HKPRO Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I always preferred 9mm over .40, even though I have never fired .40 out of an HK. I have fired it out of other pistols, however, and I just find the 9mm to be much better all around.
HKs absorb the "snap" of the .40 better than any other pistol platform I have seen. My USP Compact has less felt recoil then a Glock 23.

·
Registered
381 Posts
HKs absorb the "snap" of the .40 better than any other pistol platform I have seen. My USP Compact has less felt recoil then a Glock 23.
This has been my experience as well. The HK USP was designed for the .40S&W cartridge. The P2000 is a great gun as well. I think 9mm is great in any HK.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've fired the P2000sk in .40 and Glock 27 side by side, and the recoil difference was noticeable. The P2000sk handled the .40 round quite a bit better than the 27.

9mm is FINE for defense, btw. However, the P2000sk might be a bit thicker than other 9mm concealed-carry options, but it is a very nice pistol indeed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
what's the recoil deference of .40 vs. .357 sig?
I havent shot 357 sig, but I have heard its a substantial difference. A much sharper recoil, but still rather easily controllable. I dont know anyone who has shot it from a sub compact though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Recoil difference.....

what's the recoil deference of .40 vs. .357 sig?

I own both .40 and .357 calibers in the USP compact model. The recoil of the .357 is actually milder than the .40S&W. For some reason, most people assume that the .357 SIG is hard to shoot, but this is not the case at all.

I would characterize the recoil of the .357 as being less than a .40 caliber, but a little greater than the .45 ACP.

Try one- you will be suprised!

ARKAY

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK if you can get a 9mm in 147gr. and a .40 in 155gr. why not go for the .40 'cause then you can load down to around the 9mm or up to a 180 gr. if you feel you need it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
USP40 vs P2000 9mm

Although everone has valid suggestions regarding the 9mm vs .40cal, I think you should always shoot what's most comfortable to you and better to control. I have a HK USP40 that has had 10,000+ rnds though it and it has always been a flawless weapon. I also have a P2000 9mm and it shoots just as well and acurate, it too has been a flawless operating weapon (thanks to Heckler & Koch) but something always draws me too my HK USP40. Is it the feel, is it the addition power over the 9mm, I don't know, but the point is I shoot both weapons accurately, they both handle very well, and neither one has ever malfunctioned on me. But at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, I will shoot the one weapon that I feel a better connection with and you should do the same.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
40 S&W, ........ Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, 9mm is still for women and pansies.:320000:
Don't make me laugh.:330:

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I think there are valid points made and some not so valid.

My first concern with a carry gun for me is the confidence of shooting the gun. Caliber is a concern but not on the top of the list. Conceal-ability is another.

I currently carry a USPC45 because of my 'potential' carry guns > P239/357sig or Colt Defender (45) ~ I shoot it the best and consider it the most dependable. YMMV

I am too considering a SK because of reason #3 above (conceal) but am concerned how well I would shoot it (#1) vs the caliber (#2).

Of course the bigger the caliber is better but if you MISS or can't control the follow-up shots then it is all moot or dead (whichever comes first).

I am thinking of an SK in 357sig but really need to shoot one first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to a range, try and rent them both, then make your decision.

Living in Wisconsin, I cant carry a gun, so size wasn't a concern for me. I chose the .40sw. Reason being, the 155gr .40 will out perform any 9mm round. Personally I think the 180gr .40 is too heavy, and it seems to really shine at 155gr-165gr.

Now, does that mean that the 9mm is insufficient? No, of course not.

Is one better than the other? Depends on who you ask.

As far as recoil, and control. I will admit, that most people probly shoot the 9mm better than a .40sw. However most people will shoot a .22 better than both. With practice you can certainly shoot the shoot a 9mm as well as a .22 and you can shoot a .40sw as well as a 9mm.

You can always buy the .40sw, get a 9mm barrel and a couple mags, and you gave two guns in one. Throw in the .357sig for good measure, and you have more options that you probly need. You cant go UP, but you can always go down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shot placement is everything. If you are more accurate with a 9mm then go with it. Especially for those follow up shots. (please no stupid no follow up shots needed with a 40 comment because we all know that is BS)
I agree wholeheartedly, and the nice thing about follow-ups with 9mm is the ease/quickness of re-establishing your aim, which speeds the rate of secondary fire, while giving you the most amount of capacity if multiple follow-ups are necessary.

G

·
To reply to the original post...

I think you will be surprised at the amount of recoil the 40S&W produces compared to the 9mm. The difference isn't extremely noticeable. Any good firearm dealer will allow you to use a firearm before you buy it. Get a hold of an H&K authorized dealer and take advantage of this. If they want your business, they'll let you do it.

As far as whether you're crazy or not, that's your judgment. Arguments of shot placement, reliability, bullet weight, and velocity are great, but when it all comes down to it, you make the final decision. However, I didn't quite understand the argument of reliability... It's an H&K!

Here's some food for thought... The U.S. military adopted the M9 9mm pistol as the primary self defense weapon around 1990. We still carry it today. When the 40S&W cartridge was introduced around that same time, a lot of police departments and sheriff's offices went to it. Many still use it. Both are obviously effective.

Regardless your personal preference, the best thing you can do to make sure it's effective is TRAIN WITH IT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
9 instead of a 40

I dont want to start a peeing match but here's my 2 cents anyway.
Just like I tell my students, Shot placement is the key ...Period....
carry what YOU can shoot the best ,,What YOU feel most comfortable with and what YOU have the most faith in, If you can put all these together it does not matter if you carry a 9mm, a 40 or a 45 acp, .however asking questions Is very smart..as you can see all people here are giving very good advise.BUT ,,,remember, it's what YOU will have to use if needed, nobody else ! I carry a 45 acp, why ? because I can shoot the 45 acp.
however I own several 9mm's and 40's and if i need them I have nothing but good "vibes" when their in my mitts.
Hope this helps...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts