HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to look into getting a sear and the law is a little mucky regarding machine guns in wisconsin. This is an older post from a different board, but sums up the issue:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=229149

Basically the law says you cannot own an MG but the exceptions include all machine guns that have not been adapted to shoot pistol cartridges "for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive"

Full text:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941/III/26/5

"This section does not prohibit or interfere with the manufacture for, and sale of" ... "or the possession of a machine gun other than one adapted to use pistol cartridges for a purpose manifestly not aggressive or offensive."

Have any WI members gone through the MG transfer process? Assuming CLEO signoff is typically the area where people would have issues? I cant remember if a trust skirts the CLEO requirement as it does with other NFA items but would be interested to hear anyone's experience with this

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes Chune is 100% correct in what he says about owning a machine gun in Wisconsin.
However State Law also says that a person must be "authorized" to possess a machine gun.
The authorization must come from a police chief or sheriff in Wisconsin. So what we use is as follows:
Keep the original letter and send a nice color copy to ATF along with your transfer form each time you buy a machine gun.

March 4, 2017

To Whom It May Concern,

My department has completed a background check on (your name) and I have found no reason why he should not be authorized to possess machine guns in Wisconsin for lawful purposes.

Therefor, pursuant to 941.26 of Wisconsin Statues, (your name) is authorized to possess machine guns and submachines for all lawful purposes in the State of Wisconsin.

Sincerely,

Name Here
Sheriff or Police Chief of Any County or City in Wisconsin

·
Registered
371 Posts
here in Waukesha, WI

the trick is to get a generic letter...no make/model of gun on it...this way you can photo copy it and use it forever...im told even when the sheriff is out of office 20 years later this letter still works...i used to have to go for each gun to my sheriff and bother with the process....the last time i got a generic one and ive been GTG from that point on

ive been told that many form 4's make it through w/o the law letter...that only a few inspectors are anal about it.....ive had one inspector which made me put the statute in the place where youd normally put ''for all lawfull purposes''...so now i use that statute too....my first few had some kick backs....no longer....they all pass right through now

i had attempted to get my local police chief to sign off....he made me go to a city board meeting trying to get the councils approval before he would do it (what a puss)...they had a liberal member who said i could own claymore mines if he allowed the chief to sign off...the chief stood up and said he didnt need their approval....nothing came of it....i stuck with the county sheriff who has to do a home evaluation yearly to give you the law letter (hence the reason to get a generic one vs having a detective come over to make sure you have doors, windows and a gun safe)

i know someone from the Madison area had a problem finding someone to sign off...each area has their own guy to hit up....your gun dealer should be the one to talk to on this subject.they will know who signs off in your area

PM me if you have any detailed questions.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Note to rickj1nd just look up 941.26 of Wisconsin Statues. ATF usually accepted the old form 4 with the CLEO signature.
There is now no place for the CLEO to sign on the form 4. So if you have possession of a machine gun on the new form 4
with no CLEO signature you can be charged with unauthorized possession. FWIW your mileage may vary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.