HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still trying to decide on my first H&K and have handled many and shot a few. I'm pretty much trying to find a good deal on an USPc 9mm, which I do like, but from the beginning have wanted to get a P30. I've shot one at the local range three times, and each time came away hating the grooved trigger guard.

My finger just keeps digging into it or, if I shift my grip a bit, it runs into the left side of the ambi mag release. This gun plus all the ones I've handled have medium grip panels all around. IDK if some other combination that still fits my hand would alleviate the trigger guard issue.

I handled one again today at the gun show and it felt really good until I dry fired it. Am I the only one that the ergo friendly P30 is just not friendly with?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Grind down the TG and use the small straps. I think I'm going to take out the finger peaks on the front of the grip on mine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grind down the TG and use the small straps. I think I'm going to take out the finger peaks on the front of the grip on mine.
I'm thinking maybe the small side panels and/or the large back strap may help. Unfortunately, swapping the panels is not something any of the LGS employees have been willing to do.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I put the large back on mine since my hands are xl caused my finger to go right down into the the groove..put on medium back and large side panel's and felt just perfect and shot great. If i had to use it with the large back strap no way could i use a P30....

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Glad to help, and good luck choosing your first HK. The P30 is a fine pistol, and I would definitely look at the P2000 as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking at the P2000 also. Truth be told, I think it's just as comfortable in the hand as the P30. At least with the mediums all around on the 30 anyway. Different sure, but just as comfortable.

Maybe I'm not too demanding though as I think the grip on the Gen4 G19 is darn near the cat's meow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed this but it doesnt bother me for a 200 round match like IDPA. maybe if I shot 1000 rounds in a day
The third time I shot it, I only put 50rds through the P30 but had a nice blister on the tip of my trigger finger. I may go back to the rental range and since I'm paying money to use it, ask if I can swap the grip panels.

·
Registered
794 Posts

What pistols do you currently shoot? Properly placing your trigger finger level across the trigger face will eliminate the P30 groove issue. Also it will improve your shooting. Bill

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

What pistols do you currently shoot? Properly placing your trigger finger level across the trigger face will eliminate the P30 groove issue. Also it will improve your shooting. Bill
+1 put only the first pad of your trigger finger on the trigger. if i wrap my trigger finger (like you aren't supposed to) i come in contact as well. but if put the first pad of my trigger finger on it, i dont come in contact with the guard and i get proper trigger control, YAY!!. helped me with groups i know that

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the pleasure of taking a 3 day training session at TDI last year with Bowie as an instructor. While he may
be outspoken about what he likes and dislikes, any work he does will be top notch. Dave is a class guy.

Last year I took 2 1911's to TDI and he gave me a blast about 1911's. This year I'm taking 3 HK's, one being a P30 so I guess I can expect to hear about it from Bowie.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I put the pad of the first digit of my trigger finger on the trigger, but as I pull it back, my finger just curves down and into the groove. I own a J & K frame Smith and get to shoot a friends Gen4 G19 fairly often. I've shot the P2Ksk and USP, and dry fired a USPc and HK45c.

In the past I've owned a Ruger P series and a BHP which I stupidly sold. Only the P30 has given me this issue. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the combo of my hand size and the mediums all around on the P30 is placing my hand in such a way as to cause this.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
FWIW, Bowie hates the P30 and I'm skeptical about sending my guns to someone who blatantly says he doesn't like them. Taking out the trench is something ANYONE can do at home. Use a file and then sand paper and go front to back finishing off with the sand paper.
With respect, have you viewed the pictures in the link I posted to the thread on M4 carbine.com? You can click on them to make them larger. While I'm no fan of the stippling job, to me, the work inside the trigger guard looks exceptionally clean. IMO much better then anything "home-brewed".

I've shot the P30 on numerous occasions and while the trigger guard trench doesn't bother me, if it did, this is probably the route I would go.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
With respect, have you viewed the pictures in the link I posted to the thread on M4 carbine.com? You can click on them to make them larger. While I'm no fan of the stippling job, to me, the work inside the trigger guard looks exceptionally clean. IMO much better then anything "home-brewed".

I've shot the P30 on numerous occasions and while the trigger guard trench doesn't bother me, if it did, this is probably the route I would go.
Same here, when i tried the Large BS i was amazed how that change put my finger going right into the the trench..my set up now feel's perfect as Natural feeling gun to handle i own..like a custom grip for me, thank's for the link's!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I use large all around and its lovely

·
Registered
794 Posts
I put the pad of the first digit of my trigger finger on the trigger, but as I pull it back, my finger just curves down and into the groove. I own a J & K frame Smith and get to shoot a friends Gen4 G19 fairly often. I've shot the P2Ksk and USP, and dry fired a USPc and HK45c.

In the past I've owned a Ruger P series and a BHP which I stupidly sold. Only the P30 has given me this issue. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the combo of my hand size and the mediums all around on the P30 is placing my hand in such a way as to cause this.[/QUOT

I was going to guess that you shot a Glock recently. Glocks have a habit of teaching you to drop your trigger finger into the trigger guard at a diagonal. This will certainly cause you to rub the groove on the P30. With some practice of lowering the trigger finger straight down from the frame and placing the first finger pad level across the trigger face, the groove becomes a non-issue. Bonus of this is your shooting will improve. I experienced this first hand as I was in a Glock phase when I bought my P30. Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts