HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to pick up a near NIB HK 630 with HkO5 scope mount, fairly decent 3x9 scope and 3 magazines: 2 4 rounders and one 10 rounder. Went to the range and shot it this weekend. Grouping at 100yards was fantastic (forgot my phone to take photos). No recoil and just a fun rifle to shoot. I wish HK made these rifles still, as I think they were discontinued in 1986. Any HK old timers know why?? Poor sales or just the American shooting public likes bolt actions? Were they probably too expensive for the average person? $900 for a rifle in the 1980s is likely close to $2000.00 today, and 2000 is a lot for a rifle, but for quality it is worth every penny. I can not wait to try to find a 770 for next year, as the gun fund has been depleted again!! Like I said, this rifle was highly accurate with an average scope. I think if HK brought this sporting line back, they would definitely do well in states such as California, New York and other anti-black gun states. It was a little difficult to field strip, even with a manual, as the bolt carrier as a little stubborn getting out. The quality of all components was unbelievable. Just thought I would mention this great line of forgotten rifles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You'll get no argument here on what a great platform the sporting rifle line is. Never pass up a chance to pick one up if it's reasonably priced. The 300 and 630 are my favorites. Don't forget the SL6 and SL7. Rugged, well performing carbines.

I think the sales numbers weren't where HK would have liked to see but when George Bush Sr. signed that first awb, basically HK-Germany gave up on the civilian long gun market in the U.S.

Enjoy your 630. It's one of my favorite rifles ever.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
you've discovered one of HK's greatest unsung treasures! congrats.

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
Yes, the HK sporting rifle line comprises some truly excellent choices. As stated above, two stellar examples are the HK300 and HK630. Pleasures to shoot and treasures to own. Congrats!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great rifle, don't see them that often, great decision to pick it up.

I am looking for a 270 but would pick up the 630 if I could find one in the same great condition as yours for the right price.

HK Ag

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish I had been in the loop when my Dad was distributing his collection. I got an old Montgomery Ward shotgun. My brother, the Administrator, got the 6.5mm Mauser that Dad lovingly made a new stock for, and tapered the stepped barrel to remove the stepping. The bolt was exquisite as well, not sure what all got modified, but it might be the sweetest deer gun I've ever met. I took all my first with it, until I got my own .270 Sako.

A Mauser is not HK, but it IS 100% German!

·
Registered
76 Posts
How does the action lock in these?
Pull the cocking lever to the rear and on the rear most portion of the lever is a button/lever that you can depress to lock unlock the bolt.

Kind of hard to describe but it is visible in the picture in the thread. Doesn't look like a functioning part on the bolt lever, but it is in fact.

HK Ag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts