HKPRO Forums banner

Anyone else getting rust on NEW production MP5 mags?

12K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Oicani 
Always been an issue with MP5 mags.
I am a dealer with Birdsong, so I get better pricing then if you called. I'd have to look to confirm, but probably about $20 per mag. Well worth the money.
I've had dozens and dozens of MP5 mags, everything from brand new direct from HK to well used department mags with very worn finish. Many of these mags were stored in an un-air conditioned garage in hot and very humid condition for years. NEVER had any of my mags look ANYWHERE that bad. Now, 93 mags, that's a different story.

...so naturally I'm wondering why this happens to some and not others. I will say that the second I took one out of the sealed bag I noticed my hand print on the mag body and noticed a few days later discoloration in the paint.
Oh, and I'm not cleaning my mags off after I shoot. I shoot them, throw them in a bag when they are empty, then eventually I'll reload them and shoot again. Repeat. Once in a great while I'll wipe them down if and when they start to get dirty. In other words, my hand prints and powder residue sit on these mags for many months at a time. No rust.

So what are your thoughts? Something I'm doing wrong? I've done the same as you with all my HK mags and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. Especially like this.
Something isn't right. If those mags are truly direct from HK Germany, then they did something differently. They changed something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.