HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the opinion of the guy's here about shooting steel cased ammo such as Wolf in the PTR 91 platform? I have heard that it is hard on the extractors. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
The answer to that question has been answered, oh... maybe several hundred times. It doesn't hurt anything. They may call it steel, but it's so soft it's good for nothing else. I've been using steel in my G-3, 51, 51K, and Garand since 1989. And steel 223 in my ARs, HK-33, 53, 53K, and Mini-14 for almost as long. My Thompsons love the lacquered steel 45acp and all the various 8mms I found for the Browning A-4 runs just fine.

I don't know who started the "steel ammo is crap" rumor, but it seems to have gone bacterial.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Steel cased ammo is dangerous to shoot in a G3 type gun. When you do, this little metal projectile comes flying out the end of the barrel at alarming speeds. So yeah, it can damage a lot more than just the gun.

You need to box it all up and send it to me. I'll properly dispose of it for you.

Now I gotta get back to drinking myself some malt liquor, with that special ingredient that makes young black men go crazy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been using polymer-coated steel-cased ammo with no problems. I keep some around for those occasions where I won't be able to retrieve my brass.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Historically the fluted chambers were in part to balance the extraction force of brass and steel case. The brass extracted easier but flowed into the chamber flutes more ... thus something to balance between the two. Reference Full Circle Collector Grade Publications - Bookshelf #8 - Gun Books - Swedish Mausers, Swedish K98Ks, Great Remington 8, Enfield-SA80 Rifle, Autoloading Rifles

Figure with the cost savings you can buy a new extractor every few cases of ammo and never need them, but everyone should have an extra plus hand full of extractor springs ...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't know who started the "steel ammo is crap" rumor, but it seems to have gone bacterial.
Didn't you know those steel cases are made from hardened tool steel, and can also be used to rivit 1/2 in steel plate together? Let's also not forget about those steel bullets, you know the armour piercing ones.................

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Didn't you know those steel cases are made from hardened tool steel, and can also be used to rivit 1/2 in steel plate together? Let's also not forget about those steel bullets, you know the armour piercing ones.................
Ummm... it's not the AP that scrags barrels, it was the Chinese copper warshed STEEL JACKETED ammo that turned many a fine barrel (I have a handful) into 30 cal shotgun tubes. I can honestly brag about pulling a projo off any 30 cal cartridge and stick it in one of these barrels just watch it slide right through the barrel and smack yer sneaker...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Really?? I was being facetious. I have a buttload of that stuff( Norinco CW case, bullet) from the 90's and of course I have not used it in FA to the extent you have but I have seen that stuff hit rocks and not deform much. Maybe it's not the same stuff. How do you tell? I think the stuff I have was the stuff with the steel rod in it. What are you talking on round count on them there smoothbores?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
I've turned a fairly new barrel into a spit-tube in less than 3 cases... that's 3600 rounds for the Chinese copper warshed stuff. It has a steel jacket AND a steel core and a bit of lead flowed between the two... I have a few sectioned bullets here somewhere...

·
Registered
571 Posts
i run a lot of steel in my roller-locked guns with no problems. i also run it in my less expensive FAL. my DSA gets SA surplus, only.

i don't run steel in my M1A's and AR's. sticky bolt problems.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
i don't run steel in my M1A's and AR's. sticky bolt problems.
It should work with no problems... I'd want to find out what's wrong with both of those guns if it were me...

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Have shot Chinese steel cased in my HK and my PTR for years.. no problem

My polytech M1A was also designed to shoot this stuff, chrome bore and all that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts