HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And maybe fun/nostalgic. Ok, a few ”rules” - you can’t say how many HK guns you have, nor can you disclose any values. That’ll make it fun for everyone and the guy with 1 gun and 6000 guns can participate. But, um, if you have 6000 HK guns, please be aware that I would be a very attentive and respectful adopted son. Or son-in-law if you have a hot daughter.

Like many of you, I’d bet, I have a spreadsheet that I use to track inventory and values. Think of (but don’t say) the total value of your HK firearm selection. We’ll call this number “A”. It can be price paid or current value. Next, think of the price you paid for your first car. Again, don’t tell us how much it cost, just think of the number. We’ll call this number “B”.

Divide the HK value by the cost of the car, or A/B. What’s your number? My number is 3.16. Dang.

Here are some quick examples...

• HK value is $5000. 1st Car value was $500. Your number is 10.
  • HK value is $850. 1st Car value was $2000. Your number is 0.425.
  • HK value is $100,000. 1st Car value was $750. Your number is 133.33

You don’t necessarily have to have a huge HK collection in order to have a high number. For example, a guy with 2 or 3 guns with a value of, let’s say $2500, could blow the doors off the guy with the 133.33 number if his first car was a heap and he only paid $50 for it (he‘d have a score of 50).

Yeah, slightly bored this afternoon. Remember, no discussion of how many guns, value of guns or value of that first car. This is all about “the number”.

My number is 3.16

😁

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I automatically win this game. My number is infinity. (I have never purchased a car).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no, that’s not how math works. Any number divided by zero is not infinity despite computer programmers thinking it is. That’s a work-around to ensure code doesn’t blow up. It’s debatable whether the result is zero or is just an error. Since we‘re not dealing with extended complex numbers, we’ll just say no participation trophy if you haven’t bought a car in your life. Lol.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you don't know the current price of your stash, would gunbroker be a good indicator of the value in today's market? If someone is willing to pay x amount, then that's what it is valued, correct? if not, do you go buy MSRP of the product?

·
Priest of the P7
4,806 Posts
How ze shlt do you guys remember how much you paid for your first car?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Taking into consideration:
the current value of the complete HK firearms not counting clones, extra mags, accessories like scope mounts, bayonets, bayonet mounts, spare parts, 'parts kits' or clone receivers.

the actual price (w/o interest/insurance/tax/tag/license/title fees and not counting any accessories like hitch or bike rack) of the first vehicle I PURCHASED (third vehicle I owned)
That would have been 0.093

-or-

Current value of the firearms as above
vs
MSRP of the first auto I owned (and vs. GUESSTIMATED value at the time I obtained the vehicle.)

That would be ~0.3 (and ~1.0)

-and just for chuckles-
vs
~ current value of my current ride (and vs. ~MSRP & ~actual price before taxes/fees etc..)
0.067 to .075 (vs. ~0.056 & ~.064)

TO continue the just for chuckles
vs
~MSRP of my main mountain bike w/ mods (vs. ~what I paid.)
~0.88 (~1.23)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't know the current price of your stash, would gunbroker be a good indicator of the value in today's market? If someone is willing to pay x amount, then that's what it is valued, correct? if not, do you go buy MSRP of the product?
Sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I paid over 4X what I paid for my first car for each of my HKs neither of which were made when my first car was. That car today would easily go for 5 and possibly 10 times what each my HKs cost.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Well, no, that’s not how math works. Any number divided by zero is not infinity despite computer programmers thinking it is. That’s a work-around to ensure code doesn’t blow up. It’s debatable whether the result is zero or is just an error. Since we‘re not dealing with extended complex numbers, we’ll just say no participation trophy if you haven’t bought a car in your life. Lol.
Yeah, I understand that. The limit approaches infinity, but in the limit it is blows up and is undefined. Just thought I'd be playful.

If we use the estimated value of my first car (which was given to me) I'd be somewhere around around 7.5 - 8.

Started my own business out of college, and my business bought my car. If we use that value I'm at 2.8.
Been using company-owned fleet vehicles as a perk since selling my business and taking a regular job.

Probably getting a new F450 sometime in 2021, or 2022. Then my number will drop to 0.34. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably getting a new F450 sometime in 2021, or 2022. Then my number will drop to 0.34. :)
I do like those 450s. I'm riding around in a Chevy 2500 High Country diesel and it's pretty similar to the Ford. I think the Ford has a much larger gas tank, though. I do a lot of trailer towing and that truck will outlive me. Totally enjoy it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts