HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there dislike the P7? There's one in really nice shape at my local FFL for about $700. I just bought a 9mm usp compact so I really dont NEED another small 9mm. However, it's calling me. It is a bit pricey for an impulse buy though (which is why I didn't take it today). Basically, if I'm not a collector, and plan to shoot the crap out of this gun (therefore it's gonna get ugly really quick), and I don't carry a handgun, do I need it? I know a lot of you think this thing is like the holy grail of handguns but does anyone out there dislike it?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I dislike them so much I own a P7PSP and a P7M8. While I don't abuse any weapon I own I don't baby them. They're great firearms and were meant to be used. I frequently carry my PSP. What's not to like about the P7? Nothing else like it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The only thing that I dislike about them is that they are expensive (I wish I could own more then a couple ;)) and tend to get hot after 5-6 fast mag reloads (I wear gloves if shooting for a long time and don't have a problem). Other then that the P7 is close to a perfect handgun. Buy it and enjoy one of the finest handguns ever made.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Have you checked out the P7 Video post? Pretty informative if you're even considering a purchase. I've thought about getting a third P7 I dislike them so much. ;-) As for the heat issue, I wear shooters gloves and its never really caused me any discomfort. Then again I tend not to shoot five , or more magazines in rapid succession.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's not to like?

I just posted this to another forum:

I think the P7 is one of the finest handguns ever made.

Outstanding features that many are unaware of:

1. Cold hammer forged polygonal barrel. Highly accurate fixed design.

2. Gas operated system to keep the slide locked forward until the bullet exits the barrel.

3. Super safe, intuitive, and fast squeeze cocking design. Truly safe carry with a round in the chamber.

4. 110 deg. grip angle. Natural for point shooting.

5. Positive ejection design will eject a casing with the extractor missing!

6. Uniform SA trigger pull for all shots.

7. Has very low bore axis because of it's design. This reduces upward muzzle travel.

I like most of the USP line very much as well.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
The people who generally don't care for the P7 tend to be Colt 1911 fans. Not even getting into the whole 9 vs 45 thing, the function of the gun is so different than what they are use to...they don't like change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I really dislike about the P7 is that I sold my P7M13. Hence my handle.

I had a tactical .45 also, while I really liked it, I loved the P7.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For some reason I couldn't shoot my P7M8 that well...I think I'm the only person in the world with that problem :( . Like an idiot I got rid of it but now am getting the itch to try it out again. Outside of that and the heat issue I loved the gun.

·
2,832 Posts
hated my 1st M8 so much the next day I bought another(turns out consecutive serial #'s) then a pair of M13's, then a pair of P7's and lastly a Jube...:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not a P7 PSP fan at all, but dearly love the P7M8's.

IMO you need the heatshield that is missing on the PSP and I prefer the larger trigger guard on the M8. I also MUCH prefer the ambi mag release of the M8 over the heel mag release on the PSP.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hate my P7.....it makes all my other handguns feel ancient.....even though it is the oldest gun I own. I just wish it could hold 10 rounds (I will take 9+1) but its accuracy covers for that extra round wasted from DA guns.
I hate the fact that it will be my primary carry gun and I hate the fact that I just spent $100+ for a fine leather holster on it and hate all the mags I bought which are built like rocks compared to any other mags I own. It doesn't rattle like my other guns and I hate the fact that it makes me instinctively reach for the bottom of the gun to release the mags and makes me think twice about how to release the mags on my other guns.
I hate the fact that I want another one and know that my wife will not like me buying another gun that i hate.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I started with an M8 and the sickness grew to two M13's and an M10 . . .

Now I just need to find a nice P7 turn-in . . .

·
Registered
651 Posts
never had a chance to shot one, but I think they are an ugly little thing *taking cover now* :26000000:

·
Registered
190 Posts
never had a chance to shot one, but I think they are an ugly little thing *taking cover now* :26000000:
That's the only type of person who doesn't like the P7... those who have never shot one.

Because once you do... you're instantly won over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone who dislikes the P7 should be shot with one.
That's absurd... Like all firearms, the P7 has its pros and cons. I went shooting with several friends for the New Year. Two of the guys are very skilled shooters and they disliked the gun. They thought the recoil was a little sharper than they were accustomed to in a 9mm. A third person who was a newer shooter hated the squeeze cock mechanism and disliked the recoil so much that he quit trying it after three shots.

Personally, I have found the gun to be very accurate and I like the SA trigger. However, I can understand why some people don't like the squeeze cock mechanism or don't like that the gun seems to be one of the dirtier operating guns with its gas piston and cylinder. I have also met people who have issues with the P7M8's mag release button snagging on clothing and prefer the PSP variant. -It's just one of those things where if you put a product on the market, there will be those who like it and those who do not. Coming to a brand specific forum and asking members for their opinion will likely produce a biased result.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't get all geeked up on them like most... I've looked at a few, but I'd rather spend that money on an HK45.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's absurd... Like all firearms, the P7 has its pros and cons. I went shooting with several friends for the New Year. Two of the guys are very skilled shooters and they disliked the gun. They thought the recoil was a little sharper than they were accustomed to in a 9mm. A third person who was a newer shooter hated the squeeze cock mechanism and disliked the recoil so much that he quit trying it after three shots.
Really? That's a new one to me actually... the only 9mm I have ever fired that had any less felt recoil, or muzzle jump was the Walther P5 Compact. Aside from that though, the P7 has been noted by just about everyone, myslef included, to have the least amount of rise or recoil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never could get used to it.

Great engineering and design. I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity; shot it at the range for a couple years. I finally just accepted the fact I don't like squeeze cockers. I sold it and don't regret it.

I switched to USP and now P30.

Try it before you buy it. For you the Emperor may not be wearing such great clothes after all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts