HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AW8**** series PTR91FK that I bought new last March. Over the past year I've shot only one box of American Eagle, everything else (1000+ rounds) have all been Tula, Silver Bear and as of today Herter's ammo.

I have yet to have a single FTF or FTE even when I mixed different brands of ammo in the same magazine. I purchased a few boxes of Herter's .308 from Cabelas and wanted to see how it would work out. I went to the range today and put 100 rounds through without a hiccup. Pulled the trigger, rifle went bang every time.

Cabela's is running a sale on Herter's .308 for $7 and change a box so if anyone wants to know if the PTR91 will handle it, it does. At least the newer series barrels.

The only downside that I found with the Herter's is that it's just as dirty as Tula so the rifle needed a good scrubbing when I got done.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The best stuuf I use lately is from Cheaper than dirt. Its the BVAC 150gr reloads on lake city brass [I save the boxer brass]. Its $116 for 200rnds delivered.Very accurate and copper jacket also. Shoots as good as the PORT and hirtenberger I have. Wideners has some santa barbara thats pretty clean and accurate also, I,m rambling now......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best stuuf I use lately is from Cheaper than dirt. Its the BVAC 150gr reloads on lake city brass [I save the boxer brass]. Its $116 for 200rnds delivered.Very accurate and copper jacket also. Shoots as good as the PORT and hirtenberger I have. Wideners has some santa barbara thats pretty clean and accurate also, I,m rambling now......
The only problem I found with CTD is their shipping costs. I also saw the Wideners Santa Barbara ammo....is the SB good ammo?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The only problem I found with CTD is their shipping costs. I also saw the Wideners Santa Barbara ammo....is the SB good ammo?
Yes,I got 200 in the mail. Its all SB 81' berdan prime/non corrosive. All copper jacket,no magnet stickin to it. Good stuff. $88 for 200 rnds in SB boxes.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I've shot a bunch of german MEN ammo through it with no problem. Someone told me it's DAG by another name.
The DAG is a different plant in germany that makes the same ammo for the military.The DAG stamped stuff from my experience , is very "TARRY" black sticky nasty stuff. Your serial# range sounds high enough that PTR may have cut your flutes CORRECTLY. You got a good one .

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only thing I've shot is the British Rad-way green ammo. No problems at all. But then I have 4k's of this stuff.
Not enough guns to meany bullets.

·
Registered
571 Posts
CAVIM is the only ammo I've ever seen not work in A series JLD PTR's.

Turns them into a single shot rifle.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
AW 1500 zone

Radway

Chinese copper washed steel core

Winchester white box

handloaded soft points

Total + or - 950 rds and 2 MOA with everything and irons or an Eotech. No appreciable loss of gap, still at "15"

100% except after my trigger job a few of the Chinese (like 2) have failed to fire.. hard primers I guess

·
Registered
370 Posts
Supposedly PTR finally got around to fixing the flute/ammo problems somewhere around serial 8000. There is a post somewhere on here about it sometime last year?.
The writer spoke to them at the 2011 SHOT SHOW and that was what they told him.
Like BLITZKREIG, I have put a couple thousand various rounds through my AW 12XX and former AW 05XX with no trouble.
My remaining AW 12XX loves German DAG Surplus, Radway, Russian Steel Case and of course AE, as does my G.I..!!

HOWDY BLITZKREIG!!
Will Contact you when things here straighten out!!
BANGER

·
Registered
20 Posts
DAG german ammo will definately tell you if your flutes are correct.
I've got a PTR 91GI, DAG ammo works just fine... looks like PTR fixed the ammo problems with the GI edition, and its cheaper than the other models. Although it takes that 2 freakin hours to clean the gun after shooting the tar sealed ammo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just bought a PTR today so I'm reading up...have to comment on Cheaper Than Dirt. They suck. I attempted to order a few Thermold 10 round mags (to comply with the stupid laws here in CA) and CTD is trying to charge me $15 to ship 3, tiny, plastic mags?? Ridiculous. They need to change their name to Cheap Thieving Dumbasses.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best places to buy bulk .308 ammo on the west coast? TO date I've used ammoman.com and jackrossammo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Supposedly PTR finally got around to fixing the flute/ammo problems somewhere around serial 8000. There is a post somewhere on here about it sometime last year?.
The writer spoke to them at the 2011 SHOT SHOW and that was what they told him.
Like BLITZKREIG, I have put a couple thousand various rounds through my AW 12XX and former AW 05XX with no trouble.
My remaining AW 12XX loves German DAG Surplus, Radway, Russian Steel Case and of course AE, as does my G.I..!!

HOWDY BLITZKREIG!!
Will Contact you when things here straighten out!!
BANGER
No worries bro !

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Just bought a PTR today so I'm reading up...have to comment on Cheaper Than Dirt. They suck. I attempted to order a few Thermold 10 round mags (to comply with the stupid laws here in CA) and CTD is trying to charge me $15 to ship 3, tiny, plastic mags?? Ridiculous. They need to change their name to Cheap Thieving Dumbasses.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best places to buy bulk .308 ammo on the west coast? TO date I've used ammoman.com and jackrossammo.

Thanks.
I hate finding what looks like a good item price and then after you get ready to place the order the S & H is way out of bounds.. in fact I rarely will complete any purchase with "handling" charges. I used to sell gun stuff online and never charged a handling fee

1 - 20 of 32 Posts