HKPRO Forums banner

Anyone else getting rust on NEW production MP5 mags?

12K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Oicani 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought new production MP5 mags from HK a couple of months ago and getting varying array of rust on them. Three have light rust from handling them. I noticed something strange about them when I first opened them out of the factory sealed bag. The other five look similar to the one below and have be used during 2 range trips. It's not a storage issue. Either way, I've cleaned and oiled them since, but I find it interesting and figured I'd share.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
It is a sad, but true issue with the original finish on HK MP5 mags.
That's why I've sent all mine to Birdsong and had them refinished in their Black T finish.
Is this a new production issue only?

What did the Black T finish run you per mag?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
...so naturally I'm wondering why this happens to some and not others. I will say that the second I took one out of the sealed bag I noticed my hand print on the mag body and noticed a few days later discoloration in the paint.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Oh, and I'm not cleaning my mags off after I shoot. I shoot them, throw them in a bag when they are empty, then eventually I'll reload them and shoot again. Repeat. Once in a great while I'll wipe them down if and when they start to get dirty. In other words, my hand prints and powder residue sit on these mags for many months at a time. No rust.
So what are your thoughts? Something I'm doing wrong? I've done the same as you with all my HK mags and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. Especially like this.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Not sure what you mean by "last class", but do you think this might include the ones I bought from you Saab95v6 a while back. Mine are still in the packaging but just want to be on the look out.

What this Birdsong Black T finish people are talking about?
Actually these were bought from a supporting vendor here on Pro and it's not their fault, so not mentioning names.

I also bought MP5 Mags from Saab95v6 and no issue there.

Birdsong is the company HK USA uses to refinished some of their guns. Their work is top notch.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Something isn't right. If those mags are truly direct from HK Germany, then they did something differently. They changed something.
They are German MP5 mags. You know me well enough to be truthful. There could be a chance that one of HK OEM suppliers is the cause of the issue. Either way, it's only rust. It happens. As always, thanks SudS!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Miguel, as you know well, Ben doesn't clean. After our last class, I forgot to pull the three mags he had been using out of the bag when I cleaned the MP5 he had been using. When I did a week later, they look just as bad as yours. These, of course, were the only three that I had not had refinished.
Of course, a good cleaning did the job, but I have to keep them lubricated much more than I would prefer.
Its also why all of the magazines issued with the MP5-N contract also came with the same extra "Navy" coating that the weapons did.
Aye, I do know Ben! What I'm unsure of is why this happens to some HK mags, but not all. I've also seen the dimensions of German MP5 mags vary considerably so I'm figuring it's a manufacturing issue. I'm going to try a couple of different products to see if I can get this rust issue under control, but I might just refinish a few mags at some point, but not at $20 per. I'm sure if I did 10-20 it would be much less. I did email you about it btw.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Oh boy, I wasn't trying to scare people. It's just rust and perhaps treating them with some rust inhibitor like oil isn't a bad thing.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Just want to give your guys an update on my German MP5 mags and solving the rust issue. I've been using a stock wax and a aerosol spray with good results. Short of refinishing the mags, which could be anywhere form $6 to $10 per mag, I've had very good results with both products listed below, but the stock wax will probability be my fix to this problem. I recommend waxing your new production mags prior to use.

Boeshield T-9 Aersol Spray
https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...-prevention/t-9-waterproof-lube-prod9719.aspx

Renaissance Wax
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2227541091/renaissance-wax-rust-preventative-and-gun-stock-polish

Reactions: Superstar
Discussion starter · #57 ·
I purchased some NIW mags about 18 months ago. Have seen the same issue. The mags must have been improperly stored or packed somewhere in the supply chain.
Nope, see post #8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.