HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Suggestions on a Cheap Tactical Light for USP?

I'm looking to spend under $100 with mount. Also with a on-light switch (no wires).

I know the surefire lights are good, but several hundred dollars for a flashlight is a bit excessive for my needs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Streamlight TLR-1 might be a good choice. I do not have one but I do have a Surefire x-200a...

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can find a used Insight M2 for pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open, but probably around your price range.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can go to www.gtdist.com. I was up there two weeks ago and the had a few used M2's for 49.99. They all worked, they were, well, just used.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm still not sure why people want to put a target point on themselves that will be right in front of their face and draw the fire of every BG in range.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I'm still not sure why people want to put a target point on themselves that will be right in front of their face and draw the fire of every BG in range.
If you're going to go there the gun itself is a target then but not as prodominate but if your running a stainless thats a diff story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 amstaffHK. From personal experience a weapon mounted light is more practical than one held in the hand or none at all. The reason, you always look where you point your weapon, with a light held in the hand you can wind up turning away from the direction your weapon is pointed. Also if by some miraculous reason the BG happens to be in front of you, you can blind the crap out of him. I like the way the M2 looks, but it is dated as most weapon mounted lights are now LED and quite a bit brighter. But my M2 has been on my Tactical 45 for so long, I'm used to it. Stay away fron the Surefire's, you pay double for the same performance as the TLR 1 or 2. The TLR 3 looks interesting.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Even if it's turned off the lens can throw a massive glare if it gets caught in the sunlight or if someone with NVG's shines you with an IR source (or it glints off a street light, or whatever else). If you're in some kind of defensive position that can obviously ruin your tactical surprise and get you killed.

Lights seem to me like they're best for use against things that don't shoot back. Like Zombies. :D
Or 4 legged critters.

If you want a light just for navigation, a green laser is actually plenty for that. It also won't whack your night vision either. And a green laser will blind a BG completely if you shine him in the face with it. Seriously.

A laser aperature is also much smaller and therefore far less likely to catch and reflect light when it's not in use.

I have a $100 green laser on my AR that IMO makes a flashlight totally unnecessary while at the same time having very few of the flashlight's drawbacks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Duct tape and a mini maglite will run ya about 15 bucks ;)
I have the UTL on my Tactical 45 - I do wish it were LED as I like the brightness of my LED light on my G36 though.
You can find a used UTL for around $100

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd say inexpensive is not the route you want to go, cheap doesn't necessarily work in tactical situations. I think a used Insight M2 would be a good find and would serve you well.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
+1 amstaffHK. From personal experience a weapon mounted light is more practical than one held in the hand or none at all. The reason, you always look where you point your weapon, with a light held in the hand you can wind up turning away from the direction your weapon is pointed. Also if by some miraculous reason the BG happens to be in front of you, you can blind the crap out of him. I like the way the M2 looks, but it is dated as most weapon mounted lights are now LED and quite a bit brighter. But my M2 has been on my Tactical 45 for so long, I'm used to it. Stay away fron the Surefire's, you pay double for the same performance as the TLR 1 or 2. The TLR 3 looks interesting.
+1 Ripper.. I like my M2 also and I don't see for any need to go brighter, too much light is or can be a bad thing. I stay away from it if its at all possible. And I concur weapon mounted light systems are much more practical it's a no brainer :p

I also like the looks of the TLR 3 but that will have to wait until i purchase yet another HK! >:D

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Even if it's turned off the lens can throw a massive glare if it gets caught in the sunlight or if someone with NVG's shines you with an IR source (or it glints off a street light, or whatever else). If you're in some kind of defensive position that can obviously ruin your tactical surprise and get you killed.

Lights seem to me like they're best for use against things that don't shoot back. Like Zombies. :D
Or 4 legged critters.

If you want a light just for navigation, a green laser is actually plenty for that. It also won't whack your night vision either. And a green laser will blind a BG completely if you shine him in the face with it. Seriously.

A laser aperature is also much smaller and therefore far less likely to catch and reflect light when it's not in use.

I have a $100 green laser on my AR that IMO makes a flashlight totally unnecessary while at the same time having very few of the flashlight's drawbacks.
I can make the same comparision with scope mounted rifles. Those lenses are highly refelctive but you dont see it stopping anyone from using them. This is all fixed by simply putting lens covers on if you're worried about it. It's just another tool in the toolbox.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Actually we developed very long sun shades to stop this from happening, as well as refractive honeycomb lens attachments. We very much were worried about it.
Scope glint can get you dead in an instant.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
very long sun shades to stop this from happening, as well as refractive honeycomb lens attachments.
More tools in the toolbox.. so what are you getting at? Are you saying a light is impractical because of the lens glare? Put a lens cap on it and call it good if your worried(which i probably would be) right? take the cap off and use when safe. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think what i'm getting at is that they can have serious drawbacks, and used improperly, can get you killed.
I'm also saying that high powered green lasers do a lot of the same job without a lot of the same drawbacks.

A lot of people have never used or handled a green laser, so i wanted to point that out. :)

To each their own...as always.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts