HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fill a specific holster need... I've got an SK, and want to carry IWB at about the 4 o'clock position, and I need it to sit low - almost flush with my belt line. Anything else sticks out and is pretty obvious.

I have a $10 holster that does okay, but it's flimsy and tends to move around. My CTAC came today, and it sits way too high, no matter how I adjust it. At all of the cants, the handle sticks out and prints way too much. It would be great it if sat down another 1.5 inches or so.

I'm 5'11" / 220lb / 36 waist... I'm a bigger guy, but not roll-over-my-pants fat. My pants sit a little below the waist.

So, what else should I look for?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take the CTAC leather pieces for the clips and swap them from side to side. This may not be the way they are suppose to go, but it will drop the holster alot. Give it a try and see what you think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm using a GALCO NSA II that fits securely and I haven't had any problems with printing. I'm about 5'11" 195 34 waist. The gun sticks up just enough to get my hand on the grip, if you want the grip to be tucked in under your belt line, I don't know what to tell you.

A lot of people dump on the idea of carrying in an ankle holster, but I figure having it less accessible is better than not having it at all. I had trouble finding one that wasn't a special order item, but I'm still considering getting one as a back up holster for when I can't carry IWB.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Maybe a tuckable IWB design, say from Galco, also may sit lower in the waistband because it's meant to allow your shirt to still tuck over it. Usually all that will be visible is a small black plastic clip. If I recall correct, you already have a P2000SK, the smallest HK you can carry.

I am about the same height, maybe an inch taller, and a bit more robust in size. I am able to use an IWB "summer special" design, most makers have their version of this rig that rides in the waistband secured by two belt loops snapped around your belt and I position my USP compact around the 4-5 o'clock position. Consider your normal attire may no longer make the grade when concealing a firearm. It is not unusual to need one size bigger in pants, and to move to the next shirt size up to hide your weapon well if both were a pretty close fit before putting on the gun. If you're printing, consider two things... the shirt first of all probably needs to be looser, and second you know you're wearing the gun and will be looking for it in the mirror, most sheepole (sheep like people - borrowing from C. Smith, I believe) aren't looking for it (unless they're CCW themselves, or cops) and likely won't notice. By comparison some other weapons I have hidden IWB are a full size 5" Springfield 1911, and in a belt slide "pancake" holster I wore my USP 45 (at home), now that's big, and was not exactly easy to see, what did show most was the barrel at the bottom of the shirt.

Coming up with what works is not always easy, it helps to know folks who have been down this road, spent the coin on various holsters, and have the formula figured out. It doesn't mean it will work for you, but you can get some ideas, I know you tried it, but the C-TAC is among the most popular CCW design here, and I'd second giving it another run. If not, it can be sold here quick and easy to get your cash back toward something else. You will likely wait for them, but Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen are some of the best for concealment rigs and gear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
II've got an SK, and want to carry IWB at about the 4 o'clock position,[...] My CTAC came today, and it sits way too high, no matter how I adjust it. At all of the cants, the handle sticks out and prints way too much.
You might look at other positions other than 4:00. Try 3:00 or 2:30 for example. Everyone is built differently, and some positions tuck things in nicely, others launch them outward.

-john

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I flipped the leather tabs around like jeep450 suggested, and that seems to have helped quite a bit. I can get it low enough now, but the tab on the handle side of the gun sits right against it. Tomorrow I'm going to get a piece of leather and see if I can make a tab that is slightly longer.

The other thing I need to order is a better belt. I think a more solid belt like a Beltman will hold it in closer to my side, and maybe help conceal it better.

I'll keep messing with this one over the weekend, and if not maybe look for one of the others suggested... thanks again everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts