HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I had limited experience with long guns in my youth but had not shot a handgun until a friend purchased one and invited me to a target range. Well, that got me hooked and I researched and researched until I am fairly certain I will go with the P30 9mm or the P30L 40 S&W. I have not tried the 9mm and 40 S&W side by side but that will be on the next trip to the range (different brands but I want to feel the difference between the two, I had no problem with the 9mm, I just want to feel the recoil of the 40).

Like anyone new and excited I have a hundred questions but most I'll figure out rather quickly.
I am so new to semi-autos that I had to research a bit on the SA/DA stuff. I'm guessing my friend's weapon was one of these since I was surprised the first pull took some force.

If you cock the P30 before firing, will that make all of the trigger pulls consistent?
If you don't cock it does the first trigger pull also load the chamber?
I'm confused on the LEM option, first, can a civilian get it? Also, I'm not sure I quite get the explanation on H&Ks website just yet since I am so new. I guess what I'm looking for is a better understanding of the various trigger options.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the P30L in .40, V1, DA/SA and I really enjoy shooting it. There have been no problems/issues ever with this weapon and I bought it used, but in excellent condition. Since I haven't shot the LEM trigger, I'll just answer your question about the DA/SA trigger. The DA (double action) is going to be a stiff trigger pull (about 11#-13#). It won't feed a round into the chamber, or "load" it as you have asked. Basically, it just cocks the hammer and then fires it as the trigger is pulled all the way back. Once the weapon has fired, the slide will have been blown back and a new round is picked up from the magazine well and slapped into the chamber (if a loaded magazine is present). If the trigger has been held all the way back after the shot, a relatively short forward movement on the trigger (about 3/8") will allow it to be reset for the next shot, or the SA (single action) mode. This will have a much lighter draw (4.5# in my case), and will be much shorter if the trigger was not released fully to the forward position. Hope this answers part of your question. I'm sure others will jump in to do the rest.

If the chamber already has a round in it and the trigger has been cocked, the next pull (SA) will be the lighter pull and should be very consistent until the magazine is empty. It's taken me a little while to get used to the DA/SA trigger in my P30, as it is different than the Beretta & old PPK I have been shooting for years, but once you are familiar with it, you will like it! Welcome!

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
LEM kit is $80 and anyone can buy and put it in his gun, if he knows how to use a punch and is able to follow 5-6 pages of detailed instructions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. That and watching some videos helped clear it up for me. I basically did not have an understanding of how semi-autos worked so the variants confused me even more. I'm sure I would be happy with either the SA/DA or LEM variant that I'm sort of leaning towards.
My next point of confusion is the safety option. Again I'm getting confused on the internal safety features vs the external safety. Does the S version have added benefit?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The "S" version (my P30 is an LS) for the safety is just an ambidextrous safety. In other words, a left handed shooter can manipulate the safety the same way a right handed shooter can, it is on both sides, as is the slide release. This is truly a pistol which righty or lefty can use in exactly the same fashion. Both levers are identical on both sides of the weapon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks again,
Once my FOID card gets here I think I know which variant I'm getting. I live in IL with some of the worst gun laws. In the mean time:
Are there any sites/videos people would recommend for proper maintenence & cleaning, how often to light clean (after every trip to the range?) type info? Even recommendations on good cleaning supplies, bags, loaders (does the USA version get the magazine loader or is the UpLula (sp) worth it?). I will refresh by taking a Safety course (I know the basics but got stuck when my friends gun jammed - not an H&K) but are there any videos/sites on the web specific to H&K or what to do when the unexpected happens?
And, does anyone use the lanyard? Is that there for if you don't want it dropping out of a holster or what?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again thanks, your model with the LEM option is what I'm leaning towards. I'll post pictures when it gets here. Now to find one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, On the sights, I'm leaning towards the Heinie slant 8 style for many reasons.
I do have yet another annoying question. I have seen and read about here others that shoot low because of what I do. I want to see the target rather than fire when the tagret is blocked out. This is probably a natural reaction and instilled in me with my astronomy days. Are there sights that are different? In a real battle I don't care about a few inches, My range skills as a newbie were far better than my buddy's. I'm talking about at the range for fun, Is it something I just need to adjust to or are there sights that allow me that glimpse of the target before pulling?
I'm just used to seeing all around the target and centering with Astronomy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts