HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a magazine problem in any of my HK's, but they are all carry guns so I try to make them as impervious to malfunctions as possible...with HK that entails cleaning it...and thats about it, but their magazines seem to be the achilles heel. I have heard many of you change out your factory mags to wolf springs when you get them. My two questions are: 1. has anyone ever had a failure with wolff springs? 2. How often do you change out your wolff mag springs?

Just curious. I usually go by the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" rule...but with so many swearing by wolff it has me thinking about upgrading.

·
Registered
802 Posts
For range guns, if it ain't broke, don't fix it rule is fine.
For carry or duty guns, if it breaks, you are f-ed. Carry guns should always have springs replaced on a regular basis especially if you are constantly loading and unloading the mags or shooting them. The last thing you need is to have a $10 spring fail when you most needed because you were too cheap to replace one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I'm somewhere over 100k rounds and the springs in my 10 rounders finally gave out. We stretched them a bit to make it through the week of shooting but alas two of the three mags are just all together worn out. I'll keep them aroung though as nothing makes better malfunction practice than a crappy magazine. I was shooting plates yesterday and got a pretty serious malfunction where I ended up having to strip the mag, jack the slide and put a new mag in. I still won the round which had me pretty stoked. In the final round I was shooting against the instructor with his Glock. As luck would have it, his gun had a slight malfunction and I won. Winning was totally sweet because for one, I beat the instructor and two, got to shoot a full-auto MP5!!!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I see no reason to. A mag spring, even HKs, is not just going to break. That is not what happens to them. They start getting weak and the first sign is the slide does not lock back. If you are counting your shots like you should you do not shoot your mag dry anyway so it not locking back is not a life and death situation. Then you replace the springs. I have over 11K through my most used HK pistol and I have yet to need to replace any mag springs (except on my silly extra-high-cap conversions) so I am of the mind on this if it ain't broken don't fix it. Of course it won't hurt anything to replace them but I don't see the need. While HK does have bad springs most are perfectly fine, and those that are bad usually fail right away, so if they don't they may never need replacing.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm torn somewhere between Scooter and Big Bore on this issue. I have never had an issued with my Hk mag's, but I have had problems with other handgun mag's (in my duty gun). So I am inclinded to buy Wolff springs, but this is based on my experience with another German Handgun manufacture, not HK? The springs are cheap, if they make you feel more comfortable with your carry gun, then I would say buy them...

good luck..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a hard time understanding why magazines that cost over $50.00 apiece should have any issues at all. There is no excuse for the factory springs needing to be swapped for an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a hard time understanding why magazines that cost over $50.00 apiece should have any issues at all. There is no excuse for the factory springs needing to be swapped for an aftermarket product.
You are preaching to the choir. I personally havent had any issues yet, but I do wonder what that $50.00 is going towards if they are using cheap springs. I definitely got sticker shock with mags when I first switched to Hk.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, I'm somewhere over 100k rounds and the springs in my 10 rounders finally gave out. We stretched them a bit to make it through the week of shooting but alas two of the three mags are just all together worn out. I'll keep them aroung though as nothing makes better malfunction practice than a crappy magazine. I was shooting plates yesterday and got a pretty serious malfunction where I ended up having to strip the mag, jack the slide and put a new mag in. I still won the round which had me pretty stoked. In the final round I was shooting against the instructor with his Glock. As luck would have it, his gun had a slight malfunction and I won. Winning was totally sweet because for one, I beat the instructor and two, got to shoot a full-auto MP5!!!
How is the gun holding up after 100K rounds? Any part failures?

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, no part failures other than recoil and hammer spring replacements. The gun shoots and looks fine. The only problems so far are with the magazines and those only cropped up here in the last thousand or so rounds. I'll be buying three replacement high caps from CDNN here shortly. I also am planning on sending the gun into HK for a serious cleaning and inspection. I figure it will be well worth the money it will cost.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I've got about 8K through a dozen or so USPc .45 magazines, with nary an issue.

That said, there have been too many complaints about this specific magazine to dismiss it as operator headspace and timing.

THAT said, I carry mine daily. I have complete confidence in the system; which is why I still have the OEM springs.

As others have said, its a relatively inexpensive "upgrade". If you're worried about it, buy the Wolff springs.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No, no part failures other than recoil and hammer spring replacements. The gun shoots and looks fine. The only problems so far are with the magazines and those only cropped up here in the last thousand or so rounds. I'll be buying three replacement high caps from CDNN here shortly. I also am planning on sending the gun into HK for a serious cleaning and inspection. I figure it will be well worth the money it will cost.
After 100,000 rounds definitely sounds like your got your money out of it already...I hadnt dreamed of any of my guns lasting that long. If you bought the gun for $700.00 100k rounds works out to be about $.007 per round.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That sounds pretty impressive. What gun/caliber are we tallking about?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Actually I bought it for $660. If I would have waited a few months I could have picked it up for $600. It's a USP (full sized) 45. Yes, I did wait for the slide to start not locking back before I worried about the mags. Being that I didn't have time to order any more mags or springs when they started messing up I just stretched the springs out. It helped but then other mag problems started rearing their heads because I think they were stretched a bit too much. Alas, this is still the best darn pistol for the money. Sure, I could buy a fancy 1911 and maybe it would be a bit more accurate but I'm not thinking any amount of money would make it last like this little plastic tank has.

And for those who wonder how I got that many rounds down the tube. Well, in the Navy it was a good alternative to drinking. I'd seen way too many of my friends waste all their time and money on alcohol so I took a different route. I also reload so it was pretty affordable.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
50ae - congrats on your win this week too - outstanding shooting! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any given day though you know. At first I was quite worried because he had his revolver on his hip. He is quite amazing with his sturdy old model 10 S&W but when I saw somebody hand him a Glock I was able to breath a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts