HKPRO Forums banner

Anyone else getting rust on NEW production MP5 mags?

12K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Oicani 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought new production MP5 mags from HK a couple of months ago and getting varying array of rust on them. Three have light rust from handling them. I noticed something strange about them when I first opened them out of the factory sealed bag. The other five look similar to the one below and have be used during 2 range trips. It's not a storage issue. Either way, I've cleaned and oiled them since, but I find it interesting and figured I'd share.

See less See more
#12 ·
Not sure what you mean by "last class", but do you think this might include the ones I bought from you Saab95v6 a while back. Mine are still in the packaging but just want to be on the look out.

What this Birdsong Black T finish people are talking about?

#10 ·
...so naturally I'm wondering why this happens to some and not others. I will say that the second I took one out of the sealed bag I noticed my hand print on the mag body and noticed a few days later discoloration in the paint.

#14 ·
Oh, and I'm not cleaning my mags off after I shoot. I shoot them, throw them in a bag when they are empty, then eventually I'll reload them and shoot again. Repeat. Once in a great while I'll wipe them down if and when they start to get dirty. In other words, my hand prints and powder residue sit on these mags for many months at a time. No rust.

#11 ·
I've had a couple of my older mag get some light surface rust on them from my fingerprints, just by leaving them in my safe for a couple of days after a range session. It wiped right off with some oil, but I couldn't believe how quickly they rusted. I keep a light coat of oil on all my mags now and I haven't had a problem since. This issue seems to be sporadic, as only a few mags in my collection seem to rust.

#27 ·
Hmm Tony ....you need to use your search function on this forum mon frere :biggrin: There are some older threads on this very topic . This is kind of weird to me because one of the things HK does best is use the right finish for the application . You learn something new everyday, well in theory you should at least......

#22 ·
I have never had any rust on mine, but I do clean them and wipe them down after shooting, and occasionally spray with something like CLP.

My new ones don't have any rust.

It's been a while since I looked at my new ones in the bags, but I think I wipe them all down with lube/protectant after receiving them before putting them away.

My fingerprints are caustic, learned that long ago.

There may be something you've used in the air, like Clorox, or similar stuff in the same room.

Something like pool cleaning supplies (chlorine) in the garage can emit vapors which can cause rust.

#30 ·
Oh boy, I wasn't trying to scare people. It's just rust and perhaps treating them with some rust inhibitor like oil isn't a bad thing.

#37 ·
Now look what you've gone and done......pssshh. So close to an election what else did you expect? hahaah. If Clinton is elected she's going to take all our gun Lube as well.

In all seriousness, this has become a run away train but so funny at the same time. Hey Im on board this train with everyone else as I commented on my own mags that I bought and haven't used. So no criticizing here, just laughing...... a lot.

#38 · (Edited)
I've always wondered why HK magazines were so prone to rusting, having seen so many rusty HK magazines for sale from Eastern US and PNW sellers. It appears that HK uses very high carbon steel and simply electro-plates some dark color onto it. At least the POF and Korean magazines are parkerized to prevent rust.

For high carbon steel cooking knives it is common practice to soak them in white vinegar to prevent rust, rather than having to oil them constantly (and the oil soaks into the knife blocks which is gross), a practice I learned from a grandparent. It does darken the steel so all of my Wusthof knives are a light gray color. Pretty cool. :wink:

This is something that I have thought about doing with an HK magazine or two, but I've only ever had one HK magazine with rust on it and I bought it (used) that way. I don't really have the rust problems in my dry southwest desert environment so even if I did try it on a couple of magazines I'd have a hard time testing the experiment other than to intentionally wet and not clean the magazines, something that is far outside my common firearm maintenance regimen.

#41 ·
I was wondering that too. If blued or just electroplate. You're right, blued steel is barely corrosion resistant. Bluing still requires that oil is applied to prevent rust.

On the other hand there kinds of bluing that are better than others. I have barrels in water-cooled machineguns that are 90+ years old and are only blued and have no rust, and they sit in water that gets boiled off then refilled and poured off but never cleaned or oiled.

#44 ·
Well this thread has been an eye-opener. I was looking into MP5 mags a little bit and solicited some opinions as to german/korean/us made regarding cost and reliability. Never really thought there was a need to search for info about rusting. I am a bit OCD about cleaning and oiling though, I figure I'll be okay. Currently have one german mag still sealed in the wrapper. I'm thinking it's probably safer in there for mid to long term storage than taking it out to oil it.

#45 ·
What kind of wrapper? Even a pinhole will allow rusting.

#55 ·
Just want to give your guys an update on my German MP5 mags and solving the rust issue. I've been using a stock wax and a aerosol spray with good results. Short of refinishing the mags, which could be anywhere form $6 to $10 per mag, I've had very good results with both products listed below, but the stock wax will probability be my fix to this problem. I recommend waxing your new production mags prior to use.

Boeshield T-9 Aersol Spray
https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...-prevention/t-9-waterproof-lube-prod9719.aspx

Renaissance Wax
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2227541091/renaissance-wax-rust-preventative-and-gun-stock-polish

Reactions: Superstar
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.