handguards, and it works equally well in both. Just make an initial indentation with a sharp point so that the first drill bit won't drift on you. Stepwise increase the diameter of your drill bits from 5/64" to 7/64" to 9/64" to 11/64" to 13/64" to 15/64" so that each subsequent hole is concentric. The final 1/4" drill bit is perfect for the PMM QD mount as the mount has a neck that fits into the polymer that is slightly larger than 15/64" in diameter. Final fit is snug, and once assembled, the QD mount is very strong. An added benefit is that the final hole is 1/4" as opposed to 1/2" as in the first two options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yup, my rear QD is on the buttstock as well as on an AR-15 end plate. In Maryland, post-2013 SBRs have a 29" minimal OAL (with buttstock fully extended). As such, I had to use an AR-15 adapter (HKParts) with a BCM intermediate receiver extension (longer VLTOR A5 length buffer tube) and a MFT Battlelink Minimalist buttstock to get to 29+ inches. BLASPHEMY!! Yeah, but it's the best I could come up with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts