HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking one up for my VP9SK.....borrowed image from hkparts.net....

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nope here too. Can’t put a light on it then if I wanted and dang thing wouldn’t fit in all the holsters I already have for mine. Plus if I happen to be that close to an attacker to “need” that devise I figure we both dead anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Curious: What, besides aesthetics, is this thing supposed to do?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Allows the slide to cycle while pressed against an attacker for multiple shots. Revolvers are good for that too.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Allows the slide to cycle while pressed against an attacker for multiple shots. Revolvers are good for that too.

This is the first I've ever heard of that being an issue, however I guess I can see how a slide could be affected by loose clothing... Frankly, my training starts at 8.5 to 10 yards and goes out from there, I sincerely hope that in a defense situation that the threat would be dealt with before getting much closer than that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
3x3x3. If I’m correct the statistical average of a SD encounter is 3 yards by 3 shots in 3 seconds. So I do see where it could be an issue but that’s where extreme situational awareness comes into play. Like it should all the time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is the first I've ever heard of that being an issue, however I guess I can see how a slide could be affected by loose clothing... Frankly, my training starts at 8.5 to 10 yards and goes out from there, I sincerely hope that in a defense situation that the threat would be dealt with before getting much closer than that.

The slide does not fully return to battery when pressed against flesh or clothing. That's what happened when George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin while they tussled. One shot, then click.

BTW, I'd suggest starting at 2 or 3 yards, multiple targets as quickly as possible while moving. 8.5 - 10 yards is optimistic at best. Odds are the bad guys (often more than one) will be on you before you know it.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Thinking about picking one up for my VP9SK.....borrowed image from hkparts.net....

There are a number of things that make me think they are useless. The glass breaker/strike point on this one is particular is ridiculous. Using the muzzle of your pistol to strike anything isn’t a great idea. The thought of needing to do so often enough that you need this device is odd. Striking a human with your muzzle and giving them a chance at your firearm that they didn't previously have is dumb. If you are already in a position that this is your last resort, you have failed miserably in all other aspects of training and would probably be better served by training on how to buck people off of you and gaining distance. These devices do nothing to stop a attacher from pushing your slide out of battery from the top and a revolver cylinder can be stopped with minimal pressure too. Best course of action is to get the weapon back into your core and create distance to re-engage.

If you want it because you think it looks cool I have no issue with that since we all don’t like the same things except HKs of course.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with the consensus which seems to be "no". i'd just add a few things:
1. very close range shooting is real concern. a previous poster mentioned an "average" of three yards. That means a lot of them must happen at much closer distances.* As such, practicing retention shooting techniques seems like a better investment of resources.
2. in the event that actually pressing the gun into someone would become necessary you can press the slide forward with your shooting hand thumb to make one shot. I know it sounds crazy and I thought so too when I first heard it, but this is a real thing. We learned it at my club from a very qualified instructor and he made us all try it on a dummy (not going to lie, he had to shame us a bit into doing it :). your thumb does get a little temporary sting, but that's about it.
3. A muzzle punch seems like a 1 in 1 billion scenario. Better off buying lottery tickets than a device to optimize muzzle punching :)

*for example, if one happens at seven yards you'd need more than one happening at less than 3 to get an average of 3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts