HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a local gun shop today and the salesman showed me a striker fired HK P9 in new condition, but I'm not familiar with this model at all. All he could tell me was it was made in the 1960's because the trigger guard is rounded and it was a one owner gun by an elderly man that had kept it put away for about 30 years. He stripped it down for me & it appears to have never even been fired and is extremely clean with zero finish wear & has one mag. He wants $450 out the door including BGC. What is the quality of the old models & is it worth grabbing at that price? Are they good shooters? Any advice would be great. I'm low on funds and he also has a USP 9mm for $400 OTD in good used condition and I can only get one. Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The P9S is an extremely smooth shooting handgun.
If the recoil buffer has not been replaced in some time, that is something I would change first if you happen to get it.
Its a great gun and is extremely accurate, but the down side is parts are getting harder to come by.
You can still get the parts you need if anything breaks, but they are not in production any more.

On the other hand, the USP 9mm is a great choice too.
You will be hard pressed to find a more reliable 9mm on the market.
The USP 9mm is still being produced, so in the event you needed to replace any parts they are available and easy to come by.

Too bad you can't get both. That sounds like a great price on both guns.
You can't go wrong either way.
If you are like most of us on the forum, you will buy one and a couple weeks later pick up the other one.

If you want to know more about the P9S, do a search on the HKPro forum for P9S.
Be sure to post pictures when you decide which one to purchase.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I own both. Love them both equally. The usp 9 is much easier to find parts for (mags, spare parts etc). The p9 has the best trigger ever. Parts can be a pain to find for the P9s and factory mags are like 70 bucks (if you can find them but one company does make aftermarket mags that work great) . I have mine threaded and im waiting my tax stamp for my can. That is my intended use for the p9s. The usp I use a lot at the range. Plus with the usp 9mm you can buy 18 round jet funnel mags and the awesome 30+ round "tactical" mags.

Both are killer prices. Either way you go.. you will be stealing them at that price. If I had to choose one though, it would be the p9. They dont make them any more. You can always find a USP 9 quite easy later on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
every gun shop i've been to in Austin would put at least double that price on both of those. Killer deal either way... Even with a complete spring replacement on the USP (if it even needs it) you are still doing well!

DS

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would agree about getting the P9s. I've seen visibly used ones go for at least $150-$200 more. I have a USP 40 and love it, but like the 9mm version, you can find them fairly easily. Both are great deals.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,372 Posts
The P9S is one of the most accurate and smooth shooting pistols around. Utilizing the same roller delayed recoil system as derived from the G3, utilizing a fixed barrel and built like a Swiss time piece with more than 70 individual pieces, the P9S is hard to beat. Also with the single stack magazine, the grip (at least for right handed shooters) is generally preferred to the current range of double stack magazine pistols. The challenge in purchasing a P9S is finding a high quality one, as many you see for sale in gun shops and online have been "rode hard and put away wet". Some are even police trade in models from overseas. My recommendation is be patient, save your money and purchase the best example you can find and afford. I would also try and find one that has all of the original equipment (box, manual, test target, warranty card, spare mag), as these will increase your resale value if you ever decide to go that route. Also, see if you can find someone that has one that will let you take it for a test run at the range, preferably at the same time as you shoot a USP and I think you'll be surprised at how different the two are. Both great pistols, as are all HK products, but the P9S represents a different era.
With all that said, please don't take my comments as a shameless plug for my listing below, but instead as a reference for what a perfect NIB example looks like.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pistols-sale/160102-wts-nib-hk-p9s-combat-9mm-extras.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
Any advice would be great. I'm low on funds ...
Well, since you asked for advice on a public forum here it is - Neither.
Take your $450 and put it in the bank. But if you are still in denial of having a disease that causes you to buy items when funds are thin (there are a few of us around) you should probably get the USP. Not as sexy or collectible as the P9, but for all the reasons mentioned above....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I shouldn't have hesitated. I went back to the shop and this idiot had raised the price to $1,200. He told me he did some more research after I left the other day and found out that less than 500 were ever built & they're super rare, so now I'm SOL!

·
Registered
65 Posts
seriously!?!! any HK in great or unfired condition for $400 would be a no brainer instant purchase!! no offense but you used the word idiot... not sure who is the bigger one. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to be a jerk about it...I had never heard of a P9 and like I said funds are tight and I'm not going to purchase something I'm unfamiliar with. That's how a buddy of mine was dupped into spending $350 on a used 9mm Lorcin that he later found out was worth $90. Of course I already knew to stay away from Lorcins.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I shouldn't have hesitated. I went back to the shop and this idiot had raised the price to $1,200.
I've seen asking prices that high. A Combat model 9mm is not going to sell for anywhere near that amount though. He may have been confusing it with the Target 9mm or the .45 caliber model.

The P9s is nearly the ideal pistol to shoot suppressed. It has a fixed barrel so the silencer does not require a booster, and it has a locked breech so you don't get a lot of ejection port noise like you do on a blowback gun.

However, the sights on the combat model are too low to see over most cans. The sights on the target model are taller, but those are not found as often. I recently saw a parts kit from a target model sell on Gunbroker for over $600.

If you aren't planning on shooting suppressed, the USP or one of the other more modern variants would probably be a better choice.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,372 Posts
I've seen asking prices that high. A Combat model 9mm is not going to sell for anywhere near that amount though. He may have been confusing it with the Target 9mm or the .45 caliber model.

The P9s is nearly the ideal pistol to shoot suppressed. It has a fixed barrel so the silencer does not require a booster, and it has a locked breech so you don't get a lot of ejection port noise like you do on a blowback gun.

However, the sights on the combat model are too low to see over most cans. The sights on the target model are taller, but those are not found as often. I recently saw a parts kit from a target model sell on Gunbroker for over $600.

If you aren't planning on shooting suppressed, the USP or one of the other more modern variants would probably be a better choice.
I have owned and sold more than ten P9S pistols over the years and I have often seen new to excellent quality Combat models sell for well over that price. Not sure what condition the one in question was, but these guns in new to excellent condition are becoming harder to find each year.

It is true that the P9S is a unique pistol, and for an avid HK shooter or collector, you really need to do yourself a favor and at least seize the opportunity to shoot one. It is also true that the P9S is near perfect for suppressing:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pisto...et-sd-45-w-gemtech-blackside-many-extras.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts