HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product idea for the MR556: ADD-ON Rail extension.

Same Idea as what a couple of manufactures did for The SCAR. Make the rail about 5"-6" long and I think it would sell well.

Celt

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
It should lend itself to be a lower cost alternative to the factory extended handguard. Would be a hit for the MR762 as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Where abouts would it be mounted? to my understanding the SCAR extender mounts to already existing rail mount holes for the removable side rails. you couldnt mount it to the gas block as its covered up. I guess it could be mounted by rail or maybe mount to the vent holes?

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
What about using the flip down sight mount and a bolt on top and some typeof fixture that locks onto the bottom of the gas block? If using a 416 it could lock on to the bayo lug on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't clamp anything to the gas block. I think the best way is to make an extension with the exact profile of the factory rail and then use some sort of coupling clamp that spans two slots (the front one on the HK rail and the rear one on the extension) and locks the two parts together. You'd lose a couple of slots, but most people don't use every slot anyway. You might not need to lock all 4 rails together. If the rails mate up tightly, probably just two, top and bottom, or right/left might be enough. This way, you can remove the whole rail/extended rail package as one unit like now. If you start clamping things to the gas clock, you'd probably have to remove it to take off the HK quad rail to access the piston for cleaning.

·
Banned
879 Posts
not to mention it kind of defeats the purpose of a free float rail if you bolt on an extension to the gas block...
This.

It doesn't exactly count as a rail extension if it's not attached to the rail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts