HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out squirrel hunting with my buddy on Saturday (cold, snowing like mad, miserable) and didnt see anything. Went out Monday, seen 2 and was out ALL DAY, got 1. Went out yesterday, again ALL DAY and seen two, was able to shoot at one and missed.

I usually sit in a blind with my buddy overlooking parts of the woods we can get shots off in, it's still pretty thick up here near where I80 and I81 cross.

We tried calls, stalking, sitting for hours not moving, yet really don't see much... Now there are quad trails all over around here, think that may have something to do with it?

There's an abundance of oak trees and nests where we hunt too...

I read all the time about all these people getting so many and I just never see the little bastards in the woods as compared to my own backyard...

What gives?? Any tips, tricks, etc????

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I saw your post and just had to laugh. It is amazing how the little guys disappear when you're armed, but yet you can't seem to get rid of the bird-seed stealing rats in your own yard!

I'd just use a pellet gun and pick 'em off out of one of your house windows. I know it's not nearly as much fun as bagging one out in the woods, but at least they wouldn't be crapping all over your yard anymore.

If you have to take 'em from woods, look on the forest floor, see where the leaves have been scuffed up by foraging squirrels/chipmunks. Find a spot you can surveille the area downwind of where the most recent activity has been.

As a last resort, you could always just take a shotgun to the nests...not very sporting, messy, but effective...

Regardless, good luck. There's nothing like a day outdoors in the fall, even if it IS cold as a b!tch outside...

NoComp

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah how about it. Believe it or not, but I'm actually doing this becuase I love hunting. If i wanted to destroy my yard squirrels, I'd just put out a dish of antifreeze :)

It just pisses me off that I can see more squirrels dead on the side of the road and playing outside my office window in a few hours compared to hardly seeing any after being out in the woods over 33 hours in 3 days...

F-in tree rat bastards.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Ahhh, I see. You're actually hunting. Well then, please disregard my earlier statements on squirrel eradication. First question is, what are you hunting with? Shotgun, rifle, bow (I've hunted them with a bow before which is why I ask)? Second, could you provide me with a little more detail of the area you're hunting? Better yet, give me a name or something I can plug into GoogleEarth. Last question, what was the weather like on the days just BEFORE you went out? I'll dig around and see what I can come up for explanations (I happen to work in the Dept. of Biological Sciences at a college and know wildlife biologists I could consult...).

Either way, enjoy your time outside. I heard you guys got a bunch of snow last weekend, did it stick? It's dropped into the 20's up here (NH) at night, but still been pretty mild during the days. Have to enjoy it while it lasts I guess!

NoComp

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hunt in the Jeddo, PA area near where I81 and I80 cross. It's the coal region of the state, however I only hunt where there is large maple, oak and pine trees.

I hunt with a Savage 17HMR.

The weather, aside from last saturday, has been moderate. Warm and sunny most days. Days just before I go out are mainly sunny and cool or overcast. Now tomorrow it is supposed to rain, so we'll see about tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts