HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks all. Appreciate it. Will report back once I get it back in my hands to do full cleaning on it. Looking forward to shooting it once I find some decent price 40S&W ammo.

·
HKPRO Professional
249 Posts
Seems like everybody and his brother has invented a new and far superior firearms lubricant in the last 20 years.
Problem is, many of those aren't compatible with the others. Mix them and age the concoction, and you get putty.
Just in case your Dad used lubes that over the years didn't agree with lubes you applied, I'd tear her down and scrub it well with mineral spirits. Be especially careful to clean out any that was applied in the bore and dry the bore thoroughly.
Then re-lube by the book.
Don't forget to check operation of the firing pin block and other safety features and run the factory recommended operational check.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks all. Appreciate it. Will report back once I get it back in my hands to do full cleaning on it. Looking forward to shooting it once I find some decent price 40S&W ammo.
Ha haha-----"finding some decent price .40 S&W ammo"-----that's probably going to be the major challenge which you face!

Good advice from all the posters. The thing is, polymer framed handguns last a LONG time------sure, possibly not as long as steel or stainless steel-----but quite durable nevertheless. Keep polymer away from sunlight when not in use (sunlight degrades the polymer linkages) and of course, solvents such as acetone.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,856 Posts
When they first came out I bought both a UPS 9mm and USP 40. My recollection is that both were variant 1. I thought I had sold both of them a while back but apparently my USP 40 was left in my dad's safe as he asked me about it last week. Seeing as it's been sitting unused for 15+ years, are there any concerns around durability or worries about structural breakdown in that timeframe? I'll be getting it back in a week or so and will do full takedown and cleaning. just wondering if anything else before taking to the range.
They aren't bananas. Shoot them. Not so for P9S or HK4. But otherwise, blast away.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
It's a USP, dunk it in a mud puddle, pour some sand on it, freeze it, and let a GSD chew on it before firing....It will go bang every time! I carried on for 11 years as a Duty weapon, the USP is near indestructible.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts