HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the MP5 will always be top. But, the UMP does have some useful and unique feature. I saw some pics of the Philippine police using the UMP in small number. But, I rarely see them in action. I wonder, are there any LE or Special Force out there using the UMP guns? Is the UMP popular in the US?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I worked closely with one county sheriff's office team that used .45 UMP's. I ran several entries and drills with one, and it was OK. I prefer the ergonomics of the MP5 over the UMP. I didn't have any issues or problems with the mechanics of weapon, although it didn't feel "right" when shooting it, either semi or auto. I may be prejudicial to the MP5 family, but I compare the two as the differnce between a Rolex and a Timex.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Polish Police bought some UMP9s in 2005 and this year more , but only for special (tactical) units. They use EOTechs and Sure-Fire M951XM lights with them. They use them alongside MP5A3s purchased earlier.
I wonder how many German SEKs uses UMP and if other police services i.e patrol use them.

Robal2pl

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know the MP5 will always be top. But, the UMP does have some useful and unique feature. I saw some pics of the Philippine police using the UMP in small number. But, I rarely see them in action. I wonder, are there any LE or Special Force out there using the UMP guns? Is the UMP popular in the US?

What do you consider useful features?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Our department phased out the MP5s several years ago. The guys on SWAT tried out several potential replacements, including the UMPs, FN P90, ARs, and even the TAVOR.

One of the retired rangemasters said the TAVOR was impressive. A rep from TAVOR poured a whole bunch of dirt/sand into the action, picked it up, chambered a round and went to town (wow, I think I made a rhyme).

The guys who tried the UMPs did not like the feel of the gun compared to the MP5s, granted the MP5 was what they were familiar with. The dept. (SWAT)ended up with M4s and shorty commandos (Colt). They really wanted HK53s but it was not in the budget.

The only thing the UMP has over the 90 series MP5s and 53 is the bolt lock and accessory rail. The only thing I'd put on the MP5 or 53 is a Surefire forearm light, sling, and possibly a red dot scope.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our dept has both in 40 s&w. The guys who use each, love them both and are partial to that particular weapon they use. They also have G36's and LRS2 rifles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For me PERSONALLY I'd qualify useful UMP features as the last round bolt hold open/release, integral rail system ect. But thats just me :D
I guess your comparing it to the MP5. I thought it had some feature you find better over all other rifles/carbines.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah I was (I thought everyone else was too :D) In that department no I dont think it has any distinct advantages.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there real difference beetween those calibres? They're all considered as "pistol" one. Stronger ammo is good when it comes to shooting on greater distances, when bad guys wear heavy ballistic vests tec. But then differences beetwen those 3 calibres are not singnificant IMHO, so much stronger ammo is better (5,56x45) or maybe 5,7 or 4,6.
Rails can be pun on every carbine or SMG, MP5 too...

Regards,
Robal2pl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts