1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Three and a half seconds on Google image search yielded these results:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had both for a while -- for concealed carry I noticed that with a good holster there was no noticable difference for me. The P2000sk was a bit smaller but there was *for me* not enough difference (so I kept the HK45C since it is, again, in my opinion, a really nice gun).

For concealed carry, I personally find the P30, P2000SK, and the HK45C (and Glock 19/17) conceal about the same and all conceal fairly well but are just not really small or thin.

If you need more fitting clothes, and conceal easier with less weight, I feel you should really look for really small guns, like the Ruger LC9 or Kimber Solo or something. I have the LC9 and it is noticably easier to conceal and much lighter than any HK -- mostly because it is much thinner. However, it shoots mucho worse than the HK45C :) -- it's a trade-off. If I can, I carry the HK45C (which is most of the time).

Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Something is wrong with the mere mention of Kimber and Ruger in the same sentence as HK. Sorry, just rubs me wrong for whatever reason.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
maybe...

Something is wrong with the mere mention of Kimber and Ruger in the same sentence as HK. Sorry, just rubs me wrong for whatever reason.
... a little less HK "snob" attitude :wink:

don't know Rugers, but Kimber makes some fine (and yet still "affordable") 1911's.
I do own their higher-end Super Carry Pro HD .45 (HD models are the ones with stainless steel slide/frame) and it's a true beauty. Love the gorgeous black finish, the build quality and the fit. Not to mention that it out-shoots ANY HK45c in terms of accuracy with the match grade 4" barrel and awesome match trigger.

obviously Kimbers are sometimes pretty tuned and very, very tight slide/frame fits. like all traditional 1911's they can have some issues. If i need a gun to go hiking, getting dirty ... then i pack my HK45. the Kimber is still a nice carry piece for everyday stuff (if you don't mind carrying the heavy steel).

anyways.... don't buy all the "horror" stories being told about anything else dan HK.
I do own a 4Gen Glock (shoots just fine, not a single issue...) , a P226 (same as the Glock, very reliable, well built) and the Kimber. :52:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
+1 here, i think the HK45c is the Best HK made!! It's not a attitude but a Company that set's itself up to be a Top Tier Gun in any model. HK does not use buyer's as Beta tester's as most do!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
:wink:

Ok, I have to admit that the HK45C really rocks. And the Ruger LC9 is of a much lower quality -- I guess having lots of HK gear spoils you a bit, ha ha :) And I have thousands of rounds through the HK45C without any problems whatsoever.
However, the LC9 *does* conceal really well and it has been shooting without problems for me (for about 250 rounds now). I haven't shot it much more since it is just not fun to shoot such smallish gun with such a terrible trigger :-(

I mentioned the Kimber Solo since I know it is about as small as the LC9 and also a 9mm. Others I know of are the Boberg XR9-S, the Sig P290, the Kahr PM9, the Rohrbaugh R9, and the Walther PPS. Of course, none of those shoot well (since they are so small) and if you get any bigger, I would get an HK again -- no compromise!. I think the small 9mm guns are just there if you need ultimate concealment but that is about it. (And there is also a small Taurus and Keltec PF9 but the quality of those is just too flaky IMHO)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've never seen a new Kimber that was worth the price and I haven't seen a single used Kimber work properly. Just sayin.

Ruger is a "meh?" firearm company with "meh" guns. I own several but nothing to rave about or compare to my HK's. I used to be a die hard Ruger fan. That is until I learned that you can have near perfection in other brands.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
I've never seen a new Kimber that was worth the price and I haven't seen a single used Kimber work properly. Just sayin.
... well, what's worth it? Is a $1,400 Kimber Custom Shop expensive? Yes, you bet. Is it cheap compared to a Wilson ($2,500+) ? Yes. Is it more expensive than a $900 HK45. Yes. Is it "worth" the price? That's up to the user.

I for my part had a hard time finding a well manufactured, all stainless steel frame/slide 1911 with a beautiful finish and a match barrel/match trigger for less than $1,500. So yes, I would definitely say that certain Custom Shop Kimbers are worth their price. Not to step on anyones toes... but a Kimber Custom 1911 and a HK45 play in different leagues... one is an ultra-reliable tool with polymer frame and tolerances in the fit designed for combat/dirt and whatnot. The other one is a very finely crafted and tuned (and yes, sometimes "finicky") 1911 which folks use to shoot in competitions with. The finish, tolerances and appearance of my Kimber is WAY above the HK45 I own. Which is fine with me.... because it was significantly more expensive.

Each gun has its purpose... the HK45 is my go to gun for open carry in the woods (moving to WA state :) and the Kimber is more a beauty-queen which will see some fun range time and occasional carry in the city. HKs are reliable tools for me, but I would hardly see a polymer gun with black hostile environment finish and exchangeable plastic backstraps as a "beauty queen"...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have occasional need for a flat, single stack pistol that can fit in a pocket. Unfortunately HK doesn't make one, so I have to look elsewhere. Not that same feel or quality of an HK, but it gets the job done when required.

Still, my SK is usually IWB these days.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have occasional need for a flat, single stack pistol that can fit in a pocket. Unfortunately HK doesn't make one, so I have to look elsewhere. Not that same feel or quality of an HK, but it gets the job done when required.

Still, my SK is usually IWB these days.
PPS. Oh yes, PPS.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yep. I bought an LC9 for my wife but she ended up not caring for the trigger after live-firing it. I haven't carried it yet but will, as occasion demands, after I get a Crossbreed for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts