HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my mag well cut to use drums. I bought a 100 round drum last week. To my surprise it won't lock in. I have two different rifles cut buy two different builders. Both come close but neither lock in. I'm thinking of taking a little off the drum but 100 round drums are hard to find and kind of spendy. Anyone get a 100 round drum to work in a PTR-32?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
What type drum did you buy? I mean which country or manufacturer?

The cheaper korean ones have a raised lip/rim stamped into them and the mag cut needs to account for it or they will not fit.

In my opinion, the best way to do the mag cut is to buy several of the same drums and then send one with the gun to the smith doing the cutting. That way you know it will work correctly.

Ghilli did my 32 cut and he made it fit my drums perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
John,
+1 for obiefox. Did you have Jeff cut it for you? Jeff recomends no Korean drums. He had good success with these 32's.
Dj

·
Vendor
6,899 Posts
I have never seen 100 round drum. They have to be very very very rare. I would modify the receiver before I would damage the drum. I can say that the American tactical drums are crap. On the weapon itself you would want to see where the drum is touching the sides of the mag magazine well. And in remove the material a little at a time until the drum fits in the place tightly. The only problem that I see is that your 75 round drums may fit loosely in the magazine well. after you do this modification. Good luck my friend if I can be of any help you got my number even if it's just talking to you on the phone as you do the mod I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 100 round drum is Chinese just like the 75 round drum I had Ghilliebear cut my mag well to fit. I have two 75 round Chinese drums that both lock in and fit tight with no wobble. I have a Romanian drum that fits but wobbles a bit. All my drums have a raised lip. I think the whole mag well would have to be cut bigger for it to fit. I don't think it's worth screwing up the fit of my other drums to make it work. The 100 round drums haven't been importable for a while. I paid $275 for it and a carrying bag. It fits fine in an AK but I'm not an AK guy. It's very close to locking up in the 32. I'm going to load it up and hold it in place and see it it feeds. If it works I will file a little of the drum.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/USPSA13/photo2.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John how did you mount that vertical grip. My PTR came without threads on the bottom holes in the handguard.
Thanks
Todd
Do you have a pistol? I'm pretty sure pistols are lacking the threads. A vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW. My rifle came with a short rail that screwed on to the handguard.

I bet you could buy a rail and use some longer screws and a few bolts to attach the rail.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the same situation on my PTR "pistol". BATF made them remove the threads from the bottom holes in the fore-end because of the above concerns. I called PTR and they hooked me up with a special rail that had threaded holes, so it was sort of a reverse bolt on with the bolt heads inside the fore-end and threading into the rail.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I have several 100 rd Chinese drums.. yes they are rare but work flawlessly in my Norinco AKS. Hope to have a drum functional PTR 32 one long off day

You want to talk even rarer? I have a 120 rd AR15 5.56 Chinese drum

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have several 100 rd Chinese drums.. yes they are rare but work flawlessly in my Norinco AKS. Hope to have a drum functional PTR 32 one long off day

You want to talk even rarer? I have a 120 rd AR15 5.56 Chinese drum
Hell, I've got one of those, plus a 75-round drum for the AR in 7.62X39.

·
Registered
216 Posts
John how did you mount that vertical grip. My PTR came without threads on the bottom holes in the handguard.
Thanks
Todd
On my PTR-32, I drilled and tapped EZ-Loks into the lower opening holes of the aluminum guard. I ended doing mine in metric and used metric M3 bolts to mount the rail.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I had the same situation on my PTR "pistol". BATF made them remove the threads from the bottom holes in the fore-end because of the above concerns. I called PTR and they hooked me up with a special rail that had threaded holes, so it was sort of a reverse bolt on with the bolt heads inside the fore-end and threading into the rail.
H

Hey, MY pistol came with the threads! Same as my rifle, and they both take rails.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts