HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they first came out I bought both a UPS 9mm and USP 40. My recollection is that both were variant 1. I thought I had sold both of them a while back but apparently my USP 40 was left in my dad's safe as he asked me about it last week. Seeing as it's been sitting unused for 15+ years, are there any concerns around durability or worries about structural breakdown in that timeframe? I'll be getting it back in a week or so and will do full takedown and cleaning. just wondering if anything else before taking to the range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you bought one when they first came out, that would have been around 1993, so it's been closer to 30 years. Still, you really don't need to worry about anything. Just clean and oil it, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
is a close to 30 year unused usp safe to shoot? I would say so. I bought a 1994 usp 40 a couple year back and she shoots fine. If there is no rust or issue with the barrel, it should be safe to shoot. I did replace the recoil assembly to captured one as an upgrade.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it sits for a long time before shooting it just make sure you prime the oil pump for a bit before to make sure the oil reaches all moving parts first.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
When they first came out I bought both a UPS 9mm and USP 40. My recollection is that both were variant 1. I thought I had sold both of them a while back but apparently my USP 40 was left in my dad's safe as he asked me about it last week. Seeing as it's been sitting unused for 15+ years, are there any concerns around durability or worries about structural breakdown in that timeframe? I'll be getting it back in a week or so and will do full takedown and cleaning. just wondering if anything else before taking to the range.
Its a tank... go shoot it and report back to us!
Your USP is fine... just make sure there is nothing in the barrel.
M.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Check over, clean, oil and shoot the heck out of it. It’ll probably last longer than any of us.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
As you’re planning a clean and lube, you’ll solve the only potential issues (oil turning to varnish) that could pose any kind of issue. Good to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just clean and inspect it. Make sure you oil it properly and clean it again prior to storage.

This firearm (A Swiss M1900 Luger) is from 1908 and works perfectly:

This Swiss M1882 revolver is not quite that old:

·
Registered
276 Posts
It’ll be fine. I will say I have a gun that I lubed with froglube once and it sat in the safe for a year. The froglube was gummed up pretty badly, but it only took about 10 minutes to wipe it all off with clp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What a funny thing to not that i discourage you from learning. Well nothing a little oiling and cleaning wouldn't put back in shape.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, the main concern is that this gun needs some love. Sitting around in a safe isn't going to hurt it at all. Take it shooting, carry it, eat breakfast with it. Take it somewhere special with you.
The park...Take it to the park. Or maybe a Bass Proshop or Cabelas, they love it there as long as you stay away from the Gun Library.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Standard gun safety applies, clean, oil and go shooting. You should be fine. However, If still in doubt, you may want to have a gun smith look at it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow, what an amazing time capsule that has held its value!

I'm in agreement with the majority here, clean it with good lube (I use a quality synthetic motor oil, since it's common, cheap, and used on $50,000 engines) and inspect it thoroughly. A safe queen not subject to any abuse will last many human life times. Folks are shooting polymer guns from the 1970s without reported problems. The polymer seems to hold up for many many decades of actual use. And the metal will last centuries in a climate controlled non hostile environment. The same is probably true of the polymers employed.

Enjoy the found treasure!

·
Banned
21 Posts
There's nothing adequate oiling and cleaning can't fix. Make sure you oil it properly and you're good to go.
Let us know how that goes. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts