HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think of it? Do you compete with it? Last, what is a fair price for a NIB Expert in .40?

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I had one quite a few years ago. The gun was far beyond what my pistol-shooting abilities were at the time. Even then, I could hit steel plates in the prone position from 75 an 100 yards. I wish I still had that expert, just not in that caliber.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Why not the caliber?
I don't hold the .40 in high regard given my experiences with it since then. Plus, the gun is purpose built for competition, the 9mm just seems like a more logical choice to me for a gun like this. Of course that would be if the Expert in 9mm were equally abundant.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Why not the caliber?
From what I understand, the main advantage of the .40 S&W is that it has slightly better terminal performance than 9mm after penetrating a windshield. 9mm is overall cheaper, I think more readily available, and generally easier to shoot. With good performing JHP rounds, there is very little difference in the terminal performance of the 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

IIRC, DocGKR said unless you are working around a lot of vehicles where a .40 S&W would be nice, 9mm seems like a more logical overall choice for a duty handgun.

·
Registered
534 Posts
From what I understand, the main advantage of the .40 S&W is that it has slightly better terminal performance than 9mm after penetrating a windshield. 9mm is overall cheaper, I think more readily available, and generally easier to shoot. With good performing JHP rounds, there is very little difference in the terminal performance of the 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf

IIRC, DocGKR said unless you are working around a lot of vehicles where a .40 S&W would be nice, 9mm seems like a more logical overall choice for a duty handgun.
Although I REALLY don't want to get into another cal war, I concur... plus add in the price differential of the ammo. Now if it was going to be my duty pistol, the .40 is much more common in the holsters of LE in my area, so I probably would choose it then or if all my other pistols were in .40.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The benefit to .40 in competition is realized when reloading for USPSA. You can load light and shoot Production, or load to major for Limited. You will be at a disadvantage in Limited though, with the limited mag capacity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Although I REALLY don't want to get into another cal war, I concur... plus add in the price differential of the ammo. Now if it was going to be my duty pistol, the .40 is much more common in the holsters of LE in my area, so I probably would choose it then or if all my other pistols were in .40.
I did not intend to start a caliber war and I apologize if anyone thought that was my intent. Just saying that both 9mm and .40 S&W with good JHP loads are good pistol calibers and each have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried the USP Expert in .40 and it was great. I would suggest to go for .40 if you reload and for the 9 mm if you don't, mainly because of ammo cost.
Cost of .40 ammo is similar to .45 and double as 9 mm.
.40 is accurate, soft recoil and easy to reload I like it for fun shoot, pin shooting, IPSC

·
Registered
534 Posts
I did not intend to start a caliber war and I apologize if anyone thought that was my intent. Just saying that both 9mm and .40 S&W with good JHP loads are good pistol calibers and each have their advantages and disadvantages.
You didn't, apologies if my post made you think that. I was just wanting to be sure that I didn't start one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have to disagree a bit with people I ussually do agree with...

First, the expert is awesome. I own USPs, USPc(s), P30's in both 40's and 9mms. Reguarless of caliber the expert is by far the best of the bunch but its a very large long pistol.

If I had my choice between a 9mm and 40 expert, I would take the 40 as I reload (HEAVILY) and shoot my expert in USPSA. The 40 makes major which makes me a bit more competitive compaired to the wonder 9mm STI's and such out there. If I did not reload and just wanted an awesome range pistol, I would go with the 9mm. If you reload, the difference between 9mm and 40 is small. If you dont, you will notice the cost. I do shoot precision bullets through all my HKs (Lead) without issue. I have 10's of thousands of these rounds though my HKs without a single issue ever. A downloaded (minor) 40 is a REALLY soft shooting round. I dont know why it gets so much hate. Pretty versitile in my book.

Now, for duty/carry... different story. I love my USPc in 40 or my P30 in 9mm. I feel either round with a modern bullet is equally effective in the real world.

I think the real question is what is your intent for the pistol?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You didn't, apologies if my post made you think that. I was just wanting to be sure that I didn't start one.
Thanks and no worries. You are not starting a caliber war. It's just that sometimes when I say something on a forum it doesn't come out the way I expected it to so I just wanted to make sure people knew I was not trying to start a caliber war.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I used .40SW Expert for some 3 or 4 years in IPSC competition. I got quite good results, but in pursuit of better arrow I changed it to custom .40SW STI 2011. Now I regret this, I could invest a little into some modifications in Expert, spend rest of money on ammo and most probably I would have better results than I had with STI. Or at least far less malfunctions on stages.

·
Registered
534 Posts
At this point in time, I would be happy to have an Expert in either .40 or 9mm. God, I love the looks of the expert, especially with the jet funnel in place. Considering I have a ton of 9mm ammo, I'd prefer to go that route. Now, if that wasn't the case, I would go based on what another post on this thread stated... look at what you want it for, what will be its primary "mission" & go from there. I do prefer the .40 over the 9mm for duty use. I don't think I'd give over a thousand for one though & you should be able to find a decent used one for that in .40 or .45

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bought one of the .40 Experts from CDNN last year. I got it a week before the US Nationals, put a few hundred rounds through it, and shot it at the L10 Nats. I was really impressed with how well the gun shoots--soft and accurate. Like others, however, I found that it didn't track as well as a P30, and felt kinda 'spongy.' I tried using it for Production down loaded to minor, but didn't really like the way it felt--kind of sluggish with minor 180 grn bullets. I love the gun, however, and I forsee me shooting it in Limited sometime in the future.

If they would only make a P30 Expert. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does it not track well because of the recoil springs?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mostly the dual recoil spring. It works great for it's intended purpose of reducing the actual PSI force at your hand under peak recoil, but what you get is a gun that behaves a bit like a pogo stick. Compare it to an STI 2011 with a standard (and light) recoil spring: The 2011 will 'feel' like it recoils more (even though the energy created between identical loads in an STI and Expert would be the same), but it behaves better. It shoots flatter, and most importantly, it tracks better, and more predictably. It fires, the sights lift, and the sights return to the same place they left from, without having to muscle it back to where they came from. The Expert, while soft feeling, seems to have more muzzle rise, and I have to work harder to get the sights back to where they started from. I have seen a few threads on taking out the second smaller recoil spring, fitting a collar or bushing in its' place, and basically making a solid guiderod, and it seems that this really helps tame the gun a bit. It smacks the hand a little harder in recoil, but it tracks better.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would think someone would have made an aftermarket by now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts