HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
I have never had any rust on mine, but I do clean them and wipe them down after shooting, and occasionally spray with something like CLP.

My new ones don't have any rust.

It's been a while since I looked at my new ones in the bags, but I think I wipe them all down with lube/protectant after receiving them before putting them away.

My fingerprints are caustic, learned that long ago.

There may be something you've used in the air, like Clorox, or similar stuff in the same room.

Something like pool cleaning supplies (chlorine) in the garage can emit vapors which can cause rust.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Miguel, as you know well, Ben doesn't clean. After our last class, I forgot to pull the three mags he had been using out of the bag when I cleaned the MP5 he had been using. When I did a week later, they look just as bad as yours. These, of course, were the only three that I had not had refinished.
Of course, a good cleaning did the job, but I have to keep them lubricated much more than I would prefer.
Its also why all of the magazines issued with the MP5-N contract also came with the same extra "Navy" coating that the weapons did.
Aye, I do know Ben! What I'm unsure of is why this happens to some HK mags, but not all. I've also seen the dimensions of German MP5 mags vary considerably so I'm figuring it's a manufacturing issue. I'm going to try a couple of different products to see if I can get this rust issue under control, but I might just refinish a few mags at some point, but not at $20 per. I'm sure if I did 10-20 it would be much less. I did email you about it btw.

I did a MP5 class, we had light rain or dew for shooting late , so I threw them in a bag without wiping them , and had some light rust on 2 mags out of 14 I took . I use some G96 CLP to wipe the light rust off , now they are good as new.
The new one I sell are all sealed in individual packaging from HK with no visible problems . Maybe wiping them down with quality CLP would be prudent . This is the HK finish problem , not who you bought them from or which batch them came from .
My personal ones ,actually were bought like 15 years ago.

OK sweet. If i was in your area would love to do a class.

Generally speaking here (my mechanical side speaking), preventive maintenance is ALWAYS needed when you deal with metals and mechanics. Yes manufactures make mistakes, don't apply specs correctly, etc., but it all boils down to taking care of your stuff. Rust is almost always inevitable but can drastically be reduced.

Unacceptable--- one of the many reasons that I do not buy "new production" anything!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Hmm Tony ....you need to use your search function on this forum mon frere :biggrin: There are some older threads on this very topic . This is kind of weird to me because one of the things HK does best is use the right finish for the application . You learn something new everyday, well in theory you should at least......

Hmm Tony ....you need to use your search function on this forum mon frere :biggrin: There are some older threads on this very topic . This is kind of weird to me because one of the things HK does best is use the right finish for the application . You learn something new everyday, well in theory you should at least......
What am I searching for--- just stated my opinion!!! :biggrin:

Tony

I just threw some gloves on and massaged every magazine I have with some ALG Go Juice, besides for the one HK that's still in the plastic wrapper. Should I continue to open it up and give it a coat of oil for the stash storage?

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Oh boy, I wasn't trying to scare people. It's just rust and perhaps treating them with some rust inhibitor like oil isn't a bad thing.

Oh boy, I wasn't trying to scare people. It's just rust and perhaps treating them with some rust inhibitor like oil isn't a bad thing.
Now look what you've gone and done......pssshh. So close to an election what else did you expect? hahaah. If Clinton is elected she's going to take all our gun Lube as well.

In all seriousness, this has become a run away train but so funny at the same time. Hey Im on board this train with everyone else as I commented on my own mags that I bought and haven't used. So no criticizing here, just laughing...... a lot.

I've always wondered why HK magazines were so prone to rusting, having seen so many rusty HK magazines for sale from Eastern US and PNW sellers. It appears that HK uses very high carbon steel and simply electro-plates some dark color onto it. At least the POF and Korean magazines are parkerized to prevent rust.

For high carbon steel cooking knives it is common practice to soak them in white vinegar to prevent rust, rather than having to oil them constantly (and the oil soaks into the knife blocks which is gross), a practice I learned from a grandparent. It does darken the steel so all of my Wusthof knives are a light gray color. Pretty cool. :wink:

This is something that I have thought about doing with an HK magazine or two, but I've only ever had one HK magazine with rust on it and I bought it (used) that way. I don't really have the rust problems in my dry southwest desert environment so even if I did try it on a couple of magazines I'd have a hard time testing the experiment other than to intentionally wet and not clean the magazines, something that is far outside my common firearm maintenance regimen.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.