HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got one of those "refurbished" (Geez, thanks for "fixing" it, guys.) German police P7M8 pistols with the mill mark. I was thinking of sending it off to Ford's to have them mill the right side of the slide and hard chrome it. But the more I researched their work, the more I wasn't that impressed with the final results. It looks like the font they use to recreate the markings isn't very close at all--and this subsequently prevents them from aligning the marks correctly. See the picture below from alpinetek's web site:

The mill mark in my slide is incredibly slight. Visibly obvious, but barely deep enough to detect by touch. See pic below:

So my idea is to mill a forward set of serrations in the slide to break up and disguise the mill mark and reblue it. This pistol will never be a show winner anyway. Might as well make it a tactical winner. What do you guys think of this Photoshop version?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
If it was mine, and that's the only font and size choice on the remarking, I'd consider just having all the lettering removed and not remark anything. It would be easy too, a few swipes on a surface grinder could remove the mill mark and just make the entire side smooth except for the rear serrations.

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1. Smooth slide would be much cheaper and still look really nice. When I spoke with Ford's, they told me it runs an extra $125 to put the serial number, date, and eagle back on a P7. To me that isn't worth the value since its not factory lettering anyways. I would either go smooth or serrations. If you pick serrations, it will be unique and potentially functional. Either way, I look forward to some pics. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts