HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gun just fell out of my car while I was getting out in my house and it got pretty dinged up. The safety lever got the brunt of the fall but the front end of the gun also received some damage. It's a uspc 9mm in stainless so it doesn't show as much compared to a blued gun. Should I replace the lever or leave it as is to give it some "character". Someone else has to feel their guns need to also look pretty also

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had that happen once with a blued XD 9mm. I was pissed off at first but after I calmed down I thought that it made it looked "used". I think that it'll add a little character to yours as well. Give it time, but if it bothers you in the end, replace it. I too like to keep my guns looking nice and clean but that doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with ManDown. Knowing myself, I would likely replace it but I would definitely give it some time first. You may find that it's not worth the cost. Have you priced the safety? That would help make the decision as you can do a cost benefit analysis. On the bright side, at least it is still intact and you didn't have an accidental discharge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to try to keep my stuff as shiny as possible, though I long since realized that all my new watches, knives, lighters, multi-tools, flashlights, firearms, etc are all tools. Tools are meant to be used, and if I wanted to keep them showroom quality then I would keep them in a showroom. As long as they work, I don't care what they look like.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would replace any damaged or injured parts.

Long ago in another life, I wrapped a S&W model 29 in a towel to take to
the range. I placed the rolled up towel on top of my car, fumbled for my
keys, then got in and drove off.

Well, you know the rest.

If scratches are considered character, then that poor pistol had a lot of character.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
My CCW was a sig 226 and this was the first pistol I ever bought.

After years of carry and thousands of rounds I sent it backt to Sig and after 4 weeks and 140 dollars it was refinished and looks brand new to this day.

I think its better to get guns refinished and you can find much better deals than a factory job.

·
Registered
195 Posts
you already carried the gun, so its not going to have a 100% re-sale value. Did you buy it to USE, or as an investment? You bought a fine tool for a job. If it shows use, than its not a safe queen, its protecting you. Buy a new safety if it really bugs you, but its going to get dropped again if you keep wearing it. Next time it'll break your $140 trinium night sights.

You can one "clunker" and one pretty safe queen.

.. Convince the wife you need two for this purpose.

Its good it fell in your driveway instead of at the bank. lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
My USP 45 has 4 tiny scratches forming almost a double V on the right side of the slide right near the indicator line, pretty much right where an ambi safety would go.

I have no idea how they got there, I figure it had to happen fighting with someone or by putting it in/taking it out of a gun locker at work. I will probably get the pistol refinished in a few years, but I'm in no hurry.

As others have said, it's a tool. Small dings that don't impair function are proof the pistol is doing its job. Hell, ever seen pictures of the M9s and M4s in use in Iraq or Afghanistan? Lots of character, and I doubt the military will be refinishing them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went to a gun show with a friend, and he bought a XD subcompact 40. We went to the range immediately afterward. After a couple of mags, he handed me the pistol unloaded for me to try. I then immediately dropped it onto the ground (gravel and small rocks).

I felt really bad, but luckily for me he views guns as tools to be used.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my Mark 23 looks like I do, a lot of scars along the edges,some of the shine is off,but we're both still full of fight!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has a few dings/scratches where the slide stop was put back in and I guess I wasn't very careful. It's shiny spots but not really noticeable unless your looking for it. No idea how it got there, I was mad about it at first but now I don't really care. It's a tool.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Its that first damage that's the hardest to overcome, like the first time you drop a new cell phone, its gonna happen. I recently was carrying too many things (isn't that how it always happens?) and dropped my Glock 26, causing a nick on the rear sight and some scuffs on the butt of the grip. If you take the weapon out there's always a chance they won't come back exactly the same... just my thoughts.

·
Banned
384 Posts
In my opinion, if its a carry piece, then Id rock on...there will be something worse come along. Also, I can tell you from experience, if you keep anything with you everyday (cell, wallet, watch, gun, etc..) it will all show wear. Its just going to happen. If you care so much about the gun that you dont want it scratched, worn, nicked, etc, then its likely NOT a good choice for a carry gun. I would suggest firmly wrapping your mind around this gun being your 'duty rig' and from now on treating it like the tool it is.

Clean it, train with it, carry it, trust it. Dont baby it. Back when I used to carry a Glock 27 all the time, I would also wear it fourwheeling. At the end of the day, you couldnt tell where the mud stopped and the gun/holster began. I would stop in the river by where we parked and dunk the pistol in, washing it off as best I could. When I got home, Id unload it, oil it, and put it beside the bed.

Never a problem, only thing I ever noticed is that the edges of the finish looked worn after a while.

I am trading off tomorrow a gun Ive carried for about a year, and it shows no more wear than any other used handgun, and it has been with me/on me every minute of the last year (showering excluded...).

I consider a carry gun one to trust, and to actually kinda cherish the wear on...It means that you and it have been there and done that so to speak.

hkx3

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Be proud of Your scars, they add character ;) I don´t actualy come to realy like any of my guns before it´s nicely worn in.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
My CCW was a sig 226 and this was the first pistol I ever bought.

After years of carry and thousands of rounds I sent it back to Sig and after 4 weeks and 140 dollars it was refinished and looks brand new to this day.

I think its better to get guns refinished and you can find much better deals than a factory job.
So Sig will refinish a gun for just $140?? I have a 228 I was issued when I first joined my department that is weathered now. I would love to get it looking pretty again.

I found the services list!! Looks like the cost has gone up to $170 for both the receiver and frame.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/documents/2007CustomShopServicesPriceList.pdf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts