HKPRO Forums banner

Anyone else getting rust on NEW production MP5 mags?

12K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Oicani 
I had the issue after the last class , I think we had a light drizzle and they got wet. Came home noticed the rust and re lubed all of them . All of mine were the older generation mags 15 to 18 years old.

Not sure what you mean by "last class", but do you think this might include the ones I bought from you Saab95v6 a while back. Mine are still in the packaging but just want to be on the look out.

What this Birdsong Black T finish people are talking about?

I did a MP5 class, we had light rain or dew for shooting late , so I threw them in a bag without wiping them , and had some light rust on 2 mags out of 14 I took . I use some G96 CLP to wipe the light rust off , now they are good as new.
The new one I sell are all sealed in individual packaging from HK with no visible problems . Maybe wiping them down with quality CLP would be prudent . This is the HK finish problem , not who you bought them from or which batch them came from .
My personal ones ,actually were bought like 15 years ago.

OK sweet. If i was in your area would love to do a class.

Generally speaking here (my mechanical side speaking), preventive maintenance is ALWAYS needed when you deal with metals and mechanics. Yes manufactures make mistakes, don't apply specs correctly, etc., but it all boils down to taking care of your stuff. Rust is almost always inevitable but can drastically be reduced.

Oh boy, I wasn't trying to scare people. It's just rust and perhaps treating them with some rust inhibitor like oil isn't a bad thing.
Now look what you've gone and done......pssshh. So close to an election what else did you expect? hahaah. If Clinton is elected she's going to take all our gun Lube as well.

In all seriousness, this has become a run away train but so funny at the same time. Hey Im on board this train with everyone else as I commented on my own mags that I bought and haven't used. So no criticizing here, just laughing...... a lot.

I have barrels in water-cooled machineguns that are 90+ years old and are only blued and have no rust, and they sit in water that gets boiled off then refilled and poured off but never cleaned or oiled.
WOW, that is very impressive. I wonder what the physics/ mechanics is behind this that prevents them to rust....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.