HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know over the past 3-5 years this has been brought up many times and I did a search about it and found some troubling comments about the USP FS 9mm mags being polymer. Some say they will bulge if ammo is left in them long while another commented he got malfunctions due to the rounds "getting bunched together". There appears to be a metal insert for about the first inch or so from the top where most of the wear would be. Having just bought this pistol yesterday I can't deny I do have some concerns after reading a dozen or so posts about the mags. Comments seemed to vary. I didn't research this pistol too much and was a bit surprised as the polymer mags. I guess I dropped the ball there but no where I read about it did it mentioned plastic mags. I can only assume this is not much of an issue most of the time? This was one comment that caught my eye early on.

"I had two rounds get stuck in the mag... Stuck side by side inside of the magazine. The jam held the follower down because of this, and all the rounds above it just jumbled around loose in the magazine.

I had to remove the baseplate, and take a cleaning rid and knock the hell out of those 2 rounds to get them loose. I reassembled the mag, and it seemed to work. But I had HK replace that 1 magazine.

After that, however, I never could trust the gun. The mags are not metal lined, if I remember right (its been a while). The mag bodies have too much flex in them that allowed this to happen. I have NEVER had this happen on another doublestack mag before or again. HK should make the fullsize 9mm USP mags to be metal, like the rest of their guns.
"

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think you're looking way to much into someone else's experience with their gun. If this were that large of an issue then HK would've rectified this immediately. Compared to other manufacturers HK does more testing and research than most.

After that, however, I never could trust the gun.
Thats a little extreme for a clear mag issue that this individual was experiencing. Not the gun. The part that I agree with though...reliability is the most important quality a weapon can have but there are things that you have to consider.

Guns are machines. They are moving parts. And they are tools. HK makes some of the best handguns I've ever had the pleasure of firing and owning and I'm an HKer for life...

BUT once and for ALL. Mechanical devices fail. No matter how well they are made. Some last longer than others but eventually they will fail. That is part of the game. Don't play if you can't pay.

If you're THAT scared about reliability. Then carry a revolver. And if you're scared about the revolver somehow malfunctioning then carry a fixed-blade knife.

Don't be scared because one person or even a small handfull experienced a malfunction. And a mag issue to boot. Remember, bad experiences are always heard and talked about more than good ones. Just enjoy they gun you just bought and worry about it if you ever have an issue. You'll sleep more and be a happier man.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the USP 9mm. I've always wanted to fire one to see the recoil difference between that and my USP45 which is smooth as silk anyways :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're THAT scared about reliability. Then carry a revolver. And if you scared about the revolver somehow malfunctioning then carry a fixed-blade knife.
I don't think that was necessary. This was only but one comment, there were others. The question and comments I made were legitimate for someone not having owned one of these before.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't think that was necessary. This was only but one comment, there were others. The question and comments I made were legitimate for someone not having owned one of these before.
I wasn't talking about you in particular. The "you're" in that statement was meant as to firearm owners in general. I was stating that it is possible to worry TOO much about reliability. I was simply offering another perspective which is what you get when you post a question on a forum.

The legitimacy of your question had nothing to do with my response. Your question is extremely legitimate and even more so because you did your own research first. Im sorry if you didn't like the answer you got.

Here is a simplified and uncaring response to your original post:

I don't think your polymer mags are going to be an issue. If you experience any malfunctions then contact HK.

Better?

Please try to remember that these conversatons are through typing and sarcasm is very hard to detect through written words. I did not mean to be condescending to you in any way. I only stated my opinion bluntly

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't lose confidence in your weapon system over a magazine! Mags can be fixed and made reliable. Otherwise... **** Can it or keep it in the range bag.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies DBLAction-It's been one of those weeks. Carpenter bees destroying my deck and fighting with them, cleaning and sealing the deck till 8:00 at night and getting up for work at 4:30am working 10 hour days...and a lot of etc's. I'm not really worried about this just was curious if anyone had any current issues. I don't forsee any. If Glock can make decent, reliable polymer mags, I feel sure German engineering can.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've never seen or experienced such an issue with any HK or GLOCK polymer mags.

I suppose it's a potential issue, contingent on a number of factors, but not one that would make me lose any confidence in the firearm.

There have been some similar issues with PMAGS as well, but also in this case, it's few and far between. The cover on the PMAGS help to keep the loaded ammo pressure from pushing on the mag lips.

You can always download a round or two, if it helps alleviate any concerns. It's also a good excuse to get more mags.

Keep in mind USP's and their components are considered overbuilt by quite a few guys in the know, Bruce Gray being one. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens with your own. So much stuff gets brought up on various forums, that we get all worked up over things that we'd never otherwise even consider an issue. Not that that is always a bad thing, but just something to consider.

You're being obsessed with your new HK venture. :) Go enjoy the damn thing!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess you and DBLAction are right about this. I haven't even been to the range with it yet and here I am being concerned over reading negative comments about the magazine. 1911's did this to me...they forever have given me cause for questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts