HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Never owned an HK pistol, but I've been collecting for over 20 years. I recently bought a police trade-in USP 45 to join the other .45s; a P220, G21, and SA 1911A1 SS Loaded and had a few questions. I've been searching this site for info. on maintenance, already downloaded a couple of manuals off the net, and will continue to search, but thought I'd ask questions in case someone feels like answering.

I've read that KF=1995 and that '95 pistols incorporate the "improved" recoil assembly, polygonal barrel, and maybe trigger. How can I tell whether the one I bought -- as of yet in hands -- has the improved trigger or not, and if not, then can the "old trigger" be upgraded or improved upon?

The pistol looks to be in Very Good condition with some scuffing on the right side, lower, grip, most likely from holstering. Since the rest looks very nice, I may attempt to touch up the plastic with some sandpaper even though it'll be a range gun. Then again, I may just leave it as is, don't know. If you've successfully fixed scuffs, I wouldn't mind hearing about the method you used. I'm referring to the smooth texture around the pebbled grips, not the color.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
854 Posts
my suggestion is to contact Cylinder and Slide in Fremont NE...Google It...they do excellent work there and they can tell you whats what pricing etc--

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes, I am familiar with C&S' work on Browning Hi-Powers but wasn't aware they worked on USPs, and many other pistols, until I checked their site earlier today. Thanks

How can I tell whether the one I bought -- as of yet in hands -- has the improved trigger or not, and if not, then can the "old trigger" be upgraded or improved upon?

Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would forward that info to those gents at C&S...they will probably be your best surefire approach at no-nonsense answers as to what to look for (unless a fellow HK owner knows that is!)

Have you tried emailing HK directly to see if there is a specific set of telltale signs? Keep us posted!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I haven't received the pistol, so I wouldn't be able to answer any questions regarding the identification of parts. I'm trying to get a headstart in order to procure parts, etc. If at all possible, I rather replace the parts myself since the pistol is used and was inexpensive. C&S, and many shops, do superb work, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the best candidate for throwing money at. Since it's used, the trigger will likely be worn in and maybe even nice, but if I can improve on it in a cost effective way, then I just may try. Thanks

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I have a KF date code (first year for USP .45) Fullsize USP .45, its amazing. The firing pin/firing pin stop was redesigned in 2004 to withstand high volume of dry fire, but if one dry fires, use snap caps and you should be fine. S/A breaks at 4.5 lbs. or less on mine.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Since it's used, the trigger will likely be worn in and maybe even nice, but if I can improve on it in a cost effective way, then I just may try.
The USP match trigger kit would be the best bang for your buck. It's $130, but out of stock at Hkparts.net. Still, sign up for updates on the kit so you can grab one up when they come in. You could also try perusing the parts classifieds on here.....there might be one laying around for sale.

That's if you want a DA/SA trigger, though. If you'd like the ultimate LEM trigger, then there's the USP hybrid match/LEM trigger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info.! I'm pretty sure I'll want to leave the standard double action (SA/DA) trigger, and am very happy to find out that even though it's an early gun, that it'll accept updated parts. I'll research the other trigger options.

I'll also use snap caps, but is it common for the firing pin to break and/or should I consider buying a spare or two, or maybe even the upgraded firing pin and stop (assuming they'll drop into the KF slide)?

Thanks again; looking forward to giving her a good cleaning, figuring out how everything works, and sending some lead downrange!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'll also use snap caps, but is it common for the firing pin to break and/or should I consider buying a spare or two, or maybe even the upgraded firing pin and stop (assuming they'll drop into the KF slide)?
Only if you do a lot of dryfire, such as regular dryfire practice regimens (think in the thousands of repetitions).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roger that. I dry fire, but not that much. Would you happen to know if the upgraded FP/stop fit the older slide?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The upgraded parts fit all slides. Virgil Tripp upgraded mine with hard chrome, when he did the top end of the USP .45. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have only had my KF 45 V1 for around a week and so far all i have found out is the SA trigger pull is a little hard to get use to if you are use to shooting glocks and 1911s.
on the OP's question on how to tell a old from a newer trigger i would also like to know

if you do sand the frame you may want to soak it in rit dye afterwards to get a more uniform color like glock guys do after rounding their trigger guards or grip reductions

kost, good info on the upgrade firing pin stop setup fitting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts