HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During his State of the City address today, Mayor Bloomberg stated he would like to introduce legislation to have "microstamping" in place for firearms in NYC. Some of you might know that this idea was recently introduced in the state of California. Not sure if it passed there. I hope it doesn't even make it passed the proposal stage in NYC.

·
Registered
316 Posts
During his State of the City address today, Mayor Bloomberg stated he would like to introduce legislation to have "microstamping" in place for firearms in NYC. Some of you might know that this idea was recently introduced in the state of California. Not sure if it passed there. I hope it doesn't even make it passed the proposal stage in NYC.
It DID pass here and is to be started in 2010. Of course no one yet has the technical capability of doing it. Let's hear it for CA progress.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It DID pass here and is to be started in 2010. Of course no one yet has the technical capability of doing it. Let's hear it for CA progress.
I did a quick read and it appears any gun manufactured before the start date in 2010 will be exempt and the bill does not extend to guns outside of California. So this will affect new gun purchases, most likely through legal processes. And LEO's are exempt from microstamping in CA.

Man, I hope this doesn't come to pass in NYC....sigh... :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah let's implement a multi-million dollar system that can be undone by a $5 metal file and some loose brass.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah let's implement a multi-million dollar system that can be undone by a $5 metal file and some loose brass.
I think that they would also make it a Fellony to alter the imprint devise, just like it is to tamper with the serial number on any firearm. But that would never stop any criminal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
expect the sales of revolvers to go thru the roof

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
expect the price of pistols to skyrocket as no one wants to go through the hassle of microstamping guns for NY/CA. Guns in NYC with the stamp will go through the roof.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is bad enough that I cannot buy an HK handgun in this state unless it was built and registered in state before October 1998. Now this mess.

Actually they have a proposal that requires both the round and the brass to have a common serial number. If the law passes it will make all reloading components illegal! :1900000:
I can hear the pencil of Ted Kennedy scribbling ferociously as we speak. I bet mASS will jump on the micro stamping bandwagon as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not just alarming news for CA, NY and mASS, Ed Kennedy is writing a federal bill that hasn't been introduced.

There are so many holes in their thinking, I can't believe we are actually paying these guys to sit around and think this stuff up. This will not hinder anybody but law abiding gun owners.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
HK, Glock, Colt, Sig, S&W, hell, everybody, should join Barrett and not sell firearms to the entire state of California. Either that, or reverse their business model:

"Sure, we have California compliant P30s. They are $699. And we have special police and government models as well. They run $999 since we have to reconfigure our assembly lines to remove all the microstamping."

G

·
Just noticed in yesterdays Post-Standard, a rag out of Syracuse, that some officials are stating that the micro-stamping doesn't work and shouldn't be legislated.
The same is the problem with the NYS ballistic-fingerprinting, it also doesn't work if the owner has a good diamond file for the breach face!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Javic, didn't know your folks were in Watertown. I use to fish up in the 1000 Islands all the time. Still have an Uncle that lives in Syracuse who I visit from time to time and we take road trips up to Watertown to fish.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Small world isn't it? I usually take at least one gun with me whenever I go up there. There's an outdoor range in Watertown, not the greatest condition, but membership is only like $10/year and it's open year round, so I usually try to get some range time in when I visit the folks/friends up there.

Where do you guys usually go fishing, and for what? I haven't fished up there much myself, but I have friends that go a lot, and might be able to clue you in on some of the better spots.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All I can remember is we drive under sort of an arched sign that says "Welcome to Thousand Islands" and we're literally in town and its right by the water. We usually fish at night off of a pier that belongs to a bar/restaurant. We've been doing the same spot on and off for the better part of 15 years. Normally fish for Northern Pike, large and small mouths. The occassional eel, catfish, crappy, and blue gill.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sounds like it's probably Alexandria Bay. I personally have never fished up there, but if you've got access to a boat, there's always good fishing on Lake Ontario or the Black River, particularly in Dexter area. There's a boat launch right in the middle of town.

*sorry to hijack the thread, but seems we already have a satisfied customer thanks to Don :)

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
FYI - looks like after taking a lot of heat, the bill is being amended...
http://blog.nysrpa.org/?p=1253

A-9819A, requiring semiautomatic weapons manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in this state to be capable of microstamping ammunition, has been amended and resubmitted to Codes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts