HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from doing the BW High Risk Security Op course. Great stuff, very INTENSE. All we shot as far as pistols were Glock 9mm's and a few guys had H&K USP .45's. All the Ex-SEAL Team guys seem to prefer Glock 9mm's. I would deff. suggest anyone interested in working down range do that course.

·
Registered
616 Posts
How much of a difference in the skill sets and abilities did you see between the students and the instructors?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How much of a difference in the skill sets and abilities did you see between the students and the instructors?
Night and day. Most of the students were good but the instructors are on a totally diff level. These guys are 20 year SEAL Team vets many with elite counter terrorism units. These guys shoot and move with real skill. We did some low light and night shoots and they would hit center just about every time even with low viz. I could shoot pretty good before but now iam at a much higher level. They correct you till you get it right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been dying to go myself but my schedule just doesn't allow me to take a week off to drive to NC for a tactical pistol course. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your lucky. I wish I could afford to do something like that but being a broke college student prevents me from doing that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Night and day. Most of the students were good but the instructors are on a totally diff level. These guys are 20 year SEAL Team vets many with elite counter terrorism units. These guys shoot and move with real skill. We did some low light and night shoots and they would hit center just about every time even with low viz. I could shoot pretty good before but now iam at a much higher level. They correct you till you get it right.
Makes me wonder how much training they have had to under go to shoot like that. Its amazing that a 5 day course can improve skills so much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes me wonder how much training they have had to under go to shoot like that. Its amazing that a 5 day course can improve skills so much.
It was 10 days and you basically shoot about 1800 pistol and 1800 carbine during that time. Like i said they really make you keep shooting till you get it down right. It made a big diff for me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It was 10 days and you basically shoot about 1800 pistol and 1800 carbine during that time. Like i said they really make you keep shooting till you get it down right. It made a big diff for me.
I am planning on taking their tac pistol 1, and exec. protection course next year. I will be bringing my uspf/uspc 45. Im just a bit bummed that even though they have excellent training and ranges their, I will not have the same type of shoot and move ranges they have when I get back home to help retain the skills that I will have hopefully learned :(

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am planning on taking their tac pistol 1, and exec. protection course next year. I will be bringing my uspf/uspc 45. Im just a bit bummed that even though they have excellent training and ranges their, I will not have the same type of shoot and move ranges they have when I get back home to help retain the skills that I will have hopefully learned :(
How much will the Pistol 1 class cost? What's the price for a pistol/carbine class?

JBR, what was the price for your class?

·
Registered
272 Posts
What if you use all there equipment? any differences? are you able to give us on say a, scale of 1-10 the improvement that you made? Where you started and where you finished up?

Any foreign students? and if so did they use Blackwater kit?

·
Registered
616 Posts
How much will the Pistol 1 class cost? What's the price for a pistol/carbine class?

JBR, what was the price for your class?
Most of their classes run around 1000.00 plus room and board.
What if you use all there equipment? any differences? are you able to give us on say a, scale of 1-10 the improvement that you made? Where you started and where you finished up?

I would assume it is quite a bit more expensive to use their equipment, but why would you want to use equipment that differs from what you will carry and/or use? Either way you can contact their training department for a quote.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of their classes run around 1000.00 plus room and board.

I would assume it is quite a bit more expensive to use their equipment, but why would you want to use equipment that differs from what you will carry and/or use? Either way you can contact their training department for a quote.
I actually used BW's Glock 9mm and Carbine cause i didnt really feel like going through the hassell at the airport.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You should contact them directly for that info. I will tell you one thing, i had to go through an extensive background check to be accepted the High Risk Course plus be able to prove that i had good skill level in those weapons. I would honestly rate myself about a 5 before and about an 8-9 now i guess. No matter, it will deff improve your overall skill and tactics.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I actually used BW's Glock 9mm and Carbine cause i didnt really feel like going through the hassell at the airport.
Its really no hassle, I travel through airports about 50 - 75 times per year and its really no hassle at all. Was there carbine or handgun any different than what you use in the field?
Mine was 2200. not including some meals.
Yours is the only 10 day class they offer isnt it though? How much did they tack on to your total for weapon rental, and how was the price of their ammo compared to bulk prices elseware? I am assuming they required that you use their ammo?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its really no hassle, I travel through airports about 50 - 75 times per year and its really no hassle at all. Was there carbine or handgun any different than what you use in the field?

Yours is the only 10 day class they offer isnt it though? How much did they tack on to your total for weapon rental, and how was the price of their ammo compared to bulk prices elseware? I am assuming they required that you use their ammo?
Iam a H&K fan so i really never carried a Glock. I use the same Bushmaster carbine though. The total wasnt too bad i guess if you are actually interested in working down range. IMO its the best and most intense class they have. One of my classmates brought his own H&K USP .40 and iam upset to say he had a few problems with it. I always hated Glocks but iam warming up to them. It seemed like the H&K had problems with all the extensive rough use. Iam not sure. Whatever, i love my USP compact .45

·
Registered
616 Posts
Iam a H&K fan so i really never carried a Glock. I use the same Bushmaster carbine though. The total wasnt too bad i guess if you are actually interested in working down range. IMO its the best and most intense class they have. One of my classmates brought his own H&K USP .40 and iam upset to say he had a few problems with it. I always hated Glocks but iam warming up to them. It seemed like the H&K had problems with all the extensive rough use. Iam not sure. Whatever, i love my USP compact .45
Thats why I want to take my USP and USPc to the tac 1 course. The USPc will be my primary and 2500 rounds in 5 days should be enough of a torture test for it. I never had my Glock fail when I use to carry one for work, but I still hated it. I also have never had my HK's fail, but they have only really endured range sessions of 500 rounds each at most in a dust free range...really doesnt simulate real world use does it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats why I want to take my USP and USPc to the tac 1 course. The USPc will be my primary and 2500 rounds in 5 days should be enough of a torture test for it. I never had my Glock fail when I use to carry one for work, but I still hated it. I also have never had my HK's fail, but they have only really endured range sessions of 500 rounds each at most in a dust free range...really doesnt simulate real world use does it.
Good point. It will be tested for sure. I cant tell you how dirty my weapons got from all the shooting and moving through gravel and shoot houses.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Good point. It will be tested for sure. I cant tell you how dirty my weapons got from all the shooting and moving through gravel and shoot houses.
I wish I could simulate that on a semi regular basis...Im thinking about doing some serious shooting simulations in arizona on my own one weekend, just transporting the amount of ammo I would need would be a logistical pain in the ass.

Any idea what the best way to simulate the type of conditions you faced in between training sessions at blackwater or other training facilities?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I could simulate that on a semi regular basis...Im thinking about doing some serious shooting simulations in arizona on my own one weekend, just transporting the amount of ammo I would need would be a logistical pain in the ass.

Any idea what the best way to simulate the type of conditions you faced in between training sessions at blackwater or other training facilities?
Pratice on gravel with dirt and plenty of dust. Practice shooting behind barricades. Standing, on a knee, and laying on the ground. It rained a couple of days and we never skipped a beat. Try putting up some pop up targets and practice tactical reloads on the move. I would try about 750-900 rds a session. Iam curious to see if my H&K usp compact would do well also. good luck and let me know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts