HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I have a quick question for the lefties on this forum that use the USP Compact. As I understand it, you can easily purchase an ambidextrous control lever to use the safety and decocker, but how do you guys deal with the slide release?

I recently used an HK 45 Compact and I noticed the newer models have mirrored slide release levers, but it doesn't seem to be the case for the USP Compact models. As much as I liked the HK45c, I just liked the feel of the USP45c a little better.

I'm thinking about picking one up in the near future, but not being able to easily access the slide release bothers me a little bit. How do you guys deal with it? An awkward index finger shuffle seems like a hassle over a quick flick of the thumb, and I'm hoping there's something that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for any advice! This forum seems like it has a deep wealth of knowledge and I look forward to picking your brains more in the future. =)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome.

I'm not left handed, but to me the obvious answer is to not use the slide release and instead overhand rack/slingshot the slide to load the pistol.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Welcome.

I'm not left handed, but to me the obvious answer is to not use the slide release and instead overhand rack/slingshot the slide to load the pistol.
Plus 1 to the above!

Welcome to HKPro. You are among friends.

Also, your technique for inserting a mag on an open slide can be done in such a way as to cause the slide to release on it's own. Many on here train to do just that every time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies! I wasn't aware there was an effective way of releasing an open slide without manipulating the slide release lever. Do you mind giving a quick description of the technique that you mentioned?

After doing some reading, it seemed like I was going to have to go with an HK45c if I wanted to have the ability to seamlessly transition from freshly emptied mag with an open slide, to mag replacement, to closed slide and loaded chamber in one quick and fluid motion.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I wasn't aware there was an effective way of releasing an open slide without manipulating the slide release lever. Do you mind giving a quick description of the technique that you mentioned?
Just slam the mag in and the slide will be released. Doesn't happen all the time though, but will if there's enough force. It happens on my HK45c, P30, USPc, and even Sig.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just slam the mag in and the slide will be released. Doesn't happen all the time though, but will if there's enough force. It happens on my HK45c, P30, USPc, and even Sig.
+1
Keep the pistol firmly planted in your shooting hand and slam the mag home,(works best with extended base plates vs flat)
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Does anybody know if this will work with the MARK 23?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'm really happy to hear about the workaround to the issue and I'll practice with it. In that case, I think I'm pretty settled on getting a USP45c then. I'll definitely be lurking around this forum some more and I really appreciate how quick and knowledgeable you guys are. The community here seems awesome. =)

·
Registered
765 Posts
The same way I operate the slide stop on every other gun that discriminates against those of us who are in our right mind, from 1911s and Beretta, to the pre-P2000 HKs: with my trigger finger.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm left handed and have a USPc 45. I usually install the ambi lever on all my HK guns. I haven't done it on my carry gun because it makes the gun thicker but I think I'm going to suck it up and do it anyways. I have pretty large hands so I just operate the slide release with my left index finger. As soon as the slide moves into battery, I move the finger down inside the trigger guard. I use my thumb to operate the ambi lever and also the magazine release.

I try to not rely on having ambi slide releases because only about half the guns these days have them and I don't want to end up relying on left handed ones. The ambi lever is around $100 though which is why I haven't done it already. I don't do the whole slamming the mag thing because the gun wasn't designed for that and if its not consistent I don't want to rely on that method.

It would be nice of they were all like the P30 and P2000 which already had the full ambi stuff but I hate the trigger on the P30 and the P2000 is just too small for my hands. And for a left handed person the "ambi" level on the Mark 23 complete sucks. It's soo far back that even my big hands can barely operate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a lefty and new.to.the forum. I just picked up 2 right side control levers. 1 for my hk45 and 1 for a hk45c I've yet to buy. Hk parts had them in stock for half a day and then they were gone. Love the uspc, but bc hk45c is more ambidextrous and more comfortable to me, I'm going that way. Slide release was never my issue, but the safety's beimg on wrong side for me was problem. If that doesn't bOther you then slide release can easily be manipulated w left trigger finger. Great gun amd enjoy. Hk parts shipped everything fast and correct and I'm very happy. O also picked up a .357 barrel for an hk2000. 40 caliber that also sold out in half a day for a gun I've yet to buy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On most of my guns, I use my trigger finger to release the slide. I can't do this with Sigs (and therefore I stay away from them), and with Glocks it can be done, but it's a struggle, so I sling-shot those. HKs have nice big slide releases so it's very easy. I used to sling-shot everything, but now I have different techniques for each gun.

Safeties. . . what safeties? All the HKs are light LEM (although the 1911s have ambi safeties).

Mag releases all vary. If it's on the left side (1911s), I use my middle finger which places my index finger on the slide stop. On the HKs I mainly use my thumb when I can, but the USPc is a bit of a stretch and I have to break my grip a little. The Gen 4 Glocks have a reversible release, and I have those flipped to the right side, and using my thumb is easy, but before I flipped it, I had no problem hitting it on the left side with either my index finger or middle finger.

Frankly, I think being a lefty with the HK 9x series is far worse. The charging handle is what really kills me. Definitely slow and clunky for a lefty, but the good news is that when you do the slap, you are slapping it in the correct direction (if you use your right hand and hit it with a rearward and to the left blow it's natural to come over the top).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You can very easily reach the slide release with your trigger finger on a USPc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts