HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys (and ladies), i really hope that i get some replies on this....

Currently, I am a college student and my roommate is becoming one hell of a welder and excels in many forms of metalwork (blacksmithing, stainless steel, aluminum, gas line).

I mentioned that we should start offering a service to people who want hi-cap HK mags. He said it would be a piece of cake and is interested to see what people think. I figured what better a place to get some opinions? So here are my questions:

1) Who would be interested in buying/paying for 2 USPc or HK45c mags (maybe more variants) to be welded together? It would be done right, and you would be helping 2 co llege students raise money and start up a welding business.

2) What price would you pay for this service? Either sending multiple mags to be welded, or perhaps just buying the finished product.

I hope that Big Bore and others might comment on this because i know he had luck with this. I have read a couple of threads in regards to this and showed my roommate and he said, "thats awesome but i could do it cleaner." (no offense intended). If there is some interest, I will create a thread dedicated to "advertising" and explaining our process for making the mags by showing how we make them. Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Definitely interested. Something I have wished was on the market for a while. Not trying to be a **** but most of us don't know you or your room mate personally. It is difficult at least for me to have as much faith as would be required in your room mates skills. My advice would be get together some well documented prototypes. Photos, videos, etc.... Then I think more people would be willing to talk dollars and cents.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Two 45 cal HK mags would cost $100+ just by themselves. Plus you’d need a longer spring. Plus your time. Plus shipping. It would be a heck of an investment just for the materials. I think a lot of people would want a 12+ round HK45 or HK45c mag, but the cost would be very high.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally agree. However, the metal mag casings can be purchased separately and with that in mind it wouldnt be too hard to just ship out the welded mag casings and a spring...

I completely understand that we need to build up a good rep, we intend to. Just wanted to see what people would pay, assuming they were impressed. Thanks guys for replying.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
So does that mean buyer will have to pony money to buy the followers and floor plates after purchasing your mags to make them complete? I know I wouldn't.

Where do you plan to source the mag casings? HKParts? HKCS? The reason I ask because while HKCS's price is much better than HKParts but when you order 10 or 20 casings from HKCS, they will not sell them to you. Ask me how I know. If you order from HKParts, your cost is going to be much higher, which makes your mag price higher.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Love the enthusiasm, but it is not cost effective for anyone involved, as others have said. Move on to find another money making scheme.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Shame, the idea sounds great.

I think that if you could show pictures for the finished product, prove reliability over the promag, and get cost and shipping down below the cost of two standard mags, then I think more people would jump on your idea.

Good luck to you guys.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
These are " compact " pistols usually meant to be carried concealed , more than 8 rds ....... I've got a 20 rd Promag that I have used on my fullsize USP 45's , it's a piece of junk . You pay the shipping and you can have it . I hope you and your roommate aren't planning on setting up shop in your dorm room ,welding & grinding is very dirty . Good luck with your new venture !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Still might be cheaper to learn to work sheet metal, stamping, folding, welding, then make mags from scratch, then avoid HK patents or pay for licensing/etc.

If a larger company with the resources to make it for cheap have not done so, it is possible their market research indicates an insufficient customer base to be profitable.

Small scale projects like this are not something you do with profit in mind, you do it for the enthusiasm, exploration, and experience value.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
In response........

First off, thanks! I did not expect the amount of replies so I will try to reply to everyone as well as i can....

So does that mean buyer will have to pony money to buy the followers and floor plates after purchasing your mags to make them complete? I know I wouldn't.

Where do you plan to source the mag casings? HKParts? HKCS? The reason I ask because while HKCS's price is much better than HKParts but when you order 10 or 20 casings from HKCS, they will not sell them to you. Ask me how I know. If you order from HKParts, your cost is going to be much higher, which makes your mag price higher.

Just my 2 cents.
I absolutely agree with you. One idea I had was, (because switching out floor plates/springs on mags is easy) I thought it might not be a terrible idea to just send out just the welded mag casings. That way, the buyer could end up saving the money that it would cost to include the other parts of the magazine. I can't imagine that these mags (maybe I'm wrong about this) would be anything other than a novelty or cool addition to a collection. If someone really did find that they wanted to carry with these mags, which would be kind of awkward due to size, then ordering a floor plate and other mag parts could ensue. Thank you for the tip about the stores.
plus how would you source proper springs that would work?? Promag already makes a 20rd. 45 USP mag and it has issues.
can't imagine a home made one would be any different. sorry to rain on your parade, great idea while not practical.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/range-report/60100-promag-20rd-mag.html
In regards to springs, BigBore claims that he has had zero issues with his extended mags that he paid someone to create. If i remember correctly, he used STI 170mm springs for his USP mags. He chose the spring based on the ratio of magazine to spring length. It is my assumption that erring on the side of a little extra spring tension rather than less would produce a more reliable result. I am no expert, just trying to go for a cool side project knowing full well that the welding part of this task will be more than adequate.

That was his original idea but post #3 changed his thinking. I think.
Actually, I am merely exploring different avenues. Brainstorming. I think once I create a prototype and prove that we can do this elegantly and effectively, I will then ask for more formal requests for ordering. Depending on how people want to do it will guide how we go about selling them. Frankly, I think it would be awesome (but least cost effective) to send out the mags fully assembled.

Shame, the idea sounds great.

I think that if you could show pictures for the finished product, prove reliability over the promag, and get cost and shipping down below the cost of two standard mags, then I think more people would jump on your idea.

Good luck to you guys.
Thanks for the support. I hope that this plan can provide more than just novelty mags too. We'll see.

These are " compact " pistols usually meant to be carried concealed , more than 8 rds ....... I've got a 20 rd Promag that I have used on my fullsize USP 45's , it's a piece of junk . You pay the shipping and you can have it . I hope you and your roommate aren't planning on setting up shop in your dorm room ,welding & grinding is very dirty . Good luck with your new venture !
Sorry to hear your story about promags and I've heard it before. Kind of what sparked my motivation to attempt this. As far as the shop goes (haha). No, we have a 20x30 garage and he is fully set up with top of the line tigs and gear. What an awesome image tho of a dorm room weld shop!

Extended mags don't always work out. You'd be selling an untested product.
True. But that's what prototypes are for! I just wanted to see if there was any interest before I go down this road. It sounds like there is.

Still might be cheaper to learn to work sheet metal, stamping, folding, welding, then make mags from scratch, then avoid HK patents or pay for licensing/etc.

If a larger company with the resources to make it for cheap have not done so, it is possible their market research indicates an insufficient customer base to be profitable.

Small scale projects like this are not something you do with profit in mind, you do it for the enthusiasm, exploration, and experience value.
Very true. It will likely not be more than a few mags anyway. If we can build some strong connections with some folks on here who knows what other kinds of work folks might want us to help them with. We both love guns. We both love the gun crowd, culture, and community. Hopefully, we are just getting our feet wet. we are indeed doing this without, "profit in mind, we do it for the enthusiasm, exploration, and experience value."

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I have been involved in the Metal Fabrication for business for almost 30 years . What type of steel do you think you are going to be using ? Do you understand how to generate a flat layout for the sheet metal ? How about the bend allowance ? Which style or press brake are you going to be forming on ? Are you going to coin it or air bend it ? Are you going to be using a laser or a turret to make the flat ? These questions go on and on ........Make good grades and buy a Fabrication business , second thought , save your money .

This is a one of the best gotcha's I've seen in a while .....LOl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been involved in the Metal Fabrication for business for almost 30 years . What type of steel do you think you are going to be using ? Do you understand how to generate a flat layout for the sheet metal ? How about the bend allowance ? Which style or press brake are you going to be forming on ? Are you going to coin it or air bend it ? Are you going to be using a laser or a turret to make the flat ? These questions go on and on ........Make good grades and buy a Fabrication business , second thought , save your money .

This is a one of the best gotcha's I've seen in a while .....LOl
You are aware that I am in no way even suggesting anything in regards to metal fabrication correct? I just want to make sure that you read the original post which only talks about welding.........

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Just welding huh ? Hmm ....

Is this what you're thinking about ? If you think it's just about welding , you have 2 chances , slim and none , and slim is on the way to class .

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just welding huh ? Hmm ....

Is this what you're thinking about ? If you think it's just about welding , you have 2 chances , slim and none , and slim is on the way to class .

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you trying to dissuade me from offering my time and services to others? I am hesitant to assume that you are not contributing but instead attempting to hijack someones thread and make them look stupid. If you are not intending to do that then my apologies. If you are, then please leave.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I am the one to apologize to you if you are sincere in your post , and now I think you are. I'm not going to debate your friends welding skills. My point is that there is more to joining two pieces of metal than just welding . Find a good fabricator in your area and find out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts