HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like something OWB for my USP 45. Since I prefer a leather open top design, I'm looking at the Galco Combat Master. I see that it looks a lot like their Concealed Carry model -- so much like it, I wonder what the difference is. I know the CM is flat on the body side and molded on the outside. Is this the difference...?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience --

·
Registered
402 Posts
broknprism,

Here's my experience.

I have two Galco Concealed Carry holsters. I ordered the second, and tried to cancel it, but too late. It ended up being shipped to a friends house that I was meeting up with to take a class ..long story...oh well, that's not the point.

The point is if you're trying to conceal, I think the Concealed Carry stinks. If you're just out for training and don't care it's not your carry holster, it's great. Nice rake and such for quick action. However, my experience with a UPSc and SK is that it points the arse-end of the slide too far forward and that's what prints in anything but the loosest of dark shirts. OK for under coat wear though, because it's pretty fast. It also isn't the flattest of holsters, so you stick out about 1.8" or so. BTW, I keep forgetting a protractor at Target, but simple measurements show the rake to be almost 30 degrees forward!!! You could almost make it an SOB holster.

I bought a Combat Master because I found one cheap whilst living in DFW last year. Cheap as in 50 bucks. I don't carry with it...YET...its flat, has a 15 degree rake, and seems to release well. However, it's long, so you may stick out with it (literally). I haven't analyzed how much it sticks out in the "muffin top" direction, just the length. It's truly a long holster, but I think it's better for concealed than the Concealed Carry.

I'd look for a 15 degree rake myself. And...if the line wasn't so long for a Del Fatti, I'd go with a between the belt and pants holster. Other than Matt, I can't think of the one other maker that has BBaP holsters.

Just my 0.02..hope it helps.

Just thought of the other guy. Mitch Rosen has BBaP holsters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the review. In the Galco website photos, they do look long and low.

I did some more thinking and realized I wanted this for non-concealed carry -- I carry a USP40 in a Blackhawk IWB holster and except for taking up the slack in my Levi's, it feels great. I need another inch of waistband.

Anyway, for outdoor carry of the USP45, I think I'll go with a favorite -- the Dual Position Phoenix. Retention is good for climbing and hiking, and it's OK if it sits off the body. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't have experience with that particular model but I have had a few of their holsters. Quality wise, they are good but I still wouldn't pay retail for them. I've tried their Royal Guard which is pretty good, and their NSAII, which I didn't like probably because I didn't have a decent belt at the time. I currently only have a OWB paddle holster that is unused for a USPc. I'll probably be selling that off because I don't plan on holstering the new stainless compact USP that I bought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems they don't make the Dual Phoenix for the USP. But they make a purse. ; )

Next stop is probably the Bianchi 7001, a molded nylon thumbreak hip holster without all the pancake baggage. Cheap, too.

O

·
0 Posts
I too had problem with the combat master being too long.
I settled on the Don Hume H721 O.T. it carries a little higher and much tighter than either of the galco holster.
For me anyway.

Good luck in you search.

BTW i carry a uspf45

1 - 6 of 6 Posts