HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new HK expert in .45. What kind of practice ammo & defense ammo are you using in your EXPERT. All advice is welcome & thanks for the great forum.

·
Registered
173 Posts
just dont put lead thru the barrel. for range/practice i use any good factory ammo 230gr fmj rem, win white box, even cci. i would not suggest +p to practice with because it causes more wear then a standard load. but for carry or defence your gun can handle +p i use corbon 230gr jhp +p for carry

·
Registered
48 Posts
just dont put lead thru the barrel. for range/practice i use any good factory ammo 230gr fmj rem, win white box, even cci. i would not suggest +p to practice with because it causes more wear then a standard load. but for carry or defence your gun can handle +p i use corbon 230gr jhp +p for carry
+1
I have never had an issue with the USP's taking ammo. Any good factory ammo should be fine. For defense ammo, go with a good name +P. I won't get into preferred ammo weight, as it could easily get drawn out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My expert has never had a malfunction with any factory round I've shot, so I just buy whatever's cheapest, which is usually winchester white box. Got my concealed holster on order, so I'm interested in what defense round is preferred.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have an expert, but I use Speer Gold Dots for my .45 1911, and my USP9. I've found that they're very accurate and run fine in all my guns for defense.

For practice/range time just use the cheapest you can find IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Everyone has their own preference for defense rounds. The only common theme I have found is that they are all high-quality brands in +P. Several months ago was an article about .45 & .40 cal rounds tested in the USP. You can use search to find it. I summarized it in a thread somewhere on here, it should be easy to find. Other than that, you can search defense or +P or some other term and you'll find everyone using +P from different companies.

My expert has never had a malfunction with any factory round I've shot, so I just buy whatever's cheapest, which is usually winchester white box. Got my concealed holster on order, so I'm interested in what defense round is preferred.

B

·
0 Posts
Stay away from the steel cased stuff. It is super dirty and steel on steel can't be good. I have used Fed +P 185 grains 45s for years. My duty ammo is Speer .40 155 grains. We had a officer involved shooting and the perp took one to the head (DOA). It went in bounced around, retained almost all of it weight and spread out great. I have switched to Speer for my .45s.

·
Banned
77 Posts
I don't have an expert, but I use Speer Gold Dots for my .45 1911, and my USP9. I've found that they're very accurate and run fine in all my guns for defense.

For practice/range time just use the cheapest you can find IMO.
Gold dots ROCK! Bonded core bullets thats engineered to expand everytime. Cant go wrong. I carry 180gr Gold dots in my USP40c (and USP40f) and 124gr +P Gold Dots in my Glock 17.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts