HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to add an HK pistol to the collection so I opted for the Mark 23. I'm going to pair it with a suppressor and laser/light attachment to make it into the offensive SOCOM pistol it's supposed to be. I thought that would be a great piece for the collection and fun to shoot.

As a new owner of HK and the Mark 23 I was curious to know if there is any advice. For example is there a break-in period before I should clean it - i.e. 200-300 rounds? Or should I clean it before I first shoot it?

As for the accessories, is the KAC suppressor still the best to pair with it? Or have better ones come along? I want it to run as silent as possible. And for the laser/light attachment, any advice on which one to get?

And any general advice on HK pistols that I should know?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
210 Posts
As for the accessories, is the KAC suppressor still the best to pair with it? Or have better ones come along?
If you're looking for outright sound attenuation, suppressors have come a LONG way in the past decade not to mention they are probably a lot cheaper than the KAC can. If you're looking to replicate the aesthetic, KAC would be the way to go :]

·
Registered
582 Posts
The MK23 is the best handgun to shoot suppressed, period. Clean it whenever you'd like, or don't. I'd personally keep a little oil on it and just clean it whenever the you feel like polishing it up. It will run either way.

I love the Osprey 45 suppressor paired with the MK23. It doesn't beat the KAC can in the cool / authentic category - but it's much more modern....lighter and quieter. Just depends on which factors are important to you.

The original LAM's are crazy expensive. GG&G mounts and a modern light are probably better and definitely a lot more practical for the cost.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I thought that would be a great piece for the collection and fun to shoot.....is there a break-in period before I should clean it - i.e. 200-300 rounds? Or should I clean it before I first shoot it? As for the accessories...
I shoot all my HKs often, and clean them every 500 rounds. No problems at all as HKs are built like tanks. The exception is my Mk23. Because it was designed to endure the worst environments ever, I plan on cleaning it every 10,000 rounds just to see. Accessories? Follow the advise written thus far. You can't go wrong. Ammo? Manual says 230gr FMJ or +P 185gr JHP and nothing else. But users claim they've shot all types of .45 with no problems. So far, I've stuck to the manual.

·
Needs Therapy
704 Posts
Totally agree. The Mark23 is a wonderful shooting gun. Paired with the KAC OHG silencer, it's a great combination. There are definitely lighter silencers out there and more economical ones, but for authenticity, yes, the KAC can is the way to go.

The only thing I'd pick up for the Mark23 are extra O-rings in case you ding yours up. You can get them online, if you google it, you can find out what they are. They are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Clean her up, yes!!
Field strip, remove all the factory stuff, clean barrel out and in, clean rails, inside of slide, wipe down the frame get all factory goo off.
Add some good oil to barrel, slide (inside) and rails, I add some very tiny pinhead drops of high quality grease to the rails (my opinion)
Drop of oil to all visible springs, around the hammer (if have)
Just a good initial scrubbing, then lube well, rack the. Slide several times, make sure all is smooth, which it will be
Buy some 185gr +P (tested with this ammo) or any 230gr ball, hit the range, and we should see your results in the range report section in a week,
.....correct?? Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There's no doubt that the KAC suppressor is what belongs on the gun and will complete the package if you want to go with the OG MK23 setup. That said, my SiCo Octane .45 is much quieter than the KAC on my Mark 23.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I think it depends on what you want out of your Mark 23. If you want it the way it was introduced to the public, then you'll go with the Knights suppressor and the Insight LAM. However, relative to the LAM, there are better options. First lets understand that Insight LAMs are rarer than hen's teeth. The last one I saw sell on ebay was last week for 4025.00. That's four thousand twenty five dollars. That's twice what I paid for my Mark 23! If I had known, I would have bought a few more LAMs to sell later. Not only that but the civilian LAMs are neutered by the FDA. No IR capability. I think the better option is a rail adaptor and a Steiner D-BAL. It is a fraction of the cost and IR capable.

Next is the suppressor. There is nothing iconic like the KAC OHWS suppressor. It just goes with the Mark 23. It is stout and built for comfort. Made of stainless steel, it can take was well as dish out. But......it is twice the money as most every other option and they are becoming hard to find. They are not as quiet as the newer cans by a few DBs and they are heavy. The advantages of the OHWS suppressor eclipse the liabilities IMO. They are quiet enough to shoot comfortably without hearing pro and the weight helps dampen recoil considerably; taking it from an impact to a rolling push. The other thing to consider is that the KAC can is 'timed' to the reciprocating mass of the Mark 23 slide. This guarantees thousands and thousands of trouble free rounds down the tube. Other suppressors are not necessarily so tuned.

That's my 2 bits worth of advice. Worth every cent you paid for it. :biggrin:

Here is mine. Apologies to those who've seen this before...

All of this notwithstanding, the Mark 23 all kitted out as intended is a femme fatale in suicide black.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

All of this notwithstanding, the Mark 23 all kitted out as intended is a femme fatale in suicide black.
I agree with Tony. I never get tired of that photo.

·
Needs Therapy
704 Posts
I think it depends on what you want out of your Mark 23. If you want it the way it was introduced to the public, then you'll go with the Knights suppressor and the Insight LAM. However, relative to the LAM, there are better options. First lets understand that Insight LAMs are rarer than hen's teeth. The last one I saw sell on ebay was last week for 4025.00. That's four thousand twenty five dollars. That's twice what I paid for my Mark 23! If I had known, I would have bought a few more LAMs to sell later. Not only that but the civilian LAMs are neutered by the FDA. No IR capability. I think the better option is a rail adaptor and a Steiner D-BAL. It is a fraction of the cost and IR capable.

Next is the suppressor. There is nothing iconic like the KAC OHWS suppressor. It just goes with the Mark 23. It is stout and built for comfort. Made of stainless steel, it can take was well as dish out. But......it is twice the money as most every other option and they are becoming hard to find. They are not as quiet as the newer cans by a few DBs and they are heavy. The advantages of the OHWS suppressor eclipse the liabilities IMO. They are quiet enough to shoot comfortably without hearing pro and the weight helps dampen recoil considerably; taking it from an impact to a rolling push. The other thing to consider is that the KAC can is 'timed' to the reciprocating mass of the Mark 23 slide. This guarantees thousands and thousands of trouble free rounds down the tube. Other suppressors are not necessarily so tuned.

That's my 2 bits worth of advice. Worth every cent you paid for it. :biggrin:

Well, that's about all that needs to be said. And I never tire of seeing that picture.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hope it's appropriate to do so, but since we discussed the LAM it was brought to my attention via PM that I had forgotten to update my LAM manual thread with working pic links. Now the pics are up. The LAM manual pics are page by page so you can copy, print, cut and collate your own if you have a LAM but no manual, expect have a LAM one day or would like to preserve the original manual and use these copies. http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...00-1350-1400-1450-400-450-scanned-manual.html

follow link to new pics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. Decided to go with the Octane 45. Now I get to hurry up and wait for the ATF! :) Good news is the place I bought it from rents out a private range and will let you sign it out and use it every 4-6 weeks, so I'll get to have some fun in the mean time. I'll post a photo when it's all set up.

I also bought a Picatinny rail adapter (https://www.gggaz.com/hk-mk-23-light-and-laser-mount.html). Now I need to figure out the light/laser module. Any recommendations on ones that include light, laser, and UV light like the original LAM? While not an original 450/1450, I want to replicate it as much as possible.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.