HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, all I have to say about Amy Geissele's new ACT trigger is...awesome. I compared it to two other mil-spec triggers. All three are identical being that they all came from the same supplier. But Bill Geissele really worked his magic on these and comparing them, it was night and day.

Just so I can cut to the testing, if you want more tech spec info, you can download the product specs here ALG Defense

Packaging was well sorted. Trigger components came completely assembled. Trigger and hammer were separated by a moisture absorbing sheet that seems to keep things lubricated too. It also helps to keep the parts and contact areas from getting dinged up by each other through fulfillment and shipping.

At first comparison, the ACT parts feel super slick vs. the standard mil-spec kits. Bill Nickel-Boron plated the trigger and Nickel-Teflon plated the hammer. It has tempered Chrome-Moly pins and quality springs. ALG includes a slave pin and grease too. Everything is corrosive free. Pull weight is light for a combat trigger. My friend has the digi trigger weight scale so I was not able to measure it yet, but it does feel like a lighter 5-6 lb pull. Initial pull is so incredibly smooth...and bam. Clean break. There is nothing "squooshy" about it. It's just a great single stage trigger.

Luckily, my client friends' own a medical district campus that is also home to a police training/firing range. With the help of a SWAT friend and another competitive marksman, we compared my best mil-spec trig group up against the ACT in my 14.5" 416 upper on a semi-auto clone lower. Aimpoint T-1. No muzzle break, just a Surefire FH556. Same Federal ammo used for each shooter. The goal was simply to compare the triggers with rapid fire 5-shot groups.

A few other cops wanted at it, mostly because the test host was a 416. But everyone was thoroughly impressed with the ACT triggers smoothness and clean break. They have restrictions for upgrading their duty rifles, but everything about the ACT is mil-spec, so they will be looking to get approval.

It's really is a fun trigger to shoot fast. And @ $65, I can upgrade a few rifles for the price of a higher-end comp trigger. Shoot, I think I already sold some at the PD range.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Nice. Good write-up.

Looks like that will be next in my stable.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I put my order in with Rainier after I saw these on WeaponEvolution. I'm very excited to get my MR trigger replaced. Nice write-up by the way. What's the story behind the "416 for semi auto" package?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It was fun. If every AR/M4 came with an ACT, or even the QMS, as standard issue, there would be no more debating or complaining of grittiness. The ACT is an awesome combat trigger upgrade. Heck, on this test, I was shooter 1 and I was impressed with my own results. If I can get tighter with a muzzle brake, I'll be using it in competition and upcoming carbine courses.

Montrala even suggested JP spring combo: JP yellow spring on trigger and JP red (tactical) spring on hammer. I didn't do this yet because I wanted the review to be a straight-up upgrade. Enhanced mil-spec vs standard mil-spec. But it could very well be the killer combo for budget-minded competitive shooters.

pointblank. The Geissele SSA 416 trigger is based off the full-auto version that Bill supplies to the DoD. Once I get the rail, I'm going to write-up on the both of them together. Hopefully it gets here before the next match.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting. Any info on compatiability with the MR556 seeing as how the MR has some weird trigger setup that doesnt take drop in replacements?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
So does ALG Defense ACT trigger works with with HKL firing pin safety? I assume, that it works, but I need clear answer to update my list of compatible triggers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All standard mil-spec triggers I have tried work with the firing pin safety. The ACT is identical to them aside from some magical Geissele touches. So yes, Montrala. I confirm the ALG ACT trigger does work with the safety.

·
Banned
879 Posts
To be honest, when I dissassmble my MR556 bolt carrier to be sent off for nitriding, the one part I won't be re-installing upon its return is the firing pin safety.

Of all the additions i've seen to gun in recent years, the firing pin safety is about the most useless.

The firing pin spring stops primer dimple that was an issue (a very minor one at that) with the standard AR system, and there literally is nothing else in the rifle that can impact the firing pin other then the hammer and if that gets accidentally released, it's going to disable the firing pin safety anyway.

I'm still dumbfounded as to why it's there in the first place other then to possibly make the ATF happy regarding import regulations or something.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
To be honest, when I dissassmble my MR556 bolt carrier to be sent off for nitriding, the one part I won't be re-installing upon its return is the firing pin safety.

Of all the additions i've seen to gun in recent years, the firing pin safety is about the most useless.

The firing pin spring stops primer dimple that was an issue (a very minor one at that) with the standard AR system, and there literally is nothing else in the rifle that can impact the firing pin other then the hammer and if that gets accidentally released, it's going to disable the firing pin safety anyway.

I'm still dumbfounded as to why it's there in the first place other then to possibly make the ATF happy regarding import regulations or something.
Consider the heavier firing pin and recoil spring used in the MR556 before chunking it out the window.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice write up.

I have a Wilson Combat TTU-3G in one of my ARs (my other is a Colt large pin, so that limits trigger selection a bit) and I can't stand it. I've sent it back once already to get it repaired (long story) so I'm gonna call them up to fix the situation once more, but in the meantime I'm going to pre-order the ALG trigger because I just want mil-spec reliability at this point.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Consider the heavier firing pin and recoil spring used in the MR556 before chunking it out the window.
The firing pin spring is more then enough to overcome any inertia imparted on the firing pin by return bolt speed regardless of how powerful the action spring is. The firing pin is still too light for this to be an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow I love the up close shot of your lower!!!! :) It's just a beautiful shot.

And thanks for the write-up on this trigger. I think I'll give it a shot.

Take care man,

John

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, John! And thanks for inspiring me to finish it...along with other help. ;)

You're going to like this trigger a lot.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is that a true Mil Spec you compared it to, or Geisselle's QMS (Quality Mil Spec) trigger? It looks like it's just the basic kit, but I'm curious about the comparison between the QMS and ACT packages.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Border. It's a standard mil-spec. I do not have a QMS. The markings are identical on the trigger between the ACT and standard. They both have an "S" mark.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Point, Bill sent it to me for testing and writeup for David Crane's DefenseReview. I was supposed to have the rail a little while ago too, but his production manager said it wasn't going to be ready just yet.

I have over a 1000 rnds through the ACT now. Still very smooth. I also just used the ACT to test the BattleComp and Surefire brakes. Both are very close in accuracy while shooting fast. And with the ACT...smooth was fast. Sorry I don't know when ALG will ship, but I guarantee you'll like it once you try it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts