HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate enough to “have” to go to the AUSA (association of the US Army) show this week down in DC, for work... The largest trade show for the US Military. The show was fantastic, every major contractor and supplier of arms and systems was present.

HK had a pretty nice display booth setup. They had everything other than a full size USP on hand to handle. I got a copy of all the literature that they had on hand, BUT I cant post attachments yet, I emailed the webmaster. If anyone can post them, I can email you the pdf scans to post and some other cool pics.

I’ll preface my report with I am not an operator and I am not in LE. I’ve been a weapons and military enthusiast for all my life and would consider my firearms skills to be intermediate at best when compared to the real deal, SWAT, SOF, etc. but I’m working on it!!
I’m not an armchair warrior but I also do not have near the level of experience as others on this board. I do work on Military programs in my profession and deal with future and advanced tactical wheeled vehicle development, when I comes to equipment and combat systems, I know my stuff, but I’m not the end user.

HK45/HK45c
Fantastic feel, well balanced and the interchangeable backstrap and side panels will make this weapon quite user friendly for most hand sizes other than a very small hand. The HK45c had decocking on both sides of the weapon (optional) and I wasn’t a big fan of that, increased the overall width more than I liked. I was very surprised how well the HK45c fit my hand and was sized, it was similar in size to the P2000 in .40SW. Still probably too large for most concealed carry situations, but I would take it over the full size HK45. I didn’t like the extended mag on the HK45c, so I loaded a USP compact mag with the finger lip and it was perfect, the ‘c’ will take the full size mags as well. The rep said that the HK45 IS available now in the USA, can anyone confirm this?? Im in the market and its either going to be the HK45c or a P2000 .40SW (any opinions??? Recommendations between the two would be GREATLY appreciated!)

P2000
This one’s been on the market and im sure others had reported on it before.

HK416/HK417….
Hmmm….7.62...Hmmm…
What an amazing firearm. The weight and balance were both better than I expected. Esp with the 12” barrel on it, good for 400m according to the HK rep. I spend most of my time handling the 417, why not! Ammo load/weight isn’t an issue for me! The 417 felt about as light as the Colt M4 in 5.56. The 417 with optional XM320 40mm grenade launcher and a 16” barrel would be my choice…  Yes, I had someone take a Scarface pic of me for my brother. The grip circumference is wider than most other ARs I’ve handled before, I’ve always felt Colts and Bushmasters were too narrow for my hand. Trigger pull was shorter than I expected while dry firing (yes, I asked 1st) and was probably weighted around 8lbs I’m guessing. The 4 sided modular MIL-STD 1913 rail system was pretty nice to have as a stock feature.
Now the bad news…They have NO plans to bring this weapon over for civilian use… LE has a chance though! There was a Delta guy there that I spoke with and he had nothing but GREAT things to say about the weapon, but he wouldn’t elaborate too much on accuracy etc…and I didn’t push for info (several foreign military personnel at the show as well). They pretty much can use what they want from what he said and they mostly all use the HK.

I handled all the sub machine guns as well, pretty nice, nothing super new though. Their automatic grenade launcher was pretty bad-a$$! I wish I could have one of those mounted from my sunroof for my morning commute… It was pretty heavy, ok REALLY heavy...

If anyone has any questions, toss them out and I’ll try to answer as best I can. Again, I’m not a pro, and if I don’t know, that’s what I’ll tell ya.

Other cool stuff at the show…
Thermal sights, SEVERAL companies had samples to play with and try out. I forgot the manufacture but there was one (currently fielded) that is good out to 2500m (8-12x) that was wonderful! We were inside the convention hall and I was aiming around 300m away (the sight was useless under 200m) and it had no issues reading posters and signs hanging from other booths…yes, I said reading signs, with a thermal sight… The hall has lighting all over the place and the sight could detect the difference in surface temperature between black lettering and white backgrounds so they were very clear and easy to read, cool. It was capable of detecting differences in temp around ¼ degree F, the auto gain adjust had some issues inside the hall with temps all over the place, but that was expected.
Lockheed had some nice displays with hellfires and their other new missile system (forgot the name). There were probably 6 different automatic weapon systems that were remote controlled with a joystick, such as CROWS. Thermal, light amplification, and standard CCD cameras all on the same LCD display or helmet mounted display, touch a button and the cam switches sources. Unreal zoom capability (~50x!) in about 2 seconds. They had shape recognition so you could highlight a target (a German officer in my case, oops) and the system would track the target and adjust for target speed and lead it.

Probably one of the coolest things I saw was a holographic sight mounted to a Ma Duece from General Dynamics. The Aperture was about 8” across and 4” -5” tall, a HUGE FOV!!! It was simply amazing, hard to describe unless you’re sitting behind the weapon and sight, anything and everything’s a$$ would be owned with this thing.

I got to play with a few mini guys as well, one company actually let me fire up the electric motor on it, WOW! Instant spool up and what a whine! I only had it on for a few seconds before a LOT of heads turned, wanting to duck.

OK, that is prob long enough, but there were many MANY more cool things to see, every Surefire, S&W, Colt, GLOCK (I got to meet the gunney!), Boeing, AM-General, Blackwater, any and every type of munition/ammo (.223 up to 155mm!), body armor up the wazoo, UAVs, robots with weapon systems, MRAPS, M1A3s, helmet mounted displays, there was just too much to see and touch. Unfortunately I was having too good of a time handling everything I didn’t really take that many pics…sorry… I even got to handle AT4s, TOWs and JAVELINs.

I have the new surefire master catalog as well if anyone wants me to scan any pages.

Sorry for the length!
-b

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Sounds like it was alot of fun wish I could have been there instead of at work.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sounds like a blast! Surefire keeps promoting and Ive been waiting for my 900a from them for 2 months lol.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,612 Posts
Pix please!

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
You lucky dog!! that must have been some show!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I hate to ask this Bcar, but were there any slimy polticans, senators or conngressman, with their tounghs out, looking for hand outs???

I don't think you can lay your hands on a HK45 yet, but the P30's are starting to show up.

Sounds like you really had a great time, Thanks for your service!!! Also Thanks for the wonderful report of the show, Next time call me and I'll round up a 4 star General's uniform and we will really have some fun!!!:100000: TJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didnt see too many political types, but I was trying to avoid them unless I was trying out a new scope or weapon sight :)

Id love to post pics and scans of the HK catalogs etc, but I cant... Im "not a prem member" and sorry, im not going to pay to post... If someone else who is can post them, id be happy to email them off to you. I've got one more option i'll try 1st. The catalogs were all ones I haven’t seen before.

Im really hoping I can get my own HK45c shortly, id like to stick with .45acp over .40SW.... hmmm...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts