HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WAS EXCITED WHEN MY LOCAL GUN STORE HAD A FEW THIS MORNING. BUT I JUST WASN'T CONVINCED TO SPEND THE MONEY ON ONE. DIDN'T LIKE THE GRIP AT ALL. STILL A FAN OF THE USP AND P2000 GRIPS.

SOMEONE THAT WALKED IN BEHIND ME BOUGHT TWO OF THEM WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT THEM FIRST! I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU NEED TWO OF THE SAME GUN? DOES IT SEEM THAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING THE P30 AND HK45 JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW HK PRODUCTS?

·
Registered
12 Posts
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME!?!?!?!?!??!

THIS IS HK PPPRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Iam hopeing they come out with a .45 Compact. Does anyone know if they would make a SS version? or is that out of the question.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The HK45 grip is so much better than the USP 45s grip it isn't even funny. The P2000 is a 9mm/40, so the grip is naturally going to be better. Just like some people will buy without looking, some people are just going to dislike it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
... I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU NEED TWO OF THE SAME GUN?...
Hmmm? I have at least 2 of all my handguns(different grips, sights, finishes
and barrel lengths)

But, I understand your observations of the HK45. I was hell bent on buying
one but now that I've seen one I'm not so sure.

I want to see the compact model.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, when I first bought mine yesterday, I didn't particularly care for the grip. Of course at the time, I knew the large backstrap was installed, and the dealer there didn't want to install the medium one to see if it handled better for me. I bought it anyway, seeing that I've waited what seemed like forever to get one. True too though, I had a GLOCK 21SF, and GLOCK only made a few snips here and there, which made a big difference in the overall feel from the original 21 model. So with that in mind, I purchased my HK45, hoping for the best with the replacement backstrap. For me, it was like the difference between night and day, really. HUGE improvement over the large backstrap. However, with all that being said, if the gun only came with the large backstrap, I wouldn't have purchased it.

My ONLY complaint are the sight's. I think HK could have put some better one's on there. But I'm sure within time, some good aftermarket one's will be forthcoming.

Personally, I liked the original style of the HK45 which was written up in Shotgun New's. But this new design is awfully nice as well. I would suggest that those who are interested in one of these new guns, but don't like the feel, try to convince your dealer to switch out the backstrap. You may be in for quite a surprise, like me. I really like this new model, not because it say's HK, because it has the feature's that I find desirable. I don't own a P30, as I'll never part with my GLOCK 17's, but for a .45, these new pistol's from HK are sure worth checking out. I'm really glad that I bought one, and I sure wouldn't mind to own a few more..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Yeah, when I first bought mine yesterday, I didn't particularly care for the grip. Of course at the time, I knew the large backstrap was installed, and the dealer there didn't want to install the medium one to see if it handled better for me. I bought it anyway, seeing that I've waited what seemed like forever to get one. True too though, I had a GLOCK 21SF, and GLOCK only made a few snips here and there, which made a big difference in the overall feel from the original 21 model. So with that in mind, I purchased my HK45, hoping for the best with the replacement backstrap. For me, it was like the difference between night and day, really. HUGE improvement over the large backstrap. However, with all that being said, if the gun only came with the large backstrap, I wouldn't have purchased it.

My ONLY complaint are the sight's. I think HK could have put some better one's on there. But I'm sure within time, some good aftermarket one's will be forthcoming.
Personally, I liked the original style of the HK45 which was written up in Shotgun New's. But this new design is awfully nice as well. I would suggest that those who are interested in one of these new guns, but don't like the feel, try to convince your dealer to switch out the backstrap. You may be in for quite a surprise, like me. I really like this new model, not because it say's HK, because it has the feature's that I find desirable. I don't own a P30, as I'll never part with my GLOCK 17's, but for a .45, these new pistol's from HK are sure worth checking out. I'm really glad that I bought one, and I sure wouldn't mind to own a few more..
Just for info, the sights they went with are the only night sights they could legally install in Germany. Legally is probably not the best word, but it will have to do... There is a rule/law in Germany stating they can not use any radioactive material in the manufacture of products there, therefore no tritium. I would expect there will be tritium after market sights in the near future.... perhaps the handguns made in the States will have tritium sights??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I walked into a gun store looking for a Beretta P92 and they didn't have any. I had not been interested in HK pistols too much, and the last one I had was the P9S, which I sold in 1989. Well, they had this HK pistol, the P30, in the case. I saw an ad in Guns & Ammo, and know it was the new HK pistol. I had not read any other info on the pistol. When I picked it up, I knew then that I had to have the pistol, it felt so good in my hand.

If the HK 45 is anything like the P30, I'm gonna get one!

Check out my in progress review at SIG Forum.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3571012701

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Lionhart,

I don't understand your concerns about the sites. These sights are very bright, day and nite. I think they are better than night sights during the day, and almost as good at night. In fact, one really neat trick is to flash the front sight so it stands out vs the dimmer rears. I am quite taken by them. They are excellent--and free. If you want night sights immediately you can send them to tool tech. They will install tritium sights. I would rather have them than install some aftermarket ones that may be the wrong height.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I picked up mine today and I've got to tell you that I'm still smiling. I've been carrying HK USP's on duty since 1994. I've owned many USP's and still have 4.They are great pistols and have served me well but the HK45 is the next evolutionary step and it shows. IMHO everything I liked about the USP line has been made better:
Light rail- Universal
Mag release- Much improved
Selector- Much improved
Slide Release- Improved and Ambidextrous
Grip- Improved but at the cost of 2 rounds
Stock Sight's- Improved with FREE superlumawhatever
Size and Weight- Improved
Trigger- Appears to be a bit improved. Range time will tell.
Does this mean that I'm selling off my USP's. Hell no. My Tac's are just plain awesome. The grip on my .40 Tac W/jet funnel is just perfect. It is my carry weapon until Safariland comes out with a duty holster for the HK45 w/surefire X200.
I can't wait to get to the range. I may have to sneak out into the woods and do a little testing. There isn't a thing I don't like about my HK45(other than 840+tax). I think there will be some higher capacity mags someday. This would address the only thing I felt was a semi-negative change. I can live with 10+1 no problem. I'm good at what I do with a pistol so I have no worries. It was worth it to get the grip where it is today.
Time to dry fire a safe weapon and dream of the HK45 TAC that is in my future.
Ben

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The store I was at wanted $1099!!! I was not surprised because they are about $200 overpriced on every gun. Just a good place to look though.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Maybe he bought 2, so he can hard chrome one, and keep the other black. Thats what Im going to do after the prices settle down. If its offered in OD Green some time - I will have 3 HK45's! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I walked into a gun store looking for a Beretta P92 and they didn't have any. I had not been interested in HK pistols too much, and the last one I had was the P9S, which I sold in 1989. Well, they had this HK pistol, the P30, in the case. I saw an ad in Guns & Ammo, and know it was the new HK pistol. I had not read any other info on the pistol. When I picked it up, I knew then that I had to have the pistol, it felt so good in my hand.

If the HK 45 is anything like the P30, I'm gonna get one!

Check out my in progress review at SIG Forum.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3571012701
My only HK handguns are P7M13s and P7M8s. But I held a P30 at the Mesquite gun show today. Man, did it feel good in the hand. I'm usually not at all picky about the feel of the grip, I can adapt to just about anything. But that thing just felt amazing. The ergonomics of the grip are fantastic.

Crap. Now I'll have to buy one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Kost said:
Maybe he bought 2, so he can hard chrome one, and keep the other black. Thats what Im going to do after the prices settle down. If its offered in OD Green some time - I will have 3 HK45's!
I'd be MUCH more suspicious of the person in question participating in a few straw man sales. In fact the situation in which the OP described is exactly the type of situation gun store owners are supposed to be looking out for, blind purchases, mass purchases, etc. I can't think of anyone who would actually drop 2 grand on a pair of pistols that HE wanted to use without first looking at it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SOMEONE THAT WALKED IN BEHIND ME BOUGHT TWO OF THEM WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING AT THEM FIRST! I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU NEED TWO OF THE SAME GUN? DOES IT SEEM THAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING THE P30 AND HK45 JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW HK PRODUCTS?

I have doubles myself but for cowboy shooting it's kinda needed. Alos have a consecutively 3ed sets tucked away too.
I think part of you describe it the type simply wanting to be the first on the block to have one (or two) and do so just for bragging purposes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The sights are not ideal to say the least, but they are somewhat better than regular sights. They do offer some advantages over non glow types but are nowhere in the same league as tritium. They are nice if you have been out in the sun and then transition into shade. They will glow very nice. As has been stated if you flash the front with a light they will glow and stick out quite nicely. They do offer some negatives. Namely they dont glow without a charge. If you have your gun holstered and have to draw it you will have no glow, essentially you have regular sights. If you keep the gun holstered, but exposed to light, as in around the house without a covering garment, the rear sights will be charged and be brighter than the front, which is far from ideal.

For me the biggest issue with the Superluminove is that people will thunk that they have night sights when in fact they do not. There is nothing like finding out that your sights are invisible when you need them. Charging them with a flashlight before going to see what that bump in the night was is not a good idea. Wastes time and about the only time I want to be giving away my position with a light is while identifying a threat, not standing around with Light pointed at my gun.

They are acceptable so long as you ar aware of their limitations and train around them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I really can't stand it when people complain about it, I have nothing but love for the Hk45 but it is my luck that I can't get my hands on it

·
Registered
112 Posts
As for the original question i am far from disappointed in either P30 or HK45. My only disappointment is in not being able to find one to buy. Given the ergos of the HK45 I am very interested in the compact.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
My only HK handguns are P7M13s and P7M8s. But I held a P30 at the Mesquite gun show today. Man, did it feel good in the hand. I'm usually not at all picky about the feel of the grip, I can adapt to just about anything. But that thing just felt amazing. The ergonomics of the grip are fantastic.

Crap. Now I'll have to buy one.
Gotta admit it is a awesome pistol I love mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts