HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drank the Koolaid and now it's all over - another gun in less than 30 days! I am a rookie to guns and just took my first lesson about a month ago with an instructor. He was kind enough to let me shoot with a HK P30 9mm so to say I was spoiled from the get go would be an understatement.

Last week I purchased my very first gun - a HK USP .40 Compact and had a chance to shoot it last week putting about 200 rounds through it. It had a little more recoil than the 9mm but nothing major as I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 230 lbs so I was able to handle it. The only thought I could think of after shooting was my ammo bill is going to get expensive so I thought about the nice little P30 I first shot - women justify it in their heads all the time! So I visited my neighbor's shop the other day and walked out with my second gun a P30 9mm. I sent my brother a picture of the gun since he's been a cop 17 years and figured he might want to drool a little bit. All he can reply back was yea, but it's a 9mm..:-( Seriously!?!?

I picked up the phone and called his house and cell and no answer - I wanted to ask him when was the last time he was shot and felt a 9mm vs. a .40 - seriously!?!? Anyway, I didn't want to start that debate since I've read so much about it prior to my first purchase. He kind of rained on my parade with my second gun here but I'll get over it next week when I visit the range!

Can't wait to shoot this week and hopefully the little HK 45c will be gone from the counter - the next gun on my wish list..:690: or will it be the HK45..? New thread and discussion later..

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Congrats on owning 2 of the finest handguns! Unless your LGS prices are good, have you thought of buying them online and save on sales tax? Tax would be enough to buy your ammo. :wink:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Eh, get the full-size HK45. I never saw the point of buying compact guns unless you are concealed carrying. I used to have a SIG P229 .40 that I used for home defense but then I woke up when day when I realized I already had a P238 .380 for concealed carry and the P229 was annoyingly snappy on the recoil. Sold it last week and now I have a P220 .45 all-stainless on the way :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kabob for the input - I purchased the .40 compact for a conceal carry and my thought was to get the HK45 for the house. My wife purchase the Sig 238 which is a great gun too. I purchased the P30 9mm more for the range but my neighbor carries conceals it as his daily wear so I guess the point is it's good to have options and be comfortable with whatever you have.

How does the HK45 compare to the HK 40c as far as recoil?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You know, if I find one at one of the ranges I frequent, I'll rent it and let you know. I'm kind of curious, myself. The HK45 is not nearly as ubiquitous as the USP so I don't really see them much less get a chance to shoot them. As far as handguns go, I'm a SIG man through and through. I just prefer a hammer-fired, all-metal pistol. To generally address your recoil question, any longer barrel and slide pistol with more mass in the frame is going to shoot a bit more accurately with less felt recoil due to physics.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks Kabob for the input - I purchased the .40 compact for a conceal carry and my thought was to get the HK45 for the house. My wife purchase the Sig 238 which is a great gun too. I purchased the P30 9mm more for the range but my neighbor carries conceals it as his daily wear so I guess the point is it's good to have options and be comfortable with whatever you have.

How does the HK45 compare to the HK 40c as far as recoil?
The HK45 has less recoil than the USP Compact 40.
The 40 is a more snappy load.
The HK45 is a flatter shooting gun.

Don't get me wrong, I love my USP Compact 40.
But I tend to carry my HK45C much more than my USPC40.

Great choices on your HK45 and USPC40 purchases.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mattducati, those are the exact same shooting characteristic differences between my two SIGs and why I chose to sell the P229 and opt for the P220.

I want a Ducati. I still miss my Triumph, piece of crapola that bike was. I think I just miss riding, hah.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mattducati, those are the exact same shooting characteristic differences between my two SIGs and why I chose to sell the P229 and opt for the P220.

I want a Ducati. I still miss my Triumph, piece of crapola that bike was. I think I just miss riding, hah.
I only have one SIG at the moment, but its great. I have the P290 SC - This is the gun my wife keeps with her since it small and easy to shoot.
I loved my Ducati. I had a Ducati 916 but a mini van hit me head on back in 99 - didn't have a helmet on at the time. I don't ride anymore but still miss the experience.

Great choice on the guns you picked up.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Everestx, I bought a p2000sk, then a .45c , then a p30, then a mr.556, next a mark 23. Get the picture, you should see some of the collections on here, it never ends congrats and good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a feeling I'll have a few more before the year's over for sure - will have to sell some other toys to make room for the new ones.

I was buying ammo today for the new P30 and will hit the range tomorrow but just happened to start asking about shotguns so I'm branching out.

I'm thinking my next purchase will be the HK45 or .45c - just need to shoot both if possible.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I feel your pain... Bought my USP 40 then about a month later, found a sweet deal on a NIB Mark 23, so now its mine. I already have my eyes on a p2000sk that I'll use for my carry piece in 9mm, but I also like the look/feel of a p30, and a HK45 and... and...and...you see where this is going. Congrats on the guns!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the P30 to the range today and bear in mind this is the 3rd time I've ever shot a handgun. The gun just fits in your hands and shoots so smooth. Below are my first 30 shots with one stray which I think I remember shooting after reloading a new magazine - I took the first shot and the second shot tapped quickly so I have to remember next time to pay attention. I shot my .40c after the P30 and the recoil wasn't as noticeable this go around and actually shot it better. I didn't get to shoot the HK45 today but will get around to it soon.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Oh, I'm so proud. It's like watching me drink the kool-aid for the first time too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts