HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is clearly and dangerously wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7dpfN9a718

He states that after decocking the USP it will unable to fire. While he says this the gun is clearly on FIRE. As we all know, after decocking a long pull of the trigger will fire the gun.

He also points the barrel directly into his gut at one point. Not a good thing if you are trying to demonstrate firearm SAFETY!

Someone should have this guy permanently removed from making any further firearm "safety" videos.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yea, it's pretty sad how bad this guy is. While yea, decocking the gun makes it safer it's by no means safe. And he doesn't say anything about not relying on the safety to prevent the gun from firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQ8b-GcmpQ

This guy is even more dangerous though. He loads live mag into his glock and manages to point it at his own head three times. While yes, the slide is still locked back, there's a live round all ready to be put into battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuG0hfhxunw

Here's him with a USP .45 which, not surprisingly, he points it at his head several times.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
He also says Heckler and "Kotch" vs saying it the proper German way, which sounds like ... Coke!
Well, neither "Kotch" nor "Coke" is the "proper German way" to pronaunce the word "Koch" right. :p

H.Koch

·
Registered
329 Posts
At least the second guy knows what he's talking about. Mr. Expert village is just a complete idiot. In my opinion you should not point a firearm at anything you're not willing to completely destroy. But on the other hand people who walk around with concealed weapons, or in a holster are pointing their firearm at them all day long. So if the guy feels that he is familiar enough and trusts himself not to shoot himself, he can do whatever he wishes, to HIMSELF. Now I don't care if you were an ex navy seal for the last 30 years, you don't screw up and point a gun at someone else, even if the breach is clear, gun on safe, firing pin removed, no magazine, bolt cut in half, just don't do it, unless you're from expert village.

One thing I did notice is he tells the viewer not to place his hand over the chamber whatsoever. Is this common practice? Is there something I'm unaware of? I commonly unload my handgun by placing my hand over the chamber just so I don't have to get on my hands and knees to find the ejected cartridge (that and so my cat doesn't think I gave him a new toy).

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
Due to the first thread I wrote to Expert Village telling them, that in my opinion the guy was not qualified to to be instructing people on the internet on firearms, use and/or safety.

My golden rule of life, People are stupid!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, neither "Kotch" nor "Coke" is the "proper German way" to pronaunce the word "Koch" right. :p

H.Koch

I cringe when I hear "Koch" butchered. I've also heard it said "koh". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
One thing I did notice is he tells the viewer not to place his hand over the chamber whatsoever. Is this common practice? Is there something I'm unaware of? I commonly unload my handgun by placing my hand over the chamber just so I don't have to get on my hands and knees to find the ejected cartridge (that and so my cat doesn't think I gave him a new toy).
What you are actually suposed to do is hold the gun sideways with the chamber hole in the slide facing up. Then you give the slide a good strong pull back throwing the round into the air so you can catch it. That way you can clear the gun and impress your friends all at once.:320000:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I viewed the video and I felt that I should send an email:

"Good Morning sir. I recently viewed (2) of your Youtube.com videos, "Hk USP 40" and "how to shoot, relax & breath". First I appreciate the idea that you are trying to inform new and current shooters proper handling and safe firing of weapons. I'm a Detective w/ Gary Police Dept. (10yrs now) and I know that shooting firearms accurately is something to be practiced continually. I have scored 239-240 out of total pts of 240 (level: Expert) in our dept.'s combat course almost everytime. I'm also a Hk nut.
Second, to assist new shooters in firearm related training, the instructor must have knowledge of the firearm himself. As I watched the USP40 video I couldn't believe that you stated that on a USP40 V1 (man. safety and decock) that the gun will NOT FIRE when the lever is level.
When the lever is pushed up it is on safe and can be cocked and locked. When the lever is depressed all the way down it decocks the hammer but still allows the gun to be fired. This gun is only in safe postion when the lever is pushed up, in the safe position per Hk manufactures manual.
Third, I viewed how to shoot video which you mention bone something. You really should get proper training yourself before you try to teach the public on shooting techniques.
This is only to express my concerns and not to pis you off. I feel that I have the ability to advise you of your mis information because I am trained in weapons and tactics as a sworn police officer."

Det. Joseph Martin #1357
Gary Police Dept.
Gary, Indiana

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great letter written to ExpertVillage! I was hoping someone with credentials would write something like that. Having had two ND's while my gun was in friend's hands I stress that the gun is always loaded but non-gun people just don't seem to get that.

The last friend I took to the range actually stuck the muzzle in his eye to try to look down the barrel. I just about had a heart attack and swear after every range trip I'll never take friends again. But I always end up taking them anyway when they beg and plead.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I want to know what made this guy think he was qualified to stary posing videos in the first place.

H. Koch, how do you pronounce Koch in German? I know HK USA prnounces it coke.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I sent an email through the expert village contact us link.

Your gun "expert" John Ritenour, is no expert. His videos are dangerous to the gun novice. Please remove his videos before someone gets hurt. I'm sure your company could be held liable for posting his "instructional" videos. One example is his claiming that once the USP40 Compact is decocked it is safe. Not so, decocking only takes the gun from single action back to double action. If one were to pull the trigger in this state the gun would definitely discharge. Another gun safety violation is his constant sweeping of the cameraman. He also points the gun at himself during the video. Not something you would want to teach a novice.

I am a retired law enforcement officer with extensive firearms training. I have attended several gun training courses put on by the manufacturer (Heckler & Koch) of the very gun John uses in his videos.

His videos may get someone killed.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am by no means an expert at all. I'm just past novice and have only been shooting periodically in the last two years. Just about everything he does is unbeleivably ignorant and, to reitterate, unsafe. I especially like how he attempted to decock the weapon by trying to force the lever UP! Oh he still has yet to tell people that it is a USP COMPACT. [email protected]$$! I understand there are many safety rules and that some may be confusing, but most of the ones he is violating are pretty self-explanatory.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great letter written to ExpertVillage! I was hoping someone with credentials would write something like that. Having had two ND's while my gun was in friend's hands I stress that the gun is always loaded but non-gun people just don't seem to get that.

The last friend I took to the range actually stuck the muzzle in his eye to try to look down the barrel. I just about had a heart attack and swear after every range trip I'll never take friends again. But I always end up taking them anyway when they beg and plead.
I never bring anyone unless they already have their own weapons. I hate to say that I don't trust some of my friends with a firearm in their hand, but thats why I don't bring them or encourage them to get one.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Have to say the second guy is a little better, even though I disagree with using the slide catch to release the slide.
The slide catch? Isn't that the same as the part HK calls the slide release? Why would you disagree with using the slide release to release the slide?

But I think he was lying on some of his comments, mainly the one about "yeah, well the gun was 1' away from my face" and "oh, well I was using dummy rounds". Uh-huh. Sure you were.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts